New
Find
Notify
Tools

NAPHA Press Release
 Login/Join

posted
Whoaaaa!
This press release has been ripped out of all proportion! I have just returned from hunting trip to Namibia - my 8th in 6 years, and can vouch for the fact that Namibia is a superb trophy hunting destination with some of the best and most ehtical PHs in the world. The problem is the ever increasing number of South African and Zimbabwean PHs who are operating illegally there. That is putting the industry, as well as the association under serve pressure.
NAPHA is a well organised association with an excellent record for being one of the best mananged of its kind in the world. Their relationship with the Namibia Ministry of Environment and Tourism is based on mutual respect and cooperation. Membership is open to all hunting professionals as well as anyone else interested in trophy hunting, and costs the equivalent of about US$ 300.00 per year - certainly not a prohibitive cost for anyone involved in the Namibian trophy hunting sector. Approximately 90% of all Namibian hunting professionals are members. NAPHA membership offers many benefits, including rebates on flights for marketing purposes, excellent training opportunities for staff, an office base in the city for members, a Disciplinary Committe and Ombudsman to whom members as well as their clients can turn in case of dispute, regular infomative communications with updates on developments in the industry etc., etc. - One should ask why some operators choose not join - from my experience it is because they would rather operate under the 'radar'...
Although NAPHA does have a small staff, the bulk of the work is done by volunteers voted onto the Executive and other committees. The majority of them are not English speaking - so the 'tone' of the PR was not quite what it should have been.
Truth of the matter is, though, that as long as there is a demand from international trophy hunters to book with these illegal operators - the law breakers will coninue to do just that. Can you begin to imagine the challenges of 'policing' activities that happen in remote areas of such a vast and sparcely populated country? It is therefore essential to get the international trophy hunting clients on board to cooperate in ending this abuse of Namibian trophy hunting, as well as to warn those international trophy hunters who have no problem contravening the law and know full well that they are booking with a foreign operator, of the possible consequenses of their actions.
So, I urge you all to see this press release for exactly what it is - a heads-up to internatinal hunters to make sure that their PH/operator is a Namibian who is qualified and registered to operate in that magnificent country, as well as preferably a NAPHA member.
NAPHA - thank you for the excllent work that you do to protect the right to hunt in Namibia as well as to promote Namibia as a trophy hunting destination.
Namibia Fan

Posts: 6 | Location: USA & Africa | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think most of the AR members read it with fair accuracy and many of those who read it have multiple hunts in Namibia. We read it for exactly what it is. NAPHA will alert US authorities when an American is involved in any activity considered illegal under Namibian law, whether the PH is a NAPHA member or not. Or did I read that wrong? Or they'll only do it when the PH is not a member of NAPHA? The burden of knowing what it legal or illegal is on the foreign hunter. For NAPHA to go after a PH who doesn't respect the law is fine and I encourage them to do so. Being prosecuted in the USA for not knowing the hunting laws of Namibia seems to be the issue here, not how they do or do not police their activities in Namibia.

I also hunted in Namibia this last July and had a great trip.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think most of the AR members read it with fair accuracy and many of those who read it have multiple hunts in Namibia. We read it for exactly what it is. NAPHA will alert US authorities when an American is involved in any activity considered illegal under Namibian law, whether the PH is a NAPHA member or not. Or did I read that wrong? Or they'll only do it when the PH is not a member of NAPHA? The burden of knowing what it legal or illegal is on the foreign hunter. For NAPHA to go after a PH who doesn't respect the law is fine and I encourage them to do so. Being prosecuted in the USA for not knowing the hunting laws of Namibia seems to be the issue here, not how they do or do not police their activities in Namibia.

I also hunted in Namibia this last July and had a great trip.

Wink, your statement pretty much sums it up for me how our US clients feel after the statement. (And by the way, I am glad that you had a great time with us.)
However, I still think most are interpreting it wrong, and here is my interpretation:
NAPHA wants the help of clients (US ones as well), as it is very difficult to catch anyone doing anything illigal.
I base it on our law that states it is the PH's responsibility to make sure that the visiting hunter does not break the law. However, sometimes the visiting hunter knows the law good enough to know that he is encouraged by his PH to break the law. In such cases, NAPHA would like the help/ testimony of such a visiting hunter/ client to bring this case to the fore. The use of the Lacey act was meant as a "encouragement" to the US hunters especially, to rather report if they see anything wrong, and in my opinion, would have been better left out of the statement.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, interpert it anyway you wish: any Lacey act violation will punish American hunters; not, Namibian PH's

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The press release did not "ask" for our help in any way. It also did not explain how the association was going to police its own. It was a very thinly veiled threat and nothing more at best. I think it was much more and worse. I am bringing this up at the SCI chapters I belong to. I am also forwarding these threads to the hunting report. At this point I am boycotting Namibia. Someone has a lot of explainig to do but I doubt that will happen. We have already seen the response John Hunt got. It was arrogant and sidestepped the questions he aked. It also attempted to cast asperions on us because we thought the press release was biased and totally out of line. I guess if you have no defence your try to blame the other guy to take attention off yourself. I am still waiting for an answer. I love Namibia and would go back in a heartbeat but not under this threat. Just so there is no confusion I only hunt with NAPHA members when in Namibia. So they just cost themselves 20k from me that would have been in the coffers this year.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Just so there is no confusion I only hunt with NAPHA members when in Namibia. So they just cost themselves 20k from me that would have been in the coffers this year.

While I agree that the press release was a giant mistake, I don't understand this attitude. I hunted Namibia this year. If I didn't trust that my outfitter wouldn't allow me to hunt illegally and then turn me in, I'd never trust him enough to send a deposit. Furthermore, after having already hunted with a PH and outfitter (Johann at Shona in my case), why shouldn't that experience be worth far more than a press release from NAPHA in determining the ethics, honesty and trustworthiness of an organization? For me, it is.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
No matter what the intentions where NAPHA is loosing the public relations war. I think it is time for them to apologise and retract their statement.

Their is an old saying good customer service and you tell one person about it. If you get bad custoemr service you tell 8 people about it.

Money talks!

Singleshot

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trust the phs I use 100%. It is the political types from NAPHA I dont trust. I dont like being theatened to begin with. If I somehow got caught up in this because someone had an axe to grind is totally different. The Lacey act is so far reaching and often open to interpretation it is scary. A felony conviction would end my career here in the US. It dosnt matter what it was for. It is far more for me than just the conviction and the penalties it carries although that would be bad enough. I dont see equal enforcement of different nationalities. Other countries dont have a Lacey act. I dont see where NAPHA is going after the ph only the client. They singled out Americans, they threatened us, and they are not fairly applying the law to all. The case quoted involved a Namibian ph, a South African ph and dog handler, and a Canadian client. Why threaten the Americans? I dont see any involved in this case. If someone wants my help it might be a good idea not to threaten me first. By boycotting them until this is resolved I have done two things: 1) protected myself and 2) made myself heard by voting with my dollars.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
I trust the phs I use 100%.

Then what is the problem? Wouldn't they prevent you from committing any violations? Thereby preventing you from running afoul of the Lacey act?

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When politicians get involved being right isnt always enough. All it takes is someone with an agenda to make things dicey. It isnt much of a consolation knowing you were right when your world explodes around you. We have a saying that says "When you are up to your ass in alligators it is hard to remember why you came into the swamp." I think there is certainly more than one agenda here and a whole lot of gators.

Happiness is a warm gun

posted Hide Post
This is very much a question of SUPPLY and DEMAND.
As long as there are international hunting clients who are willing to book with foreign operators/PHs/hounds men, they will continue to hunt illegally in Namibia. These operators have no long-term interest in Namibia, and no respect for the rules and regulations. As mentioned, I interpret this Press Release as a 'heads up' to international trophy hunting clients to chose their PHs carefully, and to make sure that they are in fact qualified and registered to operate in Namibia. The tone does, unfortunately, lead us to interpret it as a ‘threat’, but I am absolutely sure that it was not the intention of the NAPHA Disciplinary Committee members.
The solution is quite simple – make sure that your Namibian host is in fact a NAPHA member, as the credentials of all PHs who apply for membership are checked by NAPHA before they are accepted as members – simple as that.

Still a huge Namibia Fan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mike Smith 100% I can read the NAPHA statement as well. I was planning to hunt Namibia in 2011, but now, no way. Another 15 grand gone because of this.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Namibia Fan

Trouble is, a lot of guys aren't knowledgeable enough to know that booking with an RSA PH for a Namibia hunt is a bad idea.

The response from NAPHA to John Hunt was basically "go to SCI seminars and get educated". Well, shame on the poor hunter who just gets the idea to hunt Africa and books with what he thinks os a reputable hunter!

That is why I commented in another thread that the press release was very "germanic", someone else put it better- it was very teutonic.

Germans and Austrians sort of go through a lot to hunt, and get all wrapped up in the licenses for various hunting areas, going to schools and getting certifications to hunt etc.

Fact is- we Americans do not. We go to WalMart and get out licenses, and remember the rules from our childhood or maybe pick up a Fish and Game guide. Shame on us- but it is a fact.

And we sorta expect that if we pay a pile of money to a professional hunter, he will play it straight.

Note well, no one os advocating for the foreign hunter who intentionally violates the law. He made his bed and must lie in it.

We are all concerned about the general "ratting out" to the GOVERNMENT which is anti-hunter to begin with, and the consequences of a report from Namibia going to (ultimately) the US Attorneys office for filing of FEDERAL charges, all without due process on the original alleged violation.

Is anyone prepared to appear in Federal Court to answer charges, pay a lawyer $10,000++++ and try to defend oneself against claimed bad acts a half a world away? Where are the witnesses? Where is the due process?

Just not willing to risk even defending myself against unintentional or in fact non existent hunting violations in Federal Court if, when and whether someone at NAPHA or MET gets a burr up their a**.

Are you?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Namibia fan:
This is very much a question of SUPPLY and DEMAND.
As long as there are international hunting clients who are willing to book with foreign operators/PHs/hounds men, they will continue to hunt illegally in Namibia. These operators have no long-term interest in Namibia, and no respect for the rules and regulations. As mentioned, I interpret this Press Release as a 'heads up' to international trophy hunting clients to chose their PHs carefully, and to make sure that they are in fact qualified and registered to operate in Namibia. The tone does, unfortunately, lead us to interpret it as a ‘threat’, but I am absolutely sure that it was not the intention of the NAPHA Disciplinary Committee members.
The solution is quite simple – make sure that your Namibian host is in fact a NAPHA member, as the credentials of all PHs who apply for membership are checked by NAPHA before they are accepted as members – simple as that.

Still a huge Namibia Fan

Is it just me or does Namibia Fan have a particularily detailed insight into NAPHA?

In any event I believe the 2nd case provided by NAPHA involved a Namibian PH and client hunting leopards by flashlight.

The press release also mentions "recourse" being available if your PH is a NAPHA member. What exactly is this recourse? What power, other then kicking out a member, does NAPHA actually have? What will they offer the flashlight hunter above to replace his $30,000 hunt when he reports his PH?

As I suggested to NAPHA, they need an American PR firm yesterday. There are ways to encourage sustainable and legal hunting in your country, and there are ways to shoot yourself in the foot. Right now they need to fix there message and find a respectable partner to "vet" it (maybe SCI or Conservation Force, etc.) Time is short because the conventions are 13 weeks away and they need to be communicating there fix way before that.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Is it just me or does Namibia Fan have a particularily detailed insight into NAPHA?"

The word; Shill comes to mind.

I have dropped all my plans to do a first ever African hunt in Namibia. There is no
way I would consider hunting there after this. Another $12,000USD they will not see.
Shakari, Karl S, freischuetz, Namibian fan can try to spin this any way they like, but
it is a threat, no more no less, and it should be treated like that. If you want
play this game, go ahead, but without my money. Namibia is now just mot worth the
risk.

Good hunting
Raff

Posts: 457 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mike Smith on this. His feeling also reflect the same sentiment of some of my American hunters who have booked Namibia next year. Some of the PH's who are also NAPHA members are distressed by the press release and the apparent direction that the NAPHA leadership appears to be moving. Using the American Lacey Act as a "threat" is pretty bad PR in view of the fact that American hunters have dropped off significantly this past year do the the poor economy.

We need more ground level input from AR members, especially Namibian PH members. I fully realize that diplomacy is required, especially when one is discussing his own professional association. However, we in the American hunting community need to hear more on this.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont see equal enforcement of different nationalities. Other countries dont have a Lacey act. I dont see where NAPHA is going after the ph only the client. They singled out Americans, they threatened us, and they are not fairly applying the law to all. The case quoted involved a Namibian ph, a South African ph and dog handler, and a Canadian client. Why threaten the Americans?

That's how I see it.

Posts: 41776 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Hope NAPHA can sort this out - as they have caused a whole lot of drama for themselves. I can see them having to do crisis management at the shows next year !!

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thing is they dont even have to retract their statement. They do have some serious explaining to do. An apology would be nice but I am not holding my breath on that one. If what they would like us to believe is true, we need straight up facts. What instances of poaching/illegal hunting lead up to this genius press release? What phs were involved and what were the circumstances of the hunt and the violation? Were the phs Namibian and if so were they members of NAPHA? Who were the clients? Is all you are trying to do is get rid of phs from other countries hunting in Namibia on a cover agreement? If this is the problem just dont issue the liscenes. You state that we can not trust our phs to keep us on the correct side of the law. If we cant trust NAPHA members to do this, it kind of defeats purpose for having NAPHA. There are a lot of good phs out there who are not NAPHA members. Do we dare hunt with such rogues? We are not talking about the "dread south african ph" who comes to hunt here. If you explain yourself as to what you really mean and the reasons behind it you will be able to convince a lot of us to change our mind. But, if you keep up this arrogant approach and try to cast aspersions on us because we are not in goosestep with you, you will become the enemy of the average American hunter. You are well on your way to alienating enough high power people that this might get interesting.You all can have a reasonable discourse with us and try to reach some common ground or else you will watch it burn down around you.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Agreed !!
Not very good for NAPHA or any other hunting organisation if they dont respond to accusations levelled at them in the right manner.

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as there are international hunting clients who are willing to book with foreign operators

This statement says it all. NAPHA is threatening the sport hunting community because of its fear of competition from Non-NAPHA PH's. Sound like criminal behavior to you?

The sooner NAPAH and NAPAH ring leaders are arrested and prosecuted the better for Namibia.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JUST SAY NO!! TO NAMIBIA NAPHA

I'm thinking about having T-shirts made. Any takers? Special discount price if you wear them to SCI Dallas or Reno in 2010.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Namibia fan:
This press release has been ripped out of all proportion! I have just returned from hunting trip to Namibia - my 8th in 6 years, and can vouch for the fact that Namibia is a superb trophy hunting destination with some of the best and most ehtical PHs in the world.

Ripped all out of proportion? I don't think so.

I used to think it would be a good place to hunt and, in fact had planned on doing so. Now I'll be researching other destinations.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is bad new for Namibia, and the good PH's there. It was really stupid of them to put this out. They started this fire, they need to put it out, or its going to cost them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia Fan,

you wouldn't by some chance be a resident of Namibia and a member of NAPHA would you? Since your addy is just plain old "Africa" it seems an appropriate question to ask.

Rich
Just say NO to Namibia & NAPHA

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are a group of stakeholders: AR members, International Hunters, Professional Hunters(NAPHA & Non-NAPHA members), Predator Control Specialists,Commercial Farmers from Namibia(cattle/game), Taxidermists, Shipping Agents that will not tolerate NAPHA's uncalled-for behavior.

This following statement is based on "pure facts" and not like a empty vessel that makes the most noise.

- The Minister of the Ministry of Environmental and Tourism of Namibia (MET) has not stopped hound hunting nor hunting of leopard/cheetah for 2010. NAPHA, who knows why, has falsely sent this message into the world. Before such decisions can be made it must be agreed to in the Cabinet and then it must be gazetted. Neither have been done up to now. It was further said that MET wanted to wait till the end of the hunting season to recognized the status of the quota issue, only then will a decision be made. We quote:

“When I spoke with Beytell (MET’s director of Parks and Wildlife) in late August, neither of NAPHA’S recommendations had been implemented, but the prohibition of hunting with hounds was under serious consideration. Beytell said it was much too early to talk about a moratorium on leopard hunting permits for 2010, as such action may prove unnecessary. He said they were most likely to wait for the end of the hunting season and see how many additional leopards are actually taken” (The Hunting Report, September 2009, Vol 29, No 9)

- NAPHA called on a Special General Meeting on 31st of July(only for NAPHA members) to meet in the middle of our hunting season to cast a vote concerning the issues on leopard/cheetah hunting in Namibia. Less than a 100 members attended this meeting, a vote was casted and NAPHA ran with it to the media. The question everybody is asking: Was that a true indication or implication of all stakeholders involved? Makes one think that this whole issue was carefully planned, but not entirely thought through.

- Monopoly and Jealousy is very active within NAPHA. We are referring to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe's houndsmen entering Namibia legally, with work permits, using Namibian Safari Operators to conduct their safaris. We have not heard any complaints from those countries associations about Namibian Safaris Operators conducting safaris in their countries. Or are we missing something here?
We also quote Graig Boddington's remark on this issue :

“Certainly in Namibia, the primary emphasis for closing leopard hunting with hounds is not a moral, ethical, or even common sense argument. I believe it is pure outfitter jealousy, those who do not have a pack of hounds available, or choose not to use them, trying to shut down those who do.” (http://www.sportsafield.com/FAQ/Boddingtonbloghounds.htm)

- The so called policy to hunt only with NAPHA members is "RIDICULOUS" If 90% of Namibia's Professional Hunters belong to NAPHA then one should hunt with the remaining 10%, because they do not seem to participate in unethical and unlawful practices. We need to recognize that everybody should be dealt with under the ordinance of MET for illegal practices. It is not up to NAPHA to prosecute these individuals, but up to MET. NAPHA can not speculate misconduct in Namibia, spread these roomers across the world without proof. It is law to first charge, prosecute and then find someone guilty. NAPHA's guesswork is sending the wrong message out to the wrong people. They are cutting their nose to spite their face. For that matter, for all of us!

- "THE LACEY ACT" - NAPHA used this as a threat to USA clients, because that is what it was, no matter how you look at it. We do not believe that NAPHA ever considered to follow through with this, but to simply warn Professional Hunters from Namibia, to stop with illegal practices. We have to believe that they addressed the wrong entity and they should post a letter of apology.

All the above statements were "facts" We want to leave all the stakeholders with one conclusion and the only "assumption" throughout this statement.
If NAPHA is suppose to represent most of the Professional Hunters of Namibia, why did they not handle this internally, with proper consideration within Namibia? Why sent a message to the international hunting industry of paranoia?
NAPHA gives us no choice, but to consider that a "animal rights group" has infiltrated within their association.

Please forgive us, but we chose to stay anonymous for the time being, "till our new house is in order"

PINKPANTHERONTRACK

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Now didn't we have an AR member who's hunt was cancelled because the outfitter couldn't get his tag?

Lucy, You've Got Some 'Splaining To Do

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3431078111/p/1

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
FYI Diethelm Metzger wrote me via email today and said they will "post a clarification on the board by Friday!"

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagee that they addressed the wrong entity. We as a major part of the hunting community should be included in the disseminaion of information. They should have first addressed their members and probably MET. It is the message and how it was delivered we object to. I am sorry to say this is going to hurt a lot of people who dont deserve it. I hope you get things in order and quickly. The problem with a wildfire is that once you start the burn you often loose control. As far as the "message of paranoia" goes I would like to share a line from a comedy. It goes "Just because your paranoid dosnt mean they arent out to get you." Yes I am making a joke but there is serious concern.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turned sixty last month, I don't need the headache. There are too many countries where they understand that the reason 90+% of the people arriving in their country bring rifles to hunt, and lots of Yankee Dollars to spend. I can camp and use an outhouse at the ranch if I want to rough it...

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinkpantherontrack:
Allow us to introduce ourselves. We are a group of stakeholders: AR members, International Hunters, Professional Hunters(NAPHA & Non-NAPHA members), Predator Control Specialists,Commercial Farmers from Namibia(cattle/game), Taxidermists, Shipping Agents that will not tolerate NAPHA's uncalled-for behavior.

This following statement is based on "pure facts" and not like a empty vessel that makes the most noise.

- The Minister of the Ministry of Environmental and Tourism of Namibia (MET) has not stopped hound hunting nor hunting of leopard/cheetah for 2010. NAPHA, who knows why, has falsely sent this message into the world. Before such decisions can be made it must be agreed to in the Cabinet and then it must be gazetted. Neither have been done up to now. It was further said that MET wanted to wait till the end of the hunting season to recognized the status of the quota issue, only then will a decision be made. We quote:

“When I spoke with Beytell (MET’s director of Parks and Wildlife) in late August, neither of NAPHA’S recommendations had been implemented, but the prohibition of hunting with hounds was under serious consideration. Beytell said it was much too early to talk about a moratorium on leopard hunting permits for 2010, as such action may prove unnecessary. He said they were most likely to wait for the end of the hunting season and see how many additional leopards are actually taken” (The Hunting Report, September 2009, Vol 29, No 9)

- NAPHA called on a Special General Meeting on 31st of July(only for NAPHA members) to meet in the middle of our hunting season to cast a vote concerning the issues on leopard/cheetah hunting in Namibia. Less than a 100 members attended this meeting, a vote was casted and NAPHA ran with it to the media. The question everybody is asking: Was that a true indication or implication of all stakeholders involved? Makes one think that this whole issue was carefully planned, but not entirely thought through.

- Monopoly and Jealousy is very active within NAPHA. We are referring to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe's houndsmen entering Namibia legally, with work permits, using Namibian Safari Operators to conduct their safaris. We have not heard any complaints from those countries associations about Namibian Safaris Operators conducting safaris in their countries. Or are we missing something here?
We also quote Graig Boddington's remark on this issue :

“Certainly in Namibia, the primary emphasis for closing leopard hunting with hounds is not a moral, ethical, or even common sense argument. I believe it is pure outfitter jealousy, those who do not have a pack of hounds available, or choose not to use them, trying to shut down those who do.” (http://www.sportsafield.com/FAQ/Boddingtonbloghounds.htm)

- The so called policy to hunt only with NAPHA members is "RIDICULOUS" If 90% of Namibia's Professional Hunters belong to NAPHA then one should hunt with the remaining 10%, because they do not seem to participate in unethical and unlawful practices. We need to recognize that everybody should be dealt with under the ordinance of MET for illegal practices. It is not up to NAPHA to prosecute these individuals, but up to MET. NAPHA can not speculate misconduct in Namibia, spread these roomers across the world without proof. It is law to first charge, prosecute and then find someone guilty. NAPHA's guesswork is sending the wrong message out to the wrong people. They are cutting their nose to spite their face. For that matter, for all of us!

- "THE LACEY ACT" - NAPHA used this as a threat to USA clients, because that is what it was, no matter how you look at it. We do not believe that NAPHA ever considered to follow through with this, but to simply warn Professional Hunters from Namibia, to stop with illegal practices. We have to believe that they addressed the wrong entity and they should post a letter of apology.

All the above statements were "facts" We want to leave all the stakeholders with one conclusion and the only "assumption" throughout this statement.
If NAPHA is suppose to represent most of the Professional Hunters of Namibia, why did they not handle this internally, with proper consideration within Namibia? Why sent a message to the international hunting industry of paranoia?
NAPHA gives us no choice, but to consider that a "animal rights group" has infiltrated within their association.

Please forgive us, but we chose to stay anonymous for the time being, "till our new house is in order"

PINKPANTHERONTRACK

If what this consortium says is true it raises ethical issues about NAPHA. It would appear it has broken a few laws in Namibia in dealing with its members and the government.It has exceeded its authority as a lobby organizaton for those in the industry. It has disseminated false information that goes against laws put in place by MET. It has twisted the truth to acheive an agenda held by the higher management. It has out and out lied to the hunting communities around the world. Sounds like organized crime to me.

As for Friday I await with baited breath. UhOH that might be a violation. I cant wait to see how they try and spin this after the first couple times were such a cock up. I wonder if they have aqquired an American PR firm yet? Even if they do something to fix this I wont be hunting there this season. Someone would have to do some serious shmoosing to get me to even consider it if this is resolved. I have already pulled my money and am going elswhere.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's right Mike! NAPHA is organized crime and international terror rolled into one.

The NAPHA board must be replaced in its entirety by a true vote of the NAPHA membership. Period. There is NO other way to remove the NAPHA cancer.

Hopefully NAPHA will be prosecuted by Namibian authorities and the world will be watching.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
For those that have not read the new press release, as it has appeared elsewhere:

NAPHA Press Release
October 9th, 2009

We at NAPHA, the Namibian Professional Hunting Association, are proud of our country, our clients and our members who are committed to ethical hunting. Namibia is one of the few countries in the world where government and the hunting industry work closely together. In Namibia sport hunting is widely accepted and approved and our visiting hunters are treated well. In hindsight we realize that, unfortunately our press release of September 23 created several impressions that worked against us. We would like to correct those impressions and set the record straight.

First, some background on the issue of hunting big cats: On April 24 and June 15 this year, the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET, which has jurisdiction over our hunting industry) issued moratoriums, first on cheetah and then on leopard, for the issuing of trophy hunting permits. The export quotas for these two species had been met for the year. MET’s decision was supported by NAPHA, although several Trophy Hunting Operators had to inform clients of this on short notice.

Meanwhile, word of unscrupulous and possibly illegal leopard hunting began to reach us. NAPHA’s Executive Committee called a Special General Meeting, on July 31, of the membership to discuss the leopard and cheetah situation. An overwhelming majority voted to request MET to temporarily suspend hound hunting, and to draft better guidelines for fair-chase pursuit of these animals.
Second, our public perceived threats: We should not have invoked the US Fish Wildlife Service, the America’s Lacey Act or any other international authorities or laws. It was not our intention to threaten or single out any specific nationality of hunting client. A trophy that was taken unlawfully in Namibia, could in turn, trigger local laws in whatever country the illegal trophy is shipped to.

Third, visiting hunters are not responsible for knowing Namibia’s trophy hunting laws and regulations in detail. We agree that they must be able to put themselves in the hands of our qualified and registered Namibian Hunting Professionals and have the confidence that these laws will be kept.

Fourth, NAPHA itself: We are a not-for-profit, member-run trade association, not an arm of government, and we have no legal authority. Since 1974 we have sought to protect the right to hunt by establishing guidelines for fair chase and by advising government on game and land-use laws to sustain our wild species. Membership is voluntary and today the majority of Namibia’s Hunting Professionals belong to the association. In order to join NAPHA, Hunting Professionals are required to provide proof that they fulfill all the required criteria to operate in Namibia - this is one of the many benefits of booking with a NAPHA member. We are the only group that represents the private sector of the trophy hunting industry in Namibia.

Hunting Professional certification in Namibia is awarded by MET, not by NAPHA. There are legitimate Hunting Professionals in Namibia, who are not members of NAPHA. Disagreements can occur in any group of people, and some individuals are not “joiners.” It is not our intention to force people into our association. It is our intention, however, to get everyone in our country to play according to the rules in order to safeguard hunting for the future.

Illegal hunting became a fact of life from the moment the first game laws were enacted, centuries ago. Since then it’s been an ongoing battle, with standards continually evolving. Today Namibia has some of the most sane and sensible game laws on earth—and, as a direct result, some of the best trophy hunting. However, as long as there are hunting clients who want certain trophies at any cost and by any means, there will be Hunting Professionals willing to deliver, even here in Namibia.

The present furor has come about because we take these matters seriously and because we want to inform people about the possible pitfalls of hunting in Namibia with illegal, non-qualified and unregistered outfitters conducting unlawful and unethical hunting.

However, our original statement was too harsh; we apologize. With hunting under pressure in so many places, we cannot afford to create divisions within our own ranks—especially concerning matters that most hunters agree on. Response from around the world showed us this, and is helping to guide our actions. We appreciate the feedback.

Our goals here are self-regulation within Namibia and open communication with the international community—for the sake of our superb trophy hunting.

NAPHA Executive Committee

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes - I do indeed have a fair insight into NAPHA and the working of the trophy hunting industry in Namibia as I have hunted there 8 x over the past 6 years. I always visit the NAPHA office in Windhoek to purchase medals for the trophies that I have taken, as well as read their many excellent publications such as Huntinamibia. I have hunted with a variety of operations so also have an insight into the different types of hunting that are available. Having only hunted SA and Namibia, I am by no means an expert on hunting in Africa, but certainly pride myself in being very well informed on Namibia!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is NAPHA afraid to post the names of the NAPHA members that implemented the NAPHA policy?

Namibia fan - use your insight and post the names of the NAPHA members. What is the problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family raised me with the notion that you should never do anything you would be ashamed to tell your church in open assembly; or be afraid to swear to in open court. Maybe we need to tell NAPHA this. OOPS! I think I just did!

Rich
4-bore DR shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe NAPHA! I do believe action should be taken against NAPHA in the form of legal prosecution of NAPHA officials and a true vote of NAPHA members to remove NAPHA perpetrators or else an international financial sanction be implemented against NAPHA.

NAPHA institued a Schorched Earth Terror Policy against all non-NAPHA PH's. NAPHA's zeal in the wanton commercial slaughter of non-NAPHA PH's included the tactic of destroying the non-NAPHA member "food source"....the foreign sportsman. Mainly Americans. NAPHA pursued its regin of terror against innocent sport hunters without any regard to the complete and utter destruction of lives. NAPHA perpetrators do not want their names publicly listed becuase they fear that the financial destruction they cold-heartedly calculated for non-NAPHA PH's and American clients will now be visited upon them as it will be. NAPHA perpetrators can run, but they can not hide!