THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Retarded Australian Politician bans Rhino Imports to AU

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retarded Australian Politician bans Rhino Imports to AU
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks. This directive recently came through and follows questions from the minister (Greg Hunt) about imports of 'canned' hunting trophies. There is already suggestion to this will lead to other species bans. If you could all take a minute to send a short sensible email to the two addresses provided - stating the importance of managed hunting programs and sustainable use to preserving wildlife populations and habitat... we would be most grateful. Detailed examples would help enormously...

Direct from the Environment Australia web site

Trade in Rhinoceros Specimens
All species of rhinoceros are listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). An Appendix I listing applies to all five species with the exception of populations of the southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum) from South Africa and Swaziland which are listed on Appendix II. While trade in hunting trophies and live animals is allowed in certain circumstances for populations listed on Appendix II of CITES, Australia has introduced measures to restrict trade in rhino specimens, including rhino horn hunting trophies.

These measures include:

permits will no longer be issued to import hunting trophies of Appendix II listed southern white rhino
rhino hunting trophies are no longer allowed to be imported as personal and household effects
radiocarbon dating is required to conclusively prove the age of vintage rhino horn for export.
For more information contact:
The Director
Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601

Telephone: (02) 6274 1900

Facsimile: (02) 6274 1921

Email: Department - wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au
Environment Minister Greg Hunt - greg.hunt.mp@environment.gov.au

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As people in Africa keep saying.

Idiots in the west and other parts of the world are actively supporting the elimination of animals in Africa.

I thought the whole idea of CITES was to help those rare species to increase their number.

Isn't the idea for the producing country to be responsible in issuing a CITES certificate?

Why are countries like the US and Australia trying to second guess them?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Folks. This directive recently came through and follows questions from the minister (Greg Hunt) about imports of 'canned' hunting trophies. There is already suggestion to this will lead to other species bans. If you could all take a minute to send a short sensible email to the two addresses provided - stating the importance of managed hunting programs and sustainable use to preserving wildlife populations and habitat... we would be most grateful. Detailed examples would help enormously...

Direct from the Environment Australia web site

Trade in Rhinoceros Specimens
All species of rhinoceros are listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). An Appendix I listing applies to all five species with the exception of populations of the southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum) from South Africa and Swaziland which are listed on Appendix II. While trade in hunting trophies and live animals is allowed in certain circumstances for populations listed on Appendix II of CITES, Australia has introduced measures to restrict trade in rhino specimens, including rhino horn hunting trophies.

These measures include:

permits will no longer be issued to import hunting trophies of Appendix II listed southern white rhino
rhino hunting trophies are no longer allowed to be imported as personal and household effects
radiocarbon dating is required to conclusively prove the age of vintage rhino horn for export.
For more information contact:
The Director
Wildlife Trade Regulation Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601

Telephone: (02) 6274 1900

Facsimile: (02) 6274 1921

Email: Department - wildlifetrade@environment.gov.au
Environment Minister Greg Hunt - greg.hunt.mp@environment.gov.au

Let's see!! A bit ago you were bashing the shit out of Americans over the USF&W decision concerning Elephants even though I pointed out that you already can't import Leopard or Elephant.

That said, since hunters should actually be sticking together, I will write in support as requested.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
As people in Africa keep saying.

Idiots in the west and other parts of the world are actively supporting the elimination of animals in Africa.

I thought the whole idea of CITES was to help those rare species to increase their number.

Isn't the idea for the producing country to be responsible in issuing a CITES certificate?

POLITICS

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:

Let's see!! A bit ago you were bashing the shit out of Americans over the USF&W decision concerning Elephants even though I pointed out that you already can't import Leopard or Elephant.

That said, since hunters should actually be sticking together, I will write in support as requested.

Cheers
Jim
Me "bashing the shit out of Americans" - is entirely in your imagination. Why would I do that?

Having an opinion? critical of your Fed govt? Well yes!!

Thanks for helping-out though. Much appreciated.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hard on those people.
Mad

Retarded people don't deserve to be placed in the same category as politicians.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not great news for conservation,

And it’s funny as we just sent a delegation of experts to Australia to try get there vote on the Trade of Rhino Horn in the 2016 Cities Conference

When I read the first part of the post

"Retarded Australian"

I thought of my good friend. diggin

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the point of Cites if some of the members ignore their decisions!?

Cites should take legal action against these countries!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yeah, like that's gonna help
We gotta vote smart people in

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
This is not great news for conservation,

And it’s funny as we just sent a delegation of experts to Australia to try get there vote on the Trade of Rhino Horn in the 2016 Cities Conference

When I read the first part of the post

"Retarded Australian"

I thought of my good friend. diggin
It would be really good to have some emails from people like yourself who are on the ground with the animals!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you read the letter carefully you will see that it is about the govt here believing the lies and concoctions of the anti's...

Even the 'canned' lion thing... "...in which captive bred lions are confined to increase the chance of a successful hunt."

Well that is just a fabrication...

Also - Correct me if I am wrong - 'canned' hunting was a term coined by fellow hunters?... now with mainstream usage by anti's, media and governments too.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word Canned Hunting was started by South Africans and has stuck like a knife in the back,

Whenever the subject of High Fence Lion hunting or captive bread lion hunting comes up, every one straight away refers to it as canned Lion hunting.

And then any chance of trying to justify it is out the window……

Well to all the haters out there guess what im off to shoot a canned lion this weekend......

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, that silly SOB could get elected here too!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
The word Canned Hunting was started by South Africans and has stuck like a knife in the back,

You mean S'AF hunters?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email sent, Matt.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...people in Africa....

My best guess is that it looks as though the Africans are not doing a very good job of it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:
...people in Africa....

My best guess is that it looks as though the Africans are not doing a very good job of it.

Then it is up to CITES to refuse them issuing certificates, not other countries willi nilli.

CITES do that all the time - refuse to accept certificates issued by some countries.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Minister should justify how, exactly, his recent stance on this will do anything at all to save the Rhino. Banning the importation of trophies harvested under sustainable wildlife management regulations that satisfy CITES criteria is counterproductive.
We all know that once these positions have been taken by any side in politics they are virtually impossible to reverse - unlike tax initiatives !
Ultimately I guess we are at fault for allowing Ministers like Mr Hunt to remain ignorant of the facts.
We would probably have more luck importing live Rhino's and hunting them locally. I reckon I could fit a couple on my place if anyone wants to drop them off.
All this from a government who don't mind what happens to the sustainably managed livestock we send off shore to meet their lot under conditions no wildlife keeper would allow.
Mr Hunt - you're a disgrace.

Posts: 463 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a Fed. Oz. gov that does not even allow one to import a simple elephant hide wallet,
I am then rather surprised that the same gov. were actually still allowing the import of Rhino horn.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and Mr Hunt would be a real match of wits Trax!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I don't give much creedence to politicians or people that hunt domestic cows gone wild for a living.

There are a good number of people in society with much more fulfilled & accomplished careers that either of those.

AS much as I don't like over-regulation by gov.,.. it would be good if PHs in Australia were properly trained tested and regulated like those in 3rd world Africa.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really are a moron. Did some Aussie guide/outfitter do something nasty to you??

Why would you be worried about govt regulation and training in AU - if they are only hunting domestic stock? What is it that concerns you most?

I sure hope you get stuck into guides in all those US states and other countries - for their shocking lack of regulation and appalling lack of compulsory training.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at gun control, it is a contest as to who is the most out to lunch on wildlife and guns the Aussies or the Brits. Hell, in a land where you have to register paintball guns would you expect any less. These people are also becoming Americanized where their governments mind everyone else's business..It is disgusting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't even compare Australia and Britain on gun laws. Despite what you hear, as an individual, I can own as many sporting longarms (excluding semi autos and pump action shotgun) as I like, in any caliber, plus truckloads of ammunition. Firearm ownership and hunter numbers are on the very steady rise in Australia, 15%pa in some less regulated provinces.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who took the time to contact the depth and Minster Hunt.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
It might be an idea to refer Mr. Hunt [it is an H is it not, my poor eyesight I could have sworn that it was a C Roll Eyes ] to the writings of one, Mr Ron Thomson.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes for sure!!

Honestly I don't think Greg hunt is the problem here, it would seem that he is being pressured by another (junior) MP from his side, a known Greenpeace member - and an 'indifferent' (ignorant perhaps?) legislature. That is why I think there is a chance he can be educated.

Also I would like to apologise for my insensitive topic heading - I certainly did not mean to cause offence.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Actually Ron Thomson in his article in the July/August edition of the "African Outfitter," describes the idiocy of certain politicians and animal rightists quite succinctly. I would go so far as to say that he was not looking for the "flavour of the month, or year" title.

BTW, Mr. Graham, please do not apologise for your accurate topic heading, maybe if politicians realised and took notice of what their flock thought of them, maybe they might just stop and try to think first.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
What's the point of Cites if some of the members ignore their decisions!?

Cites should take legal action against these countries!

And that is really the crux of the whole issue. But lets face it, some countries out there always think they know what is best for everyone else, regardless of what the international groups/think tanks they belong to agree on. If they don't like the decision they just go ahead and do what they want anyways and essentially nullify the legitimacy of the group.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Couldn't say it better skyline and unfortunately that means also us the mighty US of A
We are the worst when it comes to butting into everyone business like we are gonna save the world, while we look like a fools.
We only get away with it somehow, because we throw lots of money around
Matt, excellent article and some very good arguments.
One day I will have to do some Aussie hunting
I'm about due

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Matt.

I've sent an email to the goose........but you know what will happen........

Hunt has always appeared to me as a hand wringing would be do gooder. What a DS!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you guys just must realize- there are some seriously stupid people in the world. unfortunately a lot of them are politicians, with the power to make your life miserable....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
you guys just must realize- there are some seriously stupid people in the world. unfortunately a lot of them are politicians, with the power to make your life miserable....

AMEN to that brother. Add a few union twats, and we are on the road to hell.