Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite plains game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
What do you guys consider to be the most sought after plains game? I personaly am partial to the bushbuck, nyala followed closely by kudu.

I will be going on my first plains game hunt next september, so I really don't know what to expect. I like the previous animals just because the look cool and from what I read supposed to be some toughest to get. Do you think that a 8-9 day hunt for these three would be enough time? I'll probably throw in an impala or warthog to fill the "void" as well. It seems like a lot of hunters come home empty handed when after Nyala or bush buck. Is this a correct assumption?

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite to hunt was Kudu. My sons took Bushbuck and Nyala. I never saw a Bushbuck, but will hunt them again. Nyala are very stunning to look at. Kudu are like hunting elk. Our group enjoyed Oryx as well. They are all great.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I think your favorite will be whichever gives you the most enjoyable hunt and depending on where you are hunting 8-9 days could be plenty or not nearly enough. Go with an open mind, get in the best shape you can and have a helluva good time!
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I think assumption is correct. Bushbuck and nyala can be difficult to hunt.

You might also consider eland. They can present a challenging hunt. Plan on taking your eland early in the hunt so you can have all that good eland meat for dinner.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
My favorite is eland.

Terry, that's some good advice about shooting one early on! Mmmmmm, eland filet......

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

You have picked three animals from the same family and all of them can be found in the same general area of SA. With the right operator I would think that all 3 should come to bag in 8-9 days but of course hunting is hunting. You also should be able to pick up a couple of other animals with ease.

If I can be of more help let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote