New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Camo Hat allowed in RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at my floppy, wide-brimmed hat collection and considered wearing my desert camo hat from my Marine Corps days to hunt in RSA. Read here somewhere that camo of any type is illegal in some parts of Africa. Is it illegal, or unwise, in RSA?

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
It shouldn't pose any problem as long as you confine wearing it to the hunting area. Don't wear it around town or while in transit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So far it has not been a law that is enforced, but with todays changing world, new gun laws going into effect, terroism running rampant, and so fourth, I would not let such a minor choice as a hat get in the way of my Safari, I guess my question to most who want to stretch the string is Why? It just ain't worth it, because if things did go tits up in the third world, the price is often very high....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of my fellow PH's wear Camo all the time, Many of My hunters wear camo for the whole trip. Never a problem in the hunting area.

However there have been stories of a woman with a floral print dress being arrested for wearing "camo". It's really up to the officer who has nothing better to do, I suppose. While in the hunting area it's not very likely you will come into contact with anyone from out side the outfitters employ. I would not worry about it myself. I don't wear camo or care for it so it's not been an issue for me. I also rather doubt that anyone from Law enforecment would be scanning the bush searching for a hunter in camo. Don't wear it around Joburg or any towns and you will be fine. As Ray says though, why push the limits. It only takes one jackass to screw up a few days of your trip.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray also. Something that minor is just not worth the trouble. Do yourself a favor and go to noggintops.com and have a little fun. That's what I did.

Good luck,

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

If it was legal, I'd probably bring the sentimental favorite, but since it's not I agree: stupid thing to try to stretch if it has any chance of giving you trouble later.

Thanks for the noggintops suggestion. Neat site.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote