THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A CASE FOR PREMIUM BULLETS ON LARGE GAME

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A CASE FOR PREMIUM BULLETS ON LARGE GAME
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I posted this elsewhere, but I think AR Forums might just illicit more responses:
I know a lot of you have hunted elk sized game and larger with non-premium bullets, Hornady Interlocks, Sierras, Ballistic tips, etc. The enclosed picture depicts several (3) 375 H&H 300 gr Swifts and one 180gr Hornady Interlock from a 300 Weatherby. The Swifts were recovered from an eland (shoulder 175 yards) Zebra ( shoulder 125 yards) and Wildebeest (center of chest 65 yards). The Hornady was recovered from an impala ( shoulder quartering towards the shot 80 yards). The Swifts all weighed close to their original weights 298, 297 and 265grs while the Hornady weighed 80. It is obvious from the picture that the Hornady shed it's core and "should" have gone all the way through a 90 lb impala. So it begs the question, had that impala been an eland or even an elk sized kudu and the bullet hit the shoulder, would the 180 Hornady( or other so-called "non-premium") have done it's job as well as a 180gr Swift, Fail Safe, X, etc? I know there is a wealth of difference between the 375 and a 300, but I think you folks know what I am trying to get at. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

I cannot agree with you more and that bullet out of a 300 was really screaming and just fell apart...Is a good case for premuium bullets with speed if you want it to have terminal performance especially on something bigger...

Mike

going to Zim in August for Buf with the Lott..

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For me, anytime my impact vel. has a chance of being more than 2600-2700fps, I want a "premium" bullet that hold together. It seems that most "standard" bullets are designed around that vel. range. I've seen 180gr 06 bullets "blow up" on heavier game animals shot in close.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that one can "afford" to use non-premium bullets when spending valuable time & money on a hunt. Am I going to spend $10,000 on an African hunt only to save 75 cents by not using the best bullets that I can? I don't think so. Now, that doesn't mean that I always want the "toughest" bullet available- in many cases I'd choose a partition or trophy bonded over a fail safe or X- but you won't see me launching a 10 cent power-point at a $1500 Kudu.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
but you won't see me launching a 10 cent power-point at a $1500 Kudu.

EXACTLY! I'm nor sure it's for econmy sake. I think too many hunters are enamored w/ their sub moa bullet choices & won't hunt w/ a bullet that shoots moa but allows a geater flexability on shot angles (JMO).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote