New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanning elephant hides
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been hashed out before but.... Any new recommendations regarding African tanneries for elephant hide? Planning on boots, belts etc, and some upholstery. Kwiktan was recommended. Thoughts?

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri, usa | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter in Harare did my tuskless to perfection. Tell them what your plans are for the leather (thicker and stiff for belts, or soft and pliable for upholstery like my chair). Don't know who they used, but I simply had the cow skinned into 4 panels, then tanned two of them gray and the other two brown. Would use again in a heartbeat and have also recommended to others.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
TCI, cuan@tci.co.zw they will be able to offer a wealth of experience and knowledge!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Andy at chipitani safaris? And I can try the other email as well. Hide is currently in Botswana. See what I can learn.

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri, usa | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
We are based in Zimbabwe and can tan all game skins including elephant at competitive rates. TCI will also make boots and most other leather accessories from your hides.
For more info please contact on cuan@tci.co.zw
I can forward swatches and samples.
Best cuan

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Just tried on a new pair of Merideth and Merideth ( TCI ) elephant boots, half the price of a courtney and the sole is deathly quiet!! I highly recommend their quality hide products.

Marty

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Just tried on a new pair of Merideth and Merideth ( TCI ) elephant boots , half the price of a courtney and the sole is deathly quiet!! I highly recommend their quality hide products.

Marty

Mate, aren't they a bit loose or do you just have very big feet? animal

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Where's Will's opinion on this? He must know a LOT. I'm sitting on a piece of one of his ellies right now. Love the billfold.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16482 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote