THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What could top hunting DG in Africa..?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could top hunting DG in Africa..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Machu Picchu, Komodo Island, Tierra del Fuego - in other words, the whole 9 yards of the bucket list.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be able to fight bulls on horseback. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-3Jv7p85M

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Nothing is better than hunting in Africa. Alaska does not come close. The only way to improve the African experience is to bring someone special along. Such as Stormy Daniels. That would make for a fun night. Errrr, I mean (at my age) a fun five minutes.
Cal

Odd you should say that as my wish would be taking on a grizzly next to a clear water river heaving in Salmon and Trout.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting man eating tigers in a machan, hunting tigers from elephant back, spearing wild boar on foot, hunting lions on horseback, hunting man eating leopards in India, running down deer in a chariot, hunting cape buffalo in the sugarcane at night, hunting lions with dogs in sugarcane, hunting crop raiding elephants at night.

Lot's of things in the past and a few currently where or are way more exciting in the world of hunting.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
no doubt about it, going for a ride with a blue angel.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Earning my Distinguished Rifleman's Badge and NRA High Master Classification. If I would quit doing stupid things in Leg Matches I could get my points.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Nothing is better than hunting in Africa. Alaska does not come close. The only way to improve the African experience is to bring someone special along. Such as Stormy Daniels. That would make for a fun night. Errrr, I mean (at my age) a fun five minutes.
Cal

Odd you should say that as my wish would be taking on a grizzly next to a clear water river heaving in Salmon and Trout.

What could top hunting DG in Africa?

My first thought was NOTHING! but meeting an Alaskan brown bear in the thick alders that is the size of Volkswagen with hair comes pretty damn close!

…………………………………………………... Eeker old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/udOvVcIgUp0

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
headhunter: I am in my late 60's, but when I was in my early thirties a good friend (my age, now deceased) had the same wish. Somehow he finagled it, and it was even televised on one of the MSM shows (20/20 or 60 minutes, I forget). When I asked him what he remembered the most about the experience he told me that the pilot, whom he met with the night before, gave him some good advice: "only have a banana for breakfast". When he asked him why, the pilot told him "because it tastes the same coming up as going down". My friend told me it was good advice barf

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
headhunter: I am in my late 60's, but when I was in my early thirties a good friend (my age, now deceased) had the same wish. Somehow he finagled it, and it was even televised on one of the MSM shows (20/20 or 60 minutes, I forget). When I asked him what he remembered the most about the experience he told me that the pilot, whom he met with the night before, gave him some good advice: "only have a banana for breakfast". When he asked him why, the pilot told him "because it tastes the same coming up as going down". My friend told me it was good advice barf

Yep. Same advice I always gave guys who had a chance to ride with me when I was flying the 2 seat Skyhawks.

Good advice. It's a much more physical event than you would think it to be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting a grizzly (brown bear) in a river full of salmon is a fabulous experience. I got the tee shirt.

Back in 1980 I visited Nico van Rooyen taxidermy and he had a three cats side by side - leaping.

A wild lion with a sparse mane, a canned lion with a fabulous mane, and a tiger. I was told that it cost the guy $7,000 to shoot it in South Africa. About twenty years later a fellow in White River told me of the tiger shoot but I can not remember the details any more. A canned shoot will do that to me.

If I could hunt anything in the world - it would be a tiger.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cal

best hunting paradise vision ... you should come over ... a shame i cannot guide you ...

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To hunt DG in Africa with Theodore Roosevelt; supply booze to Hemingway, Churchill, and Ruark, and to hunt tigers from elephant back with a Maharaja. No need to wish for the ladies-they would be there already.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
quote:
Cal

best hunting paradise vision ... you should come over ... a shame i cannot guide you ...

You could always try.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:

I was in India about 20 yrs ago, and walking down a dirt road through a small village. It was one of those days when the air was still, and temperature was simply perfect for an easy walk. As I walked slowly enjoying the nice day, I noticed down the road bout 40 yds was a thatched shade over a milking place where the natives milked there cows in the morning and late evening.
Suddenly I noticed something coming down the road toward me, and at almost twilight I suddenly realized what I was seeing was a large male tiger walking straight at me. At the same time the cat noticed me and lowered his head and started a slow crouching walk with his eyes glued on me. I was closer to the thatched milking shade and not being armed I thought I might beat him to the thatch roof of the pin and maybe I could get on top of it before the cat got to me. Then it became evident that that was not going to save me because a Tiger can mount to top of a elephant with only one jump. The fear was stabbing me in the heart like a dagger. About then …………….I WOKE UP IN A SWET AND SHIVERS IN MY BED IN THE DFW/FORTWORTH METROPLEX OF TEXAS!

………………………………………………….. Eeker
………………………………………………………………………. jumping It wasn't funny at the time but it was sure scarier than any buffalo I've hunted! old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much tops Buff and Ele with a good tracker and open sighted double, both in which you have a lot of faith. Lucky to have done a bit of it.
These days its a small bore Parker and a hell of a Setter grouse dog. Same faith,and Lucky as hell to have.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great post.

Nothing compares to the sight of a wild tiger at 5 yards distance (while I am in a vehicle or on elephant back! Wink )

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:

I was in India about 20 yrs ago, and walking down a dirt road through a small village. It was one of those days when the air was still, and temperature was simply perfect for an easy walk. As I walked slowly enjoying the nice day, I noticed down the road bout 40 yds was a thatched shade over a milking place where the natives milked there cows in the morning and late evening.
Suddenly I noticed something coming down the road toward me, and at almost twilight I suddenly realized what I was seeing was a large male tiger walking straight at me. At the same time the cat noticed me and lowered his head and started a slow crouching walk with his eyes glued on me. I was closer to the thatched milking shade and not being armed I thought I might beat him to the thatch roof of the pin and maybe I could get on top of it before the cat got to me. Then it became evident that that was not going to save me because a Tiger can mount to top of a elephant with only one jump. The fear was stabbing me in the heart like a dagger. About then …………….I WOKE UP IN A SWET AND SHIVERS IN MY BED IN THE DFW/FORTWORTH METROPLEX OF TEXAS!

………………………………………………….. Eeker
………………………………………………………………………. jumping It wasn't funny at the time but it was sure scarier than any buffalo I've hunted! old

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As to hunting other dangerous game, my current interest would have been Jaguar. Or, if looking back in time at the 'big game' of the past, some of the prehistoric big boys, with double rifles of course. Big Grin I would also think that hunting a big Alaskan brownie with a bow in thick alders would be more than exciting. . . . tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standing behind Sasha Siemel while he kills a 400lb Tigre with a spear would be interesting!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
As to hunting other dangerous game, my current interest would have been Jaguar. Or, if looking back in time at the 'big game' of the past, some of the prehistoric big boys, with double rifles of course. Big Grin I would also think that hunting a big Alaskan brownie with a bow in thick alders would be more than exciting. . . . tu2

Well I can tell you the arrow better be on the right spot, like the brain, because any place else will get you scratched for sure, because in the alder thicket you can't see more than five feet in any direction.

…………………………………………………………….. Eeker shocker old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yep, you're right. I saw a video of a bow hunter arrow a big brownie years ago from a short distance. To say that was exciting was an understatement. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I’d like to hunt rabbits and quail again. Not on some big fancy deal with a highly trained dog and guide. Just go out with grandpa’s single shot 12 gauge and my good friend Doug like I did way back in JR high. We’d stomp brush piles and thickets. Come home with a 4 or 5 quail, a couple of rabbits and maybe a dove. Of all the great hunts I’ve been on those were the purest and most memorable.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Colorado river through the Grand Canyon is an epic adventure unlike anything in the world. I’ve been able to do it twice.

Saeed you would love it.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting a grizzly (brown bear) in a river full of salmon is a fabulous experience. I got the tee shirt.

Just watched some brown bear hunting and charges on You Tube and those things are friggin huge. If I was a guide I would have a double rifle. Alaska is spectacular and looks as if it can offer some of the finest hunting anywhere.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat the complete African experience. I could never tire of it. I wish I had the opportunity at a polar bear: Just once...and bring it home.
Perhaps score on the first or second day. Mighty cold up there.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was raising and training my own mtn lion dogs and chasing them in the mountains of Wyoming. Chasing lion dogs at considerable elevation thru the ice/snow covered rocks and cliffs often would tax my religious streak in me.

Though, back in 1989 I hunted polar bear with my recurve bow homemade wooden cedar arrows with the Inuit of Canada that was a fantastic hunt as well.

Prior to that hunt with the same recurve bow and homemade arrows a Yukon grizzly came real close after I had poked him. In his rush to grab what ever caused his chest to loose air. I could have touched him but he was so determined he knew where I was from the sound he thought he heard at the shot that he missed me by arms length as I didn't move and he went right by me. That hunt was done with no rifle back up.

It has been a privilege to have hunted Africa as well but it is not near as physical demanding as the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming and I'm glad I did this when I was younger and healthier. I never came close to getting stomped or mauled in Africa but respect the danger of those animals. I have almost been bit by several mtn lions in caves and coming out of trees fighting the dogs but I did that for over two decades.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a much younger age, I rafted a lot of Class 5 whitewater, and twice had the privilege of rowing the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon-16 days each time. An incredible and scary experience, but I think an elephant hunt, (which I have done), or a brown bear hunt, (scheduled next month), done properly, and up close, beats out the river trip. Digging angry cougars out of caves sounds a bit over the top for me, though!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cal

Andrew,

Alaska is great! There's really some amazing hunting, country, and animals up here. The hunting isn't always easy and success is never guaranteed, but I love it. The effort is definitely proportional to the reward (for me) and that is even more so when successful. The ultimate for me is sheep hunting. It's virtually always a difficult hunt both physically and mentally and the country can't be beat.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote