New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Zealand or Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some help. I have been in contact with an outfitter in New Zealand and one in Namibia that I am very interested in. I can not decide where to go.
The pros and cons as I see them are pretty equal. Here is the situation:
New Zealand for Tahr or Namibia for Eland, Zebra, Red Hartebeest, and warthog. Cost exactly the same.
I will be taking my wife as a non-hunter and she is excited about either option. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DR C ,Looks like Namibia. I havent been to NZ,but your bag limit looks better in Africa. Also additional animals are much cheaper to add on in Namibia.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr C,
Namibia, but add in kudu, gemsbok, and springbok to your list of animals to hunt.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hope to hear more.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I haven't been to New Zealand, I think that is where I would go. Of course, I am going back to hunt in southern Africa in 2005, and haven't scheduled a NZ hunt yet, so don't take what I am telling you very seriously.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've taken the wife to RSA & NZ. She enjoyed the African hunt but she loved the "vacation" in NZ. I enjoy mountain hunting & Tahr are tough to hunt do to the terrain. Your wife won't be along on that one unless you are using a helicopter More hunting, same cost, I would go to Namibia in a heart beat.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Tooooo diversly different to say what you should do, a lot depends upon what you personally want and your budget, and of cource what your dear wife wants as well, if she is an outdoors person not afraid of the elements ... if you dont have a budget concern here is my suggestion ... buy a round the world ticket and do both, what a wonderful adventure that would be, hot dry and wide open spaces in Namibia with an array of plains game species to hunt, then the mountainous snowy colder climate with the alpine hunting and the fantastic scenary and facilities of a first world country .... decisions decisions decisions ....

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to throw water on your parade but you ought to look at the posts started by rslu. He details the added expenses of getting trophies from Namibia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, That would be a nice problem to have. So much money I don`t know where to hunt first. Unfortunately I have to save for a long time to make one of these trips. Thanks to all for your suggestions so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.C,
Without a doubt,Namibia would be my choice. After your hunt is completed,take your wife to Vic Falls for a few days. We were just there in Sept. 2003. You and your wife can do so many things that are fairly inexpensive due to the current exchange rate. Some of the activities for you and your wife to do are eating lunch on Livingstone Island,Zambia, overlooking the falls,dinner steamtrain ride from the Vic Falls hotel into Zambia, elephant back safari. I have been on four hunting safaris to Africa and cannot wait to return. Best of luck on whichever trip you choose.

Kathi

Posts: 9367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
That Tahr sounds expensive if the hunts add up to the same.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote