Notify
Tools

Zambia update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Chaps,

The current situation in Zambia will be beneficial to the industry as a whole. This is not a Kenya/Botswana scenario.

It has now become evident that the Wildlife Department - ZAWA was in complete disarray and is currently undergoing an overhaul and full audit.

A responsible and qualified Board has been recently formed and is chaired by the renowned and respected Guy Robinson.

Some operators have continued to fund anti poaching operations in the GMA's that they were previously attached to. And ZAWA are still active in the field.

Assurances by the Government is that hunting is to resume once it has it's house in order.

The ban on cat hunting is temporary and again requires assessment and investigation. Qualified researchers and personnel including professional hunters have been requested to assist with research. The latter are assisting with others duties in wildlife protection. Whilst I believe that there was pressure from anti hunting organisations, and fingers were pointed at unsustainable quotas in the Luangwa system, the closure was one of necessity rather than emotive.

Whilst some areas are still cloudy, such as hunting in unfenced game ranches and indeed the continuation of the tender process, the general opinion is that the overhaul is long overdue.

The result will be a transparent and more efficient Wildlife management body, enhanced field operations and qualified research in the off take of our iconic species.

Note here that our current tourism Ministry was unsure of the workings of the hunting industry and has done it's utmost to educate itself in the ways of safari hunting. Their recent attendance to the US hunting conventions was beneficial, but probably the most important visual demonstration was the Zig Mackintosh documentary on Lion, which proved again and again that managed wildlife is both a viable and tradable commodity and importantly outlines the financial and social impacts on rural communities in wild Africa. Communities that Governments can no longer afford to subsidise.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good news Andrew.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew glad to hear progress is being made.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news Andrew tu2

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome news Andrew - keep us posted!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Finally, some good news from Africa!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't this a replay of 2001?

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, get the camp ready!

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Zambia needs to be on my bucket list after all.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andrew that is the best news I've heard from Africa in years!

If the good Lord agrees, and the creek don't rise, I'm going to get back to Zambia, my favorite country in Africa to hunt! I nned to blow the cobwebs out of my 470NE double on a good buffalo!

....................................................................... old tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news indeed, good luck Andrew, and to all of the quality outfitters in Zambia. It is some of the best hunting on the continent, period. My '06 safari with Muchinga still rates as one of my best in my career.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
That is some really great news.
Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That is very encouraging. For the sake of you and others like you, I hope this is resolved sooner rather than later. I am sure that living with this day in and day out is quite upsetting and maddening.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome news.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Andrew, after all the doom-gloom news lately, your optimism is refreshing and welcomed! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The fact that the Ministry has requested that the PH's acquire ZAWA (Honorary Ranger) status and help out with wildlife protection and other duties in the interim would indicate that Government is serious about wildlife and the associated hunting industry.

The only disadvantage we can see is the probable loss of income for one year. However the rural communities who thrive on safari incomes will no doubt want to address this consideration.

Basically if we get our shit together then hunting will resume as normal.

And if we can offer Buffalo hunts and our prices are competitive then the Zim lads will indeed have something to worry about.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Bwana,

It is believed the ban was implemented due to the exposed corruption in the tender process.

We could be seeing the same trend which is again designed to clean up the industry.

If I start hunting in the near future I will need mates like you to help support us.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Joyce and I look forward to a future return to Royal. Glad to hear some optimism.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Bwana,

It is believed the ban was implemented due to the exposed corruption in the tender process.

We could be seeing the same trend which is again designed to clean up the industry.

If I start hunting in the near future I will need mates like you to help support us.[/QUOTE

Only if I can bring my brother and Young Tom can work it into his sched.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Joyce and I look forward to a future return to Royal. Glad to hear some optimism.

You built the place mate and the door is always open to you both.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome views, Andrew.

Key question is how we hunters and our organizations can help this process along in both transparency and good science.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Welcome views, Andrew.

Key question is how we hunters and our organizations can help this process along in both transparency and good science.

Regards, Tim

Good question my friend. I will pass this onto the hunters themselves.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew

Great news man im glad they trying to get the bad apples out of the system.

Hopefully i can be one of your first hunters coming thru or rather driving thru to your hunting consession and help with a few animals.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you Andrew

I will be conforming my dates ones these guys have sorted out their mess

Those Roans near you are insane .......

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear its moving forward Andrew.
Looks like you have a full season with just the guys in this string coming to support you.
I am sure looking forward to it.
Best
Steve

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Read your e-mail Andrew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news!!!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Read your e-mail Andrew.

What about the rest of us noosey people? Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Andrew

Great news man im glad they trying to get the bad apples out of the system.

Hopefully i can be one of your first hunters coming thru or rather driving thru to your hunting consession and help with a few animals.

Luan

You are welcome mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news Andrew!

Keep us posted mate.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote