Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
COVID is increasing .

This judge was basically just given the authority to issue mask mandates. Forgot his name.

I am concerned .

Clay Jenkins, that is his name, he is the Dallas County Judge and has issued several idiotic orders (in my opinion anyway).
The State of Texas gives a lot of power to these county judges (I'm sure one or more of the Texas attorney's who post on here could elaborate) and this one seems to enjoy his authority and favors mask mandates.
The City currently doesn't require masks in City owned buildings according to their website, but the City also says they will follow any local orders. Might be bad.

If my memory serves me correctly , this judge is the same guy who issued some lockdown orders .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:

If my memory serves me correctly , this judge is the same guy who issued some lockdown orders .

You are correct. It got to the point that the county commissioners started limiting his powers.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Realize this affects the convention area but if you want to skirt this after a day at the center you can hop up to Collin County (Frisco, Plano).
Enjoy the same evening dining without the mask.
Just up the Dallas North Tollway.
Probably Tarrant county as well over at Grapevine.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
quote:

You are correct. It got to the point that the county commissioners started limiting his powers.

He also curried favor with Obama back then by housing illegal immigrants in the very same convention center, even though it’s city owned. He was on the tarmac each time when Obama arrived. That being said, he is quite liberal and not likely someone who would fight for or want a hunting convention.

It’s a strange form of governance. The County Judge is like the mayor of the county and the ranking official on the county commissioners court. Unlike the title may suggest, he is judge of the commissioners court only. The county judge does not have to be an attorney, although Jenkins is one.

I think he’s a power hungry prick and can go piss up a rope.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation Marcus. This makes a lot more sense to me now. This jack ass……uh…gentleman is not a judge in the traditional sense .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
County judges can hold traditional court as well and do in many counties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
After today’s announcement that the Biden Admin is banning travel from Southern African countries, will DSC & SCI still be held? I’m guessing 75% of African PH’s hunt the countries now banned from coming to the USA. Looks like it’s gonna be another tough year for African safari operators.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
County judges can hold traditional court as well and do in many counties.

Yes, I believe they can just as a Justice of the Peace, who can hold court over small claims, traffic tickets, issue marriage licenses, etc.

They are elected officials, yet I believe serious matters (felonies, family cases) are directed to District Courts. Rural areas may have one District Court with jurisdiction for many counties.

What confuses me is the whole origin of the virus. I believe it did start in Wuhan and has now gone viral (please excuse the term, but appropriate). These mutations are scary, but it’s still something like 99% survival rate.

I recently read that 800,000 people died over the past year of heart disease in the United States.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone gets an update on the DSC show, I'd love to hear it. Need to make travel plans... or not, and now is the time for best ticket prices.

Would be looking at southern African hunting, so highly concerned about travel bans for the operators.

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
We will be attending and available for anyone who wishes to discuss getting your trophies home without any hassle for you.

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got an e mail this afternoon. Sounds like, as of now, things are still on. They specifically mention the travel restrictions.

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are going as of now.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We’re still booked, but have not made the final decision as to whether or not we will actually go now.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going. Hotel reservations have been made, so at a minimum, my wife and I are going to have a nice long weekend in Dallas, but I really want to go to the convention, the show, and the dinners.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'm going. Hotel reservations have been made, so at a minimum, my wife and I are going to have a nice long weekend in Dallas, but I really want to go to the convention, the show, and the dinners.

+1 or actually 3 of us

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote