Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington's Africa Show
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted
Did you see The "Boddington Africa Show" EARLY this morning. Man, it was on @ 5:30 a.m. our time. Anyway.....I thought it was pretty good! Enjoyed the whole thing. It was the episode with the fellow (sorry, forgot his name) hunting Elephant in Botswana with his double. His PH was Ivan Carter.
The client killed a nice Buff. Then on to Elephant. The point of the question and discussion is......

The hunter put a brainer shot on the Elephant. And OBVIOUSLY did NOT hit the brain, and it DID NOT put that big old boy down. Now then.....his second shot was spot on!! A GREAT SHOT on a moving, turning, spinning elephant that was not wasting any time leaving. Second shot was quick!!...really fast out of the double. Second shot was obviously right through the brain. Everything was perfect.
BUT..........IF he does NOT make that shot, and Ivan does not follow up with a chest/heart shot. Where the heck does that Elephant get to......and how do you follow him up??? Would that turn into a run and gun situation trying to find, and put more rounds into that brute of an Elephant? Just wondering....I'll bet Ivan can explain the whole thing better than I could see it on TV. Damn....the whole thing was fine. But I immediately got the sweats when that first shot did not do the trick....and it looked as if the old boy was going to make for parts unknown - quick.

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What channel carries that show?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
SPMN....I think that is the Sportsman's Channel. #605 on Direct TV where I live.

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what channel what time is it going to show again!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the show, but what you describe sounds quite familiar. My thought is that we have seen a spike in frontal brain shots over the past 5 years or so, and that as PH’s and clients have experiences similar to the above (and potentially lose the elephant), more will return to the side brain and body shots, especially on bulls. Part of the popularity of frontal shots is due to the increased filming being done, as there is certainly nothing more dramatic than a successful frontal brain shot. Nor anything more satisfying for a client to walk-up to a bull with the big bore...but there is risk. If somebody is going to hunt one elephant in their life, I think they will have a better memory of a clean kill versus a missed frontal followed by a flurry of gunfire. I still believe in getting close to elephant as this is, at least to me, the essence of elephant hunting, but I feel less strongly than I did about a “frontal or nothing” shot, in particular on bulls.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks I'll check listing for spmn

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, I am Ivan and Craigs partner on the show in question "Hornadys Africa with Craig Boddington and Ivan Carter on The Sportsman Channel. Ivan is hunting elephants with Chifuti Safaris in Zim at the moment but he still logs on from time to time and will chime in if possible. The second quick shot saved the day, but the problem with the brain is that if it's missed, and it is OFTEN missed, is that bull will ,in the words of the great Lou Halamore "ramp the horizon never to be seen again" if someone does not get in a heart \ lung shot or a spine\ hip shot. Of course a side brain will work too, but it is risky on a now fleeing elephant. My motto is "miss the brain, go for the lungs" Anyhow, thanks for the nice comments on the show.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Bill.....that IS my thoughts exactly!

Now....I still want to hear from Ivan, but - Come early 2012, I will get my 'once in a lifetime' hunt in Botswana for bigger than average elephant - in the area that practically adjoins Calitz area where this big bull was shot.

Yea, I have lots of experience, and CAN shoot - and know WHERE to shoot. BUT......I've never shot an Elephant before, much less that frontal brain shot. Man.....If I belted that thing, and it made for parts unknown before I got the bolt worked (which I could NOT do as quickly as that client got off a second shot), I would be some kind of sick. Especially with my daughter and grandaughter watching over my shoulder!

I always thought I wanted to brain my Elephant. But SOMEHOW....when I saw that show clip.......THE LIGHTS CAME ON!!! Big time. Screw up that shot, and you well may be SCREWED.

I think the client on the show just hit him a little high on the head. But he didn't look hurt to me. Looked like he was a fixin' to head for Angola. Again....Kudo's to the client...If EVER there was a good second shot, that old boy made it!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave......just saw your posts right as I was posting the one that follows yours.
Hey.....CONGRATS on some kind of great filming. That was a heck of a good show! Best quality I've seen all year!!!!!!!!! What a dandy elephant.

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Hi Guys, I am Ivan and Craigs partner on the show in question "Hornadys Africa with Craig Boddington and Ivan Carter on The Sportsman Channel.

Dave:

Are the programs that are being broadcast now new episodes, or are they the same ones that are contained in the "Hornady's Africa" DVD? I need to know if I have to put pressure on my cable provider to carry The Sportsman Channel ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I play that scenario out constantly in my mind. On my second tuskless last year, I shot about a hand span low, dead center. She turned and moved out. Four follow-up shots later (two from me, one from Buzz and one from my buddy), and she was gone over a ridge. We caught her maybe 15 minutes later, standing still and looking sick. A frontal brought her down.
We had maybe an hour of light left. I was beside myself with worry about losing her. We got her because I was with real pros.
Next year I have a bull hunt. I don't want to go through that again, much less with a trophy bull.
I will practice shooting between now and then, but with a frontal, hitting where you are aiming is not necessarily the issue. Where you aim is the issue. One must learn to have faith, and study and learn. There's kind of a Zen thing, here. If he turns to look at you, that's the shot you have to make.
With the current style of elephant hunting being more confrontational, frontals will be more frequent. Spend time with the diagrams, and focus when the time comes.
The expression "Be the bullet" comes to mind.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I didn't see the show, but what you describe sounds quite familiar. My thought is that we have seen a spike in frontal brain shots over the past 5 years or so, and that as PH’s and clients have experiences similar to the above (and potentially lose the elephant), more will return to the side brain and body shots, especially on bulls. Part of the popularity of frontal shots is due to the increased filming being done, as there is certainly nothing more dramatic than a successful frontal brain shot. Nor anything more satisfying for a client to walk-up to a bull with the big bore...but there is risk. If somebody is going to hunt one elephant in their life, I think they will have a better memory of a clean kill versus a missed frontal followed by a flurry of gunfire. I still believe in getting close to elephant as this is, at least to me, the essence of elephant hunting, but I feel less strongly than I did about a “frontal or nothing” shot, in particular on bulls.

Well said Bill!!! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In New Mexico the show is on at 6:30 PM Sportsman channel.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
I am going to watch it again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that Ivan demonstrated on camera that he has cajones the size of bowling balls when the <60 lber showed to be "a little aggressive". He held his double rifle straight vertical so the elephant saw it right in front and then turned away.

I was incredibly impressed. I bet he is booked up for several years after that.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you assume the client's second shot did not do the job and the elephant turned to run, it is pretty much the PH's job to stop him. The shows I've watched they usually break a hip rather than go for a heart/lung shot but I'm sure each situation has it's own scenerio.

The Boddington show with Ivan is usually excellent viewing fare.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Enjoyed the show.
Got the T VO set

Thanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

This was one of the better hunting shows I have seen in a while, the hunter was definitely a gentleman with a lot of class.

Which concession of Johan Calitz was this hunt conducted? We are heading to Johan's NG32 in the Okavango Delta at the end of August.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim,
some of the channels can be bought "a la carte" on DirecTV. One of 'em I have to buy that way, just not sure which one.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a video, two parts I think on Elephant. They said the brain was the size of a football, and showed where to shoot. The back legs appeared to buckle then the front legs gave away. One fellow stated he would shoot for the knee cap if the brain shot was not properly executed.

I'll have to get the name of these videos as they are very informative. Anyone going Elephant hunting should watch these atleast three times, if not more. They go through a number of clips where alot of elephants are shot, most appeared like frontal brain shots.

I also think Boddington has a video on Elephants, although I have never seen it.

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington does have a very fine video out on Elephant.....So does Charlton McCallum Safaris - both videos exceptional stuff with great teaching, and fine examples caught and examined on film.

BUT.......what I am saying in regard to this African Elephant hunting show is simply this -

THIS T.V. EPISODE GOT MY ATTENTION! It was
exceptionally real for me. I have seen this type of thing happen on other occasions, not always with elephant. To get to that point and time in life, with your 'big chance' squarely on the line, and to have that big elephant turn to run off for good because of a failed frontal shot.....it is giving me pause to rethink and re-evaluate the frontal shot without my PH absolutely ready with a follow-up. It still gives me chills to picture how quickly that bull wheeled and was 'out of there' had that second shot not been good. I say again - MAN.....THAT WAS A GOOD FOLLOW-UP SECOND SHOT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kim, the shows are all NEW episodes. The Sportman Channel " Hornady's Africa with Craig Boddington and Ivan Carter" series air 13 new episodes in the 3rd quarter and re-run those same episodes in the 4th quarter. Thanks for the nice comments on that show everyone, we really try to bring back as much excitement and info as we can from each episode we film. That worked out well-not all do. Two days ago one of my very best cameramen confused the ON button from the OFF button when filming a beautiful 60 lb. Chewore bull getting brained . Thats a hell of a big Zambezi bull, and a really bent producer (me) !
But there are no second takes in our game, and it happens, but that still smarts. The last two lion hunts we filmed had two big males taken, but both before useable camera light. Can't tell a paying client"don't shoot on a departing trophy of a lifetime" as the lights not good. One of the real frustrating parts of this game. I laugh when I see some entertainment shows billed as "REALITY TV" Want to see real reality, come film in Africa outside of game parks !!!
All part of the job though.

Dave Fulson

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
very best cameramen confused the ON button from the OFF but

oh no Dave, I hope it was not Doug again.....he had the same problem on my bull in March....hell of a guy though.....we had a ball the remainder of the trip razzing him.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BINGO !

Dave Fulson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rate Buzz Charlton and Ivan pretty much on par. But, Ivan has better connections!
Between Dave Fulson and Craig Boddington the shows are filmed in as professional a manner as one could dream of. Warts and all, because hunting dangerous game is like combat.
Shit happens, then you got to "fix" it...

Awesome show Dave. When I hit the lottery I plan to be in a segment with you guys.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Oh No....Dave, I bet he is shitting a brick....He was so upset after mine, and now two in one season. Was he hunting with Len Taylor again? I feel for the guy....such a good dude.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Dave they need to do a Firmware update on those Sony camera's. When you are not filming put a big red "X" through the screen.

Mac

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammit, had a long reply and it vanished off the screen. Hate it when that happens. I don't like the frontal brain. Head attitude is a big variable, and on really big bulls (at close range, uphill angle; or with head up) despite the best intentions you may not get enough penetration. So I prefer the side brain and have no problem with a shoulder shot. However, one advantage to the frontal brain is the elephant has to go somewhere after the shot--either straight down or turn. So there may be a better opportunity on the second shot. The sequence discussed was a classic, and the hunter understood how to handle the situation.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I meant to say, and what vanished off the screen, is that despite all plans and intentions, in close cover the elephant often determines the shot. I don't like the frontal brain, but sometimes that's all you have, so you need to be prepared to take it...then back it up if it fails.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
What I meant to say, and what vanished off the screen, is that despite all plans and intentions, in close cover the elephant often determines the shot. I don't like the frontal brain, but sometimes that's all you have, so you need to be prepared to take it...then back it up if it fails.

Oh no, bored already! (?) Smiler

And I think one can get pretty proficient at the frontal shot but only when the elephant is standing still & undisturbed. In other words when there is plenty of time to study the elephant and to shoot.

Then those elephant that charge are another story. Don't see many of them brained, and most of those that do get it, I suspect, are from 'accidental' shots.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McKay
Even worse.. he was with Gibbo ! And I like your idea on the camera !!

Dave Fulson

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
McKay Even worse.. he was with Gibbo ! And I like your idea on the camera !!
Do they have a firmware update that reduces beer bellies on those being filmed? Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw the show and enjoyed it emensly. The hunter summed up my feelings on double rifles and Africa perfectly. One of my all time favorite shows. The hunter made the second shot so fast, I thought Ivan shot. Excellent stuff!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Bill C....yes it's called hunting with PH Len Taylor....On my hunt I lost 20 pounds. By day 10 when we got my buffalo Len tracked our miles on his gps and said we had gone about 178 miles on foot.....I think he just likes to walk for the fun of it....haha

Mac

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
Dammit, had a long reply and it vanished off the screen. Hate it when that happens.

Craig,

If you happen to find it later, see if there are any extras with it. If so, they're probably mine. I seem to loose them too often.

By the way, I've seen the show a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

Thanks to all for making it happen.

David

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting:

1. it's always real
2. it's always good

It's just not always real good.
But it is.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw this show last night finally while at parents with whole family. Couldnt' hear the dialogue because of two very noisy babies, but thought it was a great show too.

That was an extremely quick second shot.

As a side note, if you have Dish Network, you can add the Outdoor CHannel a la carte, but if you have the basic 200 channel like I do, you can't add the Sportsman Channel a la carte, you have to upgrade $10 to the 250 channel package, which has both the Outdoor channel and the Sportsman channel

I'll be upgrading later today so I can start DVRing this show as well.

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to read through this thread and get an answer to my question. Perhaps I missed it. I watched the show last night.
Was the first shot to high? Should it have been 3-4" lower taking into consideration the angle? Personally I would have shot where the hunter did but then again I have never shot an Elephant???
Where was the second shot placed?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this thread this morning, as I caught the last 15 minutes of that show last night. I was similarly impressed by Ivan's client's shooting skills. He was very fast and accurate on the second shot, and obviously knew how to handle his double. Anyone know what caliber he was shooting?
I know that when I see anything with Carter or Boddington connected to it, it is going to be well worth my time.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
There was a point in the show were he shown his cartridge.....Looked like a 450/400 3" to me but I could be wrong. Also looked like it was loaded with a brass solid. Maybe a Barnes? It was a quick glimpse.....

Mac

Mac