Find
Notify
Tools

Congo in the 60s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I've just read "111 days in Stanleyville" by David Reed - and despite all the things I've seen & done in Africa over the years I never really knew how terrible the Simba revolt really was. The inhumanity is simply mind boggling. - If you think the political problems of countries such as Rhodesia & Kenya were bad then you "ain't seen nothin yet"

I'd recommend this book to anyone who is seriously interested in the history of Africa and the African phsyche.

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that I have the time to read the book, but I would like to read your further elaboration! Would you offer it? Thanks in advance Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Was it worse than what the region has just been going through? Genocide, political mutilations, etc.

Just wondering.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's the true story of what happened in Congo in 1964 when a group of Africans called the Simba's siezed what passed for the major cities.

They help power until Mad Mike Hoare and his mercenaries along with Belgian troops with US air support kicked them out......The torture and murder done by the Simbas was truly appalling ......but the mercenaries weren't angels either.....

One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
It's the true story of what happened in Congo in 1964 when a group of Africans called the Simba's siezed what passed for the major cities.

They help power until Mad Mike Hoare and his mercenaries along with Belgian troops with US air support kicked them out......The torture and murder done by the Simbas was truly appalling ......but the mercenaries weren't angels either.....
It got very sticky there for a time, my uncle closed down his farms and moved eveyone in to town. I lost my job as the garden gard for a few summers. The baboons were learning about the accuracy of the .275 Rigby . I was too young to understand it all, but knew it was very serious even in Rhodesia. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Steve

A lot of those mercenaries were from Rhodesia whom went in to rescue the expats and of cource knock some sh.t into the troublemakers as well ...

Yes you are correct, they (the mercenaries) were not Angels BUT then are there any Angels in war, I dont believe so, only killers and we need to understnd that, not like some of the modern day thinkers whom expect the troopies to be pacifists ...

A number of the hostages and other expat people saved were flown to Rhodesia, I remember those times well ... and NO I was not one of the mercenaries, I dont really have the heart for that game of death myself, at least not by choice that is

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Its events like that, that makes people wonder why anyone wants to live in Africa who has a choice. And the mentality of the 'common black man' and their ability to change eg Rwanda.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Its events like that, that makes people wonder why anyone wants to live in Africa who has a choice. And the mentality of the 'common black man' and their ability to change eg Rwanda.
The so called mau-mau uprising wasnt any better in Kenya about 10 years earlier. It started to fall apart around 1953 after a brutal massacre at Lari ,their local support started to decline. The Gikuyu tribe were the keystone to this butchery. In 1954 their central network was destryoed by the gov. I dont remember the chaps name who led the gov. troops, but he later guided Water Buff. hunts in Brazil. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote