New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant meat?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I understand some of you guys here at the forum have been hunting for elephant and I was curios about how and if the meat is taken care of. I realize of course the logistics problem of getting an ele out of the bush, but still, thats a lot of meat lying there..

Best Regards

Posts: 20 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
This probably should go in the humor forum, but please forgive me, it seemed appropriate.

The hunter decided to take a few days before his safari and do some sightseeing. Getting hungry, he stopped in a small restaurant. As he is sitting at his table, he sees a covered dish served to the person at the next table. The cover is removed with a flourish and there are two humongous round pieces of meat!
The waiter comes and asks for his order. He immediately says, "I'll have what that gentlman is having."
The waiter informs him that this is a special dish, Elephant "Oysters," and not available every day. He has heard that, tomorrow, a new serving will be available. The man agrees to come back the next day for that specialty.
The next day the visiting hunter appears at the restaurant, very hungry, and sits down. The waiter sees him tells him his order will be ready in 15 minutes.
The time passes; the dish arrives. With a deft swirl, the waiter removes the silver cover and reveals to small pieces of meat, about the size of large marbles.
"What is this?" the hunter inquires.
"Ahh, but you do not understand," the waiter says. "Sometimes the hunter is not a good shot and the Elephant wins."
Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
No problem...takes about 4 HRS and nothing is left but the blood!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Roscoe's right. In my case, they even swept over the bloody areas with branches so no one would even know what happened in that particular spot. A sort of, "Leave No Trace" as the Boy Scouts would say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
KJL,
To be specific. After hunting the elephant and taking the photos in the Mamili Reserve at the bottom of the Caprivi Stip in Namibia, I cut the tail off for trophy and to enjoy as elephant tail stew the next night (Our hunting vehicle a refurbished South African military transport truck (SAMIL) had a freezer.) We then drove over to Malengalenga village that is on the north edge of the Reserve, and the village chief named a dozen men as the harvest team. I paid for gasoline or diesel (can't recall) for the school principle's pickup and we headed back. The team arrived in early afternoon and spent 24 hours taking out what must have been 2,000 kg of elephant chunks. My PH, Ken Morris, did some repairs on knife wounds from overeager butchers. Had some delicious grilled elephant at breakfast the next morning when we returned to help turn the beast over and eventually to shuttle back home members of the team and the last load of elephant.
The elephant tail stew was delicious, cooked in a cast iron pot (poikekus sp?). We also took a chunk of filet about three feet long and seven inches or so in diameter. If you have cooked a pot roast of beef, you'll recall that when it's done, the beef fibers tend to separate. Elephant also does that only the individual fibers are about three times the size of beef. It's a coarse meat, can be tough, but is very flavorful.
Regards, tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Tim,
you talk about the filet...I was amazed at how small the Back Strap was on Elephant. I expected the mother load of all straps....I bet it was less meat than cattle. As for eating, we had the cheek meat...I will stick to Eland!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took three hours from start to finish with an experienced recovery team and four and a half with a less experienced team. Very little is left. Even the leg bones were taken. A happy, singing, joking crew! While there was the big comunal pile everyone had their own stash too, even the game scout.

I also had elephant stew made from meat from the cheek. I thought it was excellent. The PH told me that the cook must like me because he stewed it an extra day!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info and great stories!

Posts: 20 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote