THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Controversial 'Most Dangerous Game' Hunt in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Controversial 'Most Dangerous Game' Hunt in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted
I’m heading back to the US tomorrow from a business trip to Angola. After overnighting in Luanda, I noticed something in this morning's local online newspaper that surprised me. Here is the article from Jornal de Angola – a major Luandan newspaper that is often critical of neighboring countries like Namibia (translation from the Portuguese by AllAfrica Newswire):

Namibia: New 'Most Dangerous Game' Hunt Assailed by Critics

Source: NAMBA Press Agency & Allgemeine Zeitung News

LUANDA, 1 April 2012 (AllAfrica Newswire) – Faced with an 11% decrease in revenue from game hunting concessions in 2011, the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism has given the green light to a plan that will soon allow the so-called 'green sport hunting' of Khalahari Bushmen. This controversial hunting scheme was inspired by green dart-gun hunting of rhinos in South Africa.

Adolf Van der Merwe, president of Ultimate Mano-a-Mano Adventures (Namibia), says his firm has been awarded the first such hunting concession by the Namibian Government. "We are thrilled to be able to offer international hunters the hunt of a lifetime - tracking, stalking, and darting one of the San people of the Khalahari. This is a classic safari the likes of which has not been enjoyed since before WWII when Basarwa Bushmen were available on license for less than the cost of a far less challenging oryx." Mr. Van der Merwe went on to explain that, "naturally only rifles loaded with tranquilizer darts will be used in keeping with our desire to carefully manage all of Namibia's wildlife and to ensure future generations the opportunity to hunt these legendary wildmen of the desert."

Ultimate Mano-a-Mano Adventures has received approval for a concession reaching from the "Korridor" zone between the former Aminuis Native Reserve to the Botswana border. This is considered ideal Bushman hunting grounds inasmuch as many Bushmen occasionally wander out of the Reserve in search of roots and game. There are also many Bushman refugees that cross the border in this area from neighboring Botswana seeking safety and security in Namibia.

Speaking to a reporter from Allgemeine Zeitung, a daily Windhoek newspaper, Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah, the Minister of Environment and Tourism, pointed out that, up until 1936, Bushmen were hunted to extinction in the Southern Cape of South Africa with thousands being killed by hunters and frontiersmen. In contrast with South Africa, "only through many years of dedicated conservation efforts by the Government and the safari industry, Namibia's Bushman population is now healthy, if not thriving." These increased numbers allow for "a judicious and regulated 'green' hunting program similar to the dart programs that allow for hunting rhinos (in South Africa)". Minister Nandi-Ndaitwah went on to say that, "employing strict quotas, along with the capture of vital scientific data (through) blood samples taken from the unconscious trophy, makes the Bushman hunt program innovative, viable, and an exciting challenge for sportsmen worldwide."

News of what is being marketed as the 'Most Dangerous Game' hunt has generated protest from several quarters, including overseas. In the United States, Ingrid Newkirk, president of the anti-hunting organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, wrote in her personal blog, "while PETA is primarily focused on animal rights, we are naturally concerned that government sanctioned dart hunting for aboriginal peoples like the Kalahari Bushpersons could spread to include Australian Aborigines and, who knows, Native American Indians, too. This type of hunting could explode in popularity and eventually see wild animals in the US dart hunted, as well. We can all agree that it's one thing for a hunter to mercilessly hunt down and tranquilize another human being - that, after all, is a fair fight. But to have some craven, blood thirsty, hunter chase down an innocent animal, like a deer or a squirrel, and shoot it with a sharp pain-inducing syringe from a high-powered rifle, well it just makes my blood boil."

Paradoxically, Namibia currently prohibits green hunting for rhinos due to concerns regarding the potential for one of these rare animals dying from accidental overdose. The Namibia Professional Hunting Association has stated that, “nobody may offer, sell or conduct a green rhino dart hunt in Namibia. While we have no objections to hunting Bushmen, rhinos on the other hand are endangered and we have a humanitarian duty to protect the species from potential harm."

Others, however, believe that this move by Namibia could be a shot in the arm for the ailing hunting industry. Heywood Jablome of the South African Sporting Goods Association believes that Bushman green hunts will spur a trickle-down effect in the economy. "This program will generate jobs because sportsmen around the world will now want to visit Namibia in order to hunt this small and wily trophy. We're talking increased revenue for airlines, hotels, taxis, drug manufacturers, and lots of other folk like veterinarians and taxidermists, who will also benefit. For example, once a Bushman is darted on a green hunt, and after the tranquillizer takes effect, a vet will administer needed medication, take blood samples, tag his ear, and extract a molar so as to collect age and health data for ongoing conservation research. Pictures and measurements are then taken so a taxidermist can recreate the trophy to hang in the proud hunter's office, living room, or rectory”.

There is already talk of reintroducing Bushmen into game preserves in the Southern Cape of South Africa to help the hunting industry there. However, some worry that this could lead to ‘canned hunting’ whereby the Bushman is either drugged of over-fed on local boerewors and beer, such that the concept of ‘Fair Chase’ hunting is compromised. The Bushman may also become so accustomed to being fed by gamekeepers that they return from the field and attempt to dine in the lodge kitchen, giving the hunter an unfair advantage - as well as putting kitchen staff and other guests at risk of being darted by accident.

When asked for a comment on this new category of big game hunting, Boyd Schidt, a representative from the US-based hunting organization Safari Club International, responded that, “(t)he move by the government of Namibia to open up to our members the opportunity to hunt the rare and illusive Bushmen of the Kalahari is further evidence of the hard work and success of our organization to expand responsible hunting opportunities worldwide. There is currently a place in the SCI Record Book for rhino green hunts, and I believe that during our next Board meeting a similar category will be introduced, along with a special medal and 'Most Dangerous Game' ring, for successfully taking a mature, free-range, fair-chase Bushman.”

One of the features extolled by the Namibian government about this program is that much needed capital will flow back to the Bushman community. Minister Nandi-Ndaitwah has made assurances that over 0.75% of all license fees will be used to fund programs that create new schools, clean water supplies, and community centers that feature bowling, table tennis, hair salons, video game parlors, and other important but absent cultural enhancements.

Despite these promises, the Bushmen’s representative body, the First People of Kalahari, worries about the consequences of the hunting program on its people. “Has anyone stopped to think about the after-effects of these tranquilizers?”, asked Bushman spokesperson N!xau through a translator. “We also worry that these foreign hunters will be ambushing us at our watering holes or on the way to the village market. And what guarantees do we have that only old, non-breeding trophy males will be harvested? I don’t want my teenage son darted on his way to school and then be propped up and photographed by some (jerk) from Arkansas. He's having enough problems with his grades as it is.”

As for Mr. Van der Merwe and Ultimate Mano-a-Mano Adventures, they have already made plans to offer package hunts for sportsmen with large pocketbooks but limited time. “If you only have ten-days for your leopard hunt, but also really want to take a trophy Bushman, our clients will be able to shoot their big cat and immediately thereafter hunt the Bushman tracker that accompanied them on their hunt. We think this will make for a more intimate and memorable experience – hunting someone you already know and are comfortable with. And given that the Bushman will only be given a thirty minute head-start, coupled with our access to very fast four-wheel-drive vehicles with GPS tracking devices, this almost guarantees bagging a great and memorable trophy in short order. What better way to end your safari?”

Frankly, I’m not sure I agree with this kind of hunting, although if its legal I guess no one should criticize the ethics of any hunter who decides to dart one of these poor buggers. Makes me wonder if you should choose a European mount or a classic shoulder mount – a rug, of course, would be out of the question. By the way, Kathi, have you picked up on this in any of the news media you follow?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
rotflmo nice one

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
And the date is? homer rotflmo clap

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Best one of the day for me.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe dateline of Luanda, and Angolan city, is the dead giveaway for a story supposedly set in Namibia. Nice effort though, so I give it an 8 out of 10.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
THe dateline of Luanda, and Angolan city, is the dead giveaway for a story supposedly set in Namibia. Nice effort though, so I give it an 8 out of 10.

Did you read the first paragraph?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of that guy in Las Vegas I think it was, that was offering "Bambi" hunts using paintball guns... If you "bagged" a Bambi, you got to keep her for the evening..

Remember that?

Turned out to be a joke, but when it first came out, there was quite an uproar about it..

I think I like that better than a smelly wrinkled up bushman anyway..

What say you?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys posted the comment about the story date. I was about to have a bowel movement over this one, until I realized when it was posted.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote