THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Canada bans import, export of elephant ivory&rhino horns including hunting trophies

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada bans import, export of elephant ivory&rhino horns including hunting trophies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/...g-trophies-1.6653552

LINK HAS PRESS RELEASE, NEWS VIDEO AND GOVT. SITE.

Canada bans import, export of elephant ivory and rhino horns including hunting trophies

Alexandra Mae Jones
CTVNews.ca writer
Follow | Contact
Published Nov. 20, 2023 9:36 p.m. CST

In a bid to help protect elephants and rhinos amid plummeting biodiversity worldwide, Canada has banned the import and export of hunting trophies containing elephant tusks or rhino horns.

The change comes as part of an overhaul of the permit process for transporting ivory goods derived from elephants or rhinos, which the federal government announced on Monday and which narrows the giving of permits to very specific situations.

"With the fast decline of African elephant populations and threats to rhinoceros populations due to poaching, Canada recognizes the importance of further limiting elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn trade to Canada," Minister of Environment and Climate Change Steven Guilbeault said in a press release.(opens in a new tab)

"Stricter regulatory amendments announced today will ensure Canada continues to do its part to protect these iconic species for generations to come."

The import or export of raw elephant tusk and raw rhinoceros horn without a permit was previously prohibited and will continue to be.

However, permits will now only be issued if the tusk or horn in question is being transported for use in a museum, zoo, for scientific research or to support a law enforcement investigation in some way.

This means that big game hunters will no longer be allowed to obtain a permit to transport a hunting trophy containing elephant tusks or rhinoceros horn into Canada.

Conservationists, who have spent years calling for hunting trophies to be banned in Canada, lauded the move.

"Elephant and rhino populations have been decimated by global trade in their parts, and poaching causes considerable suffering to these incredible animals," Kelly Butler, campaign manager for Humane Society International (HSI), said in a Monday statement celebrating the announcement.(opens in a new tab)

"In banning trade in elephant ivory and rhino horn, the Canadian government has shown considerable leadership and reflected the will of Canadians and the vast majority of African nations holding elephant populations. At last, Canadians can rest assured that our country is doing our part to ensure these majestic animals have a future."

According to HSI, the African elephant population has declined by 96 per cent over the last century, and poachers in Africa kill as many as 25,000 elephants and 1,300 rhinos every year. Poaching is the most significant threat to these species, experts say.

Musician Bryan Adams, who has been a prominent voice in the call to ban the import of ivory in Canada, said in the HSI release he is "thrilled that Canada has listened to the overwhelming number of Canadians who demanded action to end the senseless killing of elephants and rhinos.

"The policies enacted by the Canadian government set a powerful precedent for countries around the world to join the fight to protect elephants and rhinos."

The government also announced changes to the permitting process for items made with worked elephant tusk and rhinoceros horn, meaning ivory that has been carved, shaped or processed in some way. This can include jewelry, furniture inlays, game pieces and even pianos made before most manufacturers replaced their ivory keys with plastic ones in the 1970s due to ethical concerns.

All items containing worked elephant tusk or rhino horn will now need a permit to enter or leave Canada, even personal or household items.

The government clarified that this still applies to items produced before July 1975, which is when Canada first ratified the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Between 2015 and 2021, around 14 elephant tusks and two rhinoceros horns were imported into Canada each year, according to the press release. For years, advocates have been calling for the trade of elephant ivory to be banned in Canada, with a petition launched in 2020 garnering more than 700,000 signatures.

The stricter approach to the transport of ivory goods derived from elephants or rhinos will come into effect on Jan. 8, 2024.

Anyone who is starting the process of importing or exporting goods after Nov. 22, 2023 will be required to apply for the necessary permits.

If a person can prove that they began the importing or exporting process prior to Nov. 22, the new requirements will not apply, "even if they arrive to the border after the coming into force date," according to the government's website.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Justin is living up to his reputation!

Being a GRAND ARSEHOLE!

What does he know about these animals??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67040 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many more assholes like him and it takes one to get the ball rolling.

Justin has just collared a fair number of voters with this move.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bloody Liberals. Our National anthem contains the phrase, ' True North Strong and Free.'

It sure isn't true any more. Sonsabitches!

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

The demographic of international hunters is far too small. Our voices amount to a single grain of sand on a beach. In America, there are (Craig Boddington's number) ~15,000 international hunters. Even if all 15K were in one major city, we still don't enumerate enough votes for them to care.

We never will convince a local or national politician to go against their constituency, to vote for our interests. Our time is about passed.

I even believe there will come a time that simply being in possession of some of my trophies will be a crime.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3406 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Totally agree! We’re a vanishing breed.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The triumph of some people’s emotions over science and logic.

I’m sorry for our Canadian friends who have to put up with this nonsense.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

The demographic of international hunters is far too small. Our voices amount to a single grain of sand on a beach. In America, there are (Craig Boddington's number) ~15,000 international hunters. Even if all 15K were in one major city, we still don't enumerate enough votes for them to care.

We never will convince a local or national politician to go against their constituency, to vote for our interests. Our time is about passed.

I even believe there will come a time that simply being in possession of some of my trophies will be a crime.

I would guess you may well be in possession violations if your trophy room was in California.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until this new legislation came into effect, I was so extremely proud of Canada and its importation freedoms. This truly is a sad day for not only Canadians, but for the animals that depend on hunting dollars for protection!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sad day for the protection of the animals. a shame guilbeaut is one of the worst we can have. as good a trudeau which tells a lot.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
sad day for the protection of the animals. a shame guilbeaut is one of the worst we can have. as good a trudeau which tells a lot.

You got that right Phil, probably two of the most arrogant pricks in Canadian politics. Another example of the Liberals just jamming something down our throats, and it is all about optics for them. Sadly, as mentioned in previous posts, international hunters are so few that they do not care what they do and how it affects us.

The figures they used in the news write up of 14 tusks and 2 horns in a year, amounts to 7 elephants and one rhino. On the one hand it shows that there is no way that hunter imported trophies are being used to smuggle them into Canada, but it also shows how few people their grandstanding will affect and why they are doing it. Won't be a lot of push back either as most hunters in the country don't agree with killing elephants and rhinos. They have about as much actual knowledge on the subject as the average non-hunter that buys into the propoganda spread by the anti's.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Liberals one step closer to Gun Confiscation!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Liberals one step closer to Gun Confiscation!!!

In the US we seem to be winning gun confiscation stuff lately. But we will get trophy non-importation soon. You could see this coming years ago, which is why I wanted to hunt elephant and lion 15 years ago.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really was born just a bit too late.

To be honest, with our dollar exchange it would be tougher for me to afford a trophy bull but it was always my goal or Pipedream, and I was alittle gutted yesterday reading this. I wrote twice to gov when they asked for input on the matter.

Does it make you crazy thinking you're the last sane person on earth.

Posts: 134 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_farmer:

To be honest, with our dollar exchange it would be tougher for me to afford a trophy bull but it was always my goal or Pipedream, and I was alittle gutted yesterday reading this. I wrote twice to gov when they asked for input on the matter.

Precisely the same for me. Here I was thinking it may actually happen for me in the next few years and this bill just killed any chance of it for me.

Now I will probably hear from some that say just go and get replicas of the tusks. That is just not going to happen for me. I am not going to spend that kind of money and not be able to export the tusks home, nor am I interested in just doing a tuskless hunt, etc. I will take the money I would have used for that and go for polar bear or bongo, etc.

Anyways, a sad day for us and, once again, what the hell is the point of belonging to CITES if you are not going to follow the decisions they make on quotas and exporting of trophies.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

Precisely the same for me. Here I was thinking it may actually happen for me in the next few years and this bill just killed any chance of it for me.

Now I will probably hear from some that say just go and get replicas of the tusks. That is just not going to happen for me. I am not going to spend that kind of money and not be able to export the tusks home, nor am I interested in just doing a tuskless hunt, etc. I will take the money I would have used for that and go for polar bear or bongo, etc.

Anyways, a sad day for us and, once again, what the hell is the point of belonging to CITES if you are not going to follow the decisions they make on quotas and exporting of trophies.

Thanks for having the moral courage to not only have these views, but to freely express them.

I would never even consider hunting an animal, simply to go and kill it. TO ME, bringing home the trophy and having it for ever are just as important or even perhaps more than the experience alone.

I haven't hunted Polar Bear, but hate the cold. So if it were me, I'd vote for Bongo. I did it in 2012 in CAR. I had Mike Fell as a PH. Was suppose to hunt with Christophe Morio but it got changed last minute. I spent a bunch of time with him in camp. Would LOVE to do another hunt but with him. If you haven't done LDE yet, highly recommend. Probably the truest pure tracking hunt in the world.

But as to the import change, the world is changing. Just take a stroll down to the Political forum on here. Even on a gun/hunting site, it is alarming to read the political thoughts of some "sportsman"

We as international hunters are becoming antiques of a bygone day.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3406 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

I don't even think a change in political landscape will help. They would get eaten by the left to bring it back up. Would need to be a majority to even attempt it. But this community is so small now.

Posts: 134 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
This is devastating for African elephants and rhinos!!

These morons don't understand that without Hunting, there is no 24/7/365 ANTI POACHING patrols that stop ivory and rhino horn killing, but more importantly, bush meat collection, and killing to feed military, miners and loggers, even road builders working all over Africa, and have to EAT!!

Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention the employment of tribal people in hunting camps, and the meat that is distributed to tribes by hunting camps, and hunters protecting tribal people, livestock, and crops. Fees going back to tribal community!! Then the tribal people DON'T kill to feed themselves, there is an economic value on animals!!

Kenya is a brilliant example!! Hunting CLOSED in 1974... NO WILD GAME TODAY!!

Wake Up Politicians and Environmentalists!!! This ain't rocket science... go take a look!! YOU ARE WORSE THAN POACHERS!!

Do you think if 15,000 international hunters politely wrote their own version of the message above in a letter to these politicians and hang the future of Elephant and Rhinos on them they might change their tune....maybe do some fast back peddling??

Hunters don't do enough to present themselves in the limelight of wildlife conservation, let alone the medical clinics, schools, and other contributions that are made by hunters and hunting companies!! We need to toot our own horn or perish!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://cites.org/sites/defaul...E-Notif-2023-139.pdf

CITES-Notification to the parties.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the ivory bead on the front sight of my Holland and Holland requires a permit to bring the rifle in for my Moose hunt??!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Or how many vintage pianos are being confiscated next.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
This is devastating for African elephants and rhinos!!

These morons don't understand that without Hunting, there is no 24/7/365 ANTI POACHING patrols that stop ivory and rhino horn killing, but more importantly, bush meat collection, and killing to feed military, miners and loggers, even road builders working all over Africa, and have to EAT!!

Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention the employment of tribal people in hunting camps, and the meat that is distributed to tribes by hunting camps, and hunters protecting tribal people, livestock, and crops. Fees going back to tribal community!! Then the tribal people DON'T kill to feed themselves, there is an economic value on animals!!

Kenya is a brilliant example!! Hunting CLOSED in 1974... NO WILD GAME TODAY!!

Wake Up Politicians and Environmentalists!!! This ain't rocket science... go take a look!! YOU ARE WORSE THAN POACHERS!!

Do you think if 15,000 international hunters politely wrote their own version of the message above in a letter to these politicians and hang the future of Elephant and Rhinos on them they might change their tune....maybe do some fast back peddling??

Hunters don't do enough to present themselves in the limelight of wildlife conservation, let alone the medical clinics, schools, and other contributions that are made by hunters and hunting companies!! We need to toot our own horn or perish!!

Very well stated!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another misguided attempt to help, that will wind up hurting.

People who believe that government solves problems, are either lying to themselves or simply being willfully blind.

Disgusting.

Posts: 436 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote