THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Last Word in Voltage Converters :)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Last Word in Voltage Converters :)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some time back I told one of you that I had the handiest converter I have seen around, because it is just a single unit that weighs 3 lbs and is 1.5x1.5x4" long, as opposed to a bunch of loose plugs etc.....It has all the plugs built built into one unit...

I found it at last...It is a Radio Shack 50 Watt Foreign Travel Voltage Converter, CAT # 273-1412 Multi Nation travel Adapter...It works in the Middle East, England, Africa,Australia,New Zealand, The Phillipines, and Thailand, for sure and most anyplace else.

Sorry it took me so long to find it, but I have lived here too many years and too much stuff has acumulated I fear...It was in my camera bag, now one would think that is the first place I would look, but such was not the case....

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have one from Samsonite that is just a little larger but is rated at 1,600 watts which is handy if your wife likes to use a curling iron but it uses all those separate adapters. I wonder if there is a difference in the way the wattage ratings are determined?

Once in RSA we stayed in a hotel in Pilgrim's Rest after a week of tent living. Next morning, my wife used the Adapter to plug in her curling iron but forgot to also use the Converter. Wife and our daughters were getting prettied up around the corner when the older daughter called me "Dad, I think you should come here. Your wife is on fire." Using 220 volts in a 110 volt curling iron will definitely smoke your hair.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Great! That is just what my dig-cam needs. I ordered one immediately.

Thanx,

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Would you have a website address for them please?

......Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check for the RIGHT plug for RSA. If I recall, I looked at this one last year and it DOES NOT < !--color--> come with the type "E" plug, which is the one with the three LARGE, round pins. (Ray?)Instead, it has the flat-bladded three-prong common to the UK and SOME parts of Africa.

This is what the Owner's Manual at the RS site states:

Note: For countries that require adapter E, you will need a foreign adapter plug attachment, such as RSU 11650116.

< !--color-->

I wound up buying a 50W converter from the same manufacturer at RS but had to order the proper adapter plug out of the RS warehouse in TX! It made no sense to pay for a bunch a plugs I would likely never use and then have to buy the right one anyway.

I would offer to sell my setup to someone, but a member here just sent me a check that arrived today for it. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, Steve.

Voltage Converter

BUT...you might also check out the Samsonite one, which appears to have the proper plug adapter, too. And the price is right! -TONY

Samsonite Voltage Converter

Samsonite Converter/Adaptor Plug Kit With Pouch SM6235

36-Samsonite Converter/Adaptor Plug Kit With Pouch SM6235Regular Price: $39.99Sale! - Use Coupon Code MOTHER to get an ADDITIONAL 5% OFF the Sale Price of: $24.99You Save: $15.00 (38%)

EDITED: Now that I enlarged the photo of the Samsonnite jobbie, the plug I thought was the right one appears to have three-sided, flat prongs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, my hunters have had the same situation believing that the RS unit would work for them. However,... as you say the correct plug does not come with the kit. It's simple enough to go to the Austin house website and buy the exact kit needed for South Africa. I believe its: www.Austinhouse.com but not sure.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Yup. Perhaps Ray either bought the additional adapter and forgot or used his in a part of Africa that takes the UK-type plug. -TONY

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ad says can't be " ** NOT to be used with power tools or electronic circuitry (computers, fax machines, TV's, VCR's, stereos, battery chargers etc.)"

So what does one use for recharging digital camera batteries?

Thanks

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I think the battery charger it cannot be used for charges car and boat batteries.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50W converter works just fine for charging camera batteries. That's exactly why I brought one. I'm sure they're talking about the heavy-duty car types of chargers. -TONY

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
476NE

Most electronics will have a label on them (or in the instruction manual) that describes the different voltages that they are compatible. If the voltage is correct, it is just a matter of connecting the right plug adapter.

The label may look something like:

100-240 V 50/60 HZ

If this is not the case some converters are used for for more delicate things--I have seen listings, but don't remember where.

World wide voltages link

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Charger I have from Austin House has been in my posetion for 5 or more years now and has been charging batteries for every type of Battery you can imagine. My Cannon digital camera, Sony Video camera, not to mention the dozens of other brands of batteries, motorola radios, Surfire and Streamlight flashlight batteries, etc. etc. It's flawless, small, cheap, and you can 100% get the plugs you need for RSA with it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a small voltage converter with multiple plug adapters that is quite handy as well. Handy, that is, if you have the right adapter. While staying at different places in RSA alone, I've needed three differnt adapter plugs. Very little is truly standard in Africa. After trips to Zim, etc., I gave up on the voltage converter and adapters. I now always carry a little power converter made to plug into the cigarette lighter on a car. It has two outlets (US) on the back, into which I plug my camera charger, etc. It is perfect. I've been in camps without any household electrical power, but never have I seen a hunting camp without a vehicle! These little converters are available throughout the US in many automotive stores, etc. And as an added benefit, they serve the same function on hunting trips in the US when staying in a camp near the road. They can even be plugged into an ATV. They are slightly larger, but far more versatile, and you have the proper outlet to check before leaving on the trip. Most even have clamps to hook directly to a 12V battery in the truly amazing situation where no cigarette lighter is available.

Good luck,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote