THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Win M70 .416 Reminton Safari Express question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win M70 .416 Reminton Safari Express question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased the above gun and would like to order some Talley bases and QR rings before my gun arrives. I'm traveling and don't have the rear screw distance. Can anyone tell me if it's .330" like my .375 H&H Classic Stainless or the larger spacing (.860"?) like my -'06 Sporter LT?
Thanks,
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You might want to also consider the Jim Brockman pop-up peep sight Talley bases for a big bore like that. Like you I have an older Safari Classic with the .330 rear hole spacing. I'll bet both Talley and Brockman would know the answer to your question.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Scott,
It will have the .330 rear spacing like the 375.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was made 5 years ago and has the .330" rear spacing. Reason I know is I'm looking into the new Leupold "LX Rapid Relocking Mounting System" quick detach mounts and rings for big bores. Said to return to POI even after removing and reinstalling. Problem is they're, for now at least, only available in gloss finish.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents: Thanks for the .330".

Wink: Interesting you should recommend Jim. I bought my last Talley bases and QR rings from him anticipating his pop up would work on my 1.75X6 (it did not on my 2.5X8).

My only problem with Jim's Pop Up peep is that frankly it is no where near as stout a set up as the AO peep. I may reconsider though as I think I use this new scope. Thanks again, ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my impression of the Brockman peep when I got one. Good for emergency use, but not day to day.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I have the exact gun and it's .330. However, I ordered the Talley's and couldn't get it sighted in. I had to go with the Burris Signature, so I could use different spacers inside the ring. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh Yeah,

Off center scope holes.

Sometimes you can correct it by having the holes drilled out to 8x40 from 6x48.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had that problem, but I did have a highly unusual phenomenon this past week. I had just mounted my 1.75X6X32 VXIII on my .375 H&H M70 Classic Stainless in Talley QR rings and bases. Taking the rifle to my "shooting range" in my local hills, my only purpose was to "get it on paper" at 25 yds for that day, spending most of my time chrono-ing my new loads in my -'.06 and practicing my shooting. I had loaded 300 gn Hornady RN's for practice with R22 and 215's.
Much to my surprise, my shots were spot on at 50 yds! I did not change one click of windage or elevation on my scope! I wish I could say that has happened before. It may never happen again. I don't know if that means my screw holes are centered or what, but I'm a happy man! clap Big Grin

SCI, NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Scott, what is the AO peep and how can I find out more about it?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
The AO peep was a ghost ring sight from Ashley Outdoors. After some changes in company ownership (Ashley Emerson, who designed all the sights and mounts is no longer with the company) the company now markets the sights as XS Sights. It’s either exactly the same sight, or so close as to not matter.

These are unbelievably strong and useful sights for a DG rifle. I have half a dozen sets of them on various rifles, including a set on my .458 Lott (which was built by Ashley and David Clay). Until Ashley starts marketing a new design he’s been working on, these are going to remain the best sights on the market.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Charles, thanks for posting the link.

Former Flyer, it looks like the XS sight options are one: a back-up peep which goes on existing scope mounts, or two: a rear peep which I suppose is on a base which screws into the scope mount holes. If you have experience with both, are the back-up peeps as sturdy as the fixed mount peeps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink: How can I improve on formerflyer's comments! They are heck for stout and worthy of a fine DG rifle.

ScottW
"Present flyer!"

SCI, NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Wink:

I haven't tried the backup sights. The major mechanism looks the same, and as long as the bases are sturdy they should be nearly as stout as the standard sight.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote