THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Africa' Legendary Professional Hunters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa' Legendary Professional Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
A quick plug for this book. It was just recently released through Outdoor Visions. It is edited by Brooke Chilvers Lubin from African Hunting Gazette. It profiles twenty six professional hunters from across Africa that each have more than thirty years of experience. They sent each PH a questionnaire (about twenty questions ranging from where their family was from to their most dangerous hunting encounter) and then used the questionnaire responses to do a chapter on each. So they read a bit like an interview. Very interesting and informative (with an occasional editing bobble). For example, I did not realize that Johan Calitz had been almost fatally gored by a buffalo about fifteen years ago. It is a bit pricy at $80 plus shipping but I have enjoyed learning about many of the legends in the professional hunting field. Includes folks like Russ Broom, Dirk de Bod, Lou Hallamore, Barrie Duckworth, Robin Hurt, Danny McCallum, John Sharp and Coenraad Vermaak to name a few. Check it out if you like African hunting and reading about African hunting.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike, I'll check it out.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I bought the book, autographed, at the SCI Convention this year. Great book. tu2

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I hope she included her husband, Rudy Lubin, in that list. Rudy deserves to be included.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
I hope she included her husband, Rudy Lubin, in that list. Rudy deserves to be included.

Bill Quimby

In fact, he is.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I just ordered it. Looking forward to it.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Dammit Mike
You just cost me 80+ dollars again

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone got a link to the website? I guess I'm about to get $80 poorer too.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is not on the website yet. Call them on their 800 number and give the title. Just Google Outdoor Visions.

Some interesting stuff. In some cases there is remarkable consistency in their answers to some questions, like what makes a good client. In other cases, there are clearly differences of opinion, like on the caliber choice for dangerous game.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Gibson?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ian is not in the book. The book is embossed Volume 1 and in the introduction the editor indicates they intend to do future volumes (although everyone in the book is living and since the format is interview-like including deceased PHs would require a different approach, and open the field up considerably). She also noted that, not surprisingly, they did not have 100% success with folks replying to the questionnaire. So I have no idea who the questionnaire went to.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing they only questioned PHs that pay to advertise in their magazine?? (But I could be wrong).

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Any chance you can list the PH's who are included?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote