New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rem Bullet Choice for Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You are headed to Zim and Zam for buff. You will use a .416 Rem bolt rifle.

Question:
Which of the following bullets in factory ammo would you use?

Choices:
400gr. Swift A-Frame
400gr. Nosler Partition

Posts: 10268 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I voted for the A-Frame but I am biased as it is the usual one for me on buff. It is tough and has always worked. No point in changing.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Like Will above, my first out on Buff with a .416 has always been a 400 gr. Swift A-Frame. And I would not hesitate to use them for follow-up shots if necessary.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No 370 NF option???

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot six with the 400 grain A frame in .416 Rem Mag and not been disappointed.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Posts: 3875 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trophy Bondeds or Barnes X are considerations as well. I've used the Trophy Bondeds with complete satisfaction on Buff.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here I go again, a voice crying out in the wilderness for the A-Square Dead Tough (and/or monolithic).

ah, the loneliness....

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here I go again, a voice crying out in the wilderness for the A-Square Dead Tough (and/or monolithic).

A-sqaure makes great bullets agreed but sometimes hard to find and most of the time what you pay for 50 from another company you only get 25 from art

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a 370 grain North Fork, and will the next time. My softs and solids printed within a half inch of each other. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400 gn NORTH FORK

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to use either of the two or the NF soft.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have only shot 4 buff, but I have shot 2 with each of the bullets in your poll, and both performed perfectly in all cases...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I shot mine with a 370 grain North Fork, and will the next time. My softs and solids printed within a half inch of each other. Good shooting.

+1 The close grouping of softs and solids was a big factor for choosing NFs plus their proven performance. In the total cost of a DG safari the extra cost for the top quality NF bullets is minimal. Will also look at the NF cupped solids for the next trip.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
You are headed to Zim and Zam for buff. You will use a .416 Rem bolt rifle.

I have been a .416 man for too many years and have complete faith in mine. For buff, I always recommend the a frames. Performance is always great. On a side on shot, the bullet is found under the skin on the far side. What more can one ask?

Chinanga Safaris
Phone : 263) 9 247021
Mobiles : 263) 712211822 & 712613613
e-mail : terryfenn@yoafrica.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A-Frames or North Fork "Cup Points" or their standard softs would be my pick in 416.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
In my .416 I get better results from Swift A-frame than Trophy bonded. I think it might be that TB deforms on impact more than SAF (possibly a function of muzzle velocity). On the other hand, I get my best results of all from the banded triple shock Barnes-X. It has the advantage in accuracy, toughness and penetration when shooting in my .416 Remington. Thanks for asking, Bill.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a long term FAN of the Bearclaw. Used them in both 375 H&H & 416 Rigby and never recovered a bullet. Always a DRT situation when I do my part. I see no reason to test anything else.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of the bullets listed above will work very well in a .416. I personally prefer the TSX, but have used the A-frame and Bear Claw, and A_square Dead tough. They have all done amazing jobs on buff and other large game (hippo, giraffe, etc.) Any of these bullets in a .416 equals a DRT buff if you do your job even reasonably well.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I like the TSX the best

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
both are good choices, but IMO the 350gr Barnes TSX is the best in the 416.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBullet:
both are good choices, but IMO the 350gr Barnes TSX is the best in the 416.

+1. And in most other calibers as well.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Any bullet mentioned in this thread will get the job done! We are so lucky these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 400gr. TSX

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just love North Fork

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! In the 416 RM any of those bullets mentioned would work great and to specifically answer your question I don't think there is a lick of difference between the NP and the SAF. Personally I'll be using the TSX in the future.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote