THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    is it possible for two people to hunt on one safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is it possible for two people to hunt on one safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my friend and i are wanting to go africa and hunt. i want to go for buffalo and i think he also does amoung others like kudu. does any one know if we whould have to get two safaris or can we hunt on a single two buff hunt????
thanks BOOM

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
yes, you can do a 2 X1 hunt no problem. I would think a 2x1 buffalo hunt with PG should be no problem.

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes too your answer,

I have a area in Mozambique, where you can hnt buffalo and your frien can do plains game,

10 Days Buffalo, Hippo & Croc USD 15000

October or November 2008

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problem.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the caution being that if either or both of you are very competitive it can make two friends into enemies. that said if you get along together well it'll more fun than alone. the hunting isn't a problem at all

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't recommend 2x1 for the reasons that butchloc brought up. Particularly on a short hunt 2x1 can be a problem. Say you book a 7 day buff hunt. The hunter that you have decided will take the first buff on day three wounds a buffalo and it takes 2 more days to find the buffalo or decide that it cannot be found. That leaves the other hunter 2 days to hunt his buffalo. Also often a 2x1 only saves you $50 per day. It's not worth it unless it is very important that each member of the 2x1 shares the whole safari with the partner.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1x1 is the way to go, It is worth the extra money!

You can still be in the same camp, just have your own PH.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
thumb What Mark said. Unless you have hunted together (side by side) for years, and get along well, I'd go 1x1. You'll both have different stories to share with each other forever. Doesn't save that much $$ as mentioned, and what if a giant trophy pops into view? Who gets it? Think about it. You should both discuss this and look at both sides: pro's and con's. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should look at hunting 2x2, each with your own PHs but out of the same camp.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he's asking if two guys can "split" a single hunt! One hunter, one observer pricing.

I has been done in Tanzania for sure and probably elsewhere too. Either way Tanzania is not going to be cheap though.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You can get away with a 2x1 if it's you and your kid, assuming you are not a competitor with your kid.

2x1 is an especially bad idea on your first safari I would think.

I've done a 2x1 with my boy and with my son-in-law because I didn't care, and just stood to the side while they did their thing.

In 99.9% of the cases though 2x1 is a really bad idea.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of hunts in Tanzania are 2x1 buff hunts and so far were 100% on kills...We have a lot of clients that have been hunting with the same guy for years and want to hunt "together"....Also we have lots of buffalo.

I can see where it could be a problem if you were not really good friends or father and son or whatever, in that one of you would shoot a better buffalo, not doubt about that..

On a 7 day hunt you probably shouldn't be as picky trophy wise and the first shooter should take the first decent bull he sees that has a decent spread and nice boss...Also you both might not get all your plainsgame that is allowed on a 7 day hunt....A 10 day 2x1 is pretty much a cinch for two really nice trophy buffalo.

A 1x1 is best if your an avid trophy hunter and don't want to sit and watch your partner kill a 44 inch buffalo because he got first shot, but many clients are not into shooting the biggest and best and are more into the hunting and comraderie that goes with hunting with a friend..these are good hunts IMO...

I would say it depends on the hunters, it can add to your hunt or take away from it..I love to hunt 2x1 with some of my friends..

Also it costs less money to hunt 2x1...My point being it's not an open and shut case for a 1x1 hunt...

I suspect there are more 2x1 hunts booked for buffalo than 1x1 by a long shot...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price difference between a 2x2 and 2x1 hunt isn't much % wise.

Just because its 2x2 doesn't mean you can't hunt together all day everyday.

If you book 2x2 you can hunt together when you want to and split up when you want to or "need" to.

The flexibility is worth the relatively small % price difference.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also think the poster was wanting to pay for one hunt (ie one daily rate) but "split the bag". If I am wrong, please ignore the rest of this.

This has been done but most operators don't allow it. We have done it for husbands whose wives (or kids) want to shoot one or two animals (but they often shoot more). We ask the hunters to nominate who will hunt and who will observe each day. In other words, there is one rifle on any specific day.

We draw the line at two guys piling into the Cruiser with rifles expecting to pay only one daily rate (and an observer rate).

We know an outfit in Tanzania who does split the bag but they charge each hunter a fairly stiff daily rate...it's really a 2x1 hunt.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Maybe you should look at hunting 2x2, each with your own PHs but out of the same camp.

That is my choice as well, especially if one is booking a hunt of less than 14 days! thumb

I've been on two on one safaris, with close friends, and they worked out fine. However, we had a rule up front, about who shoots first, on the maine animals (in our case Buffalo).

It worked like this! We flipped a coin on the first day of hunting, to see who had first shot, however, if an animals was spotted, and turned down by the winner of first pick, it fell to the other guy to take that animal, if he wanted. Once that was passed by both, the first shot remained with the coin toss. If the animal was taken by the coin toss winner, the next shot went to the coin toss loser. Again if an animals was spotted, and tiurned down by the now first chooser, it fell to the second guy, and so on.

These things are best done with people you know very well, and with safari companies, and PHs with whom you have hunted with before, because agreement from all parties is essential. IMO, the best is a 2X2 however!

............. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Although my hunting partner and I hunt 2x1 and have for over 25 years, we've seen the problems of these hunts when the two hunters' "real" attitudes come out. NEVER hunt 2x1 on your first guided hunt. Too many foibles to deal with.
My partner and I flip a coin for who has the first shot on each animal, equaling out who is first. If that person does not want a specific animal found and wants to wait, the other has the option of shooting. On hunts with more than one species, one of us usually wants something a little more and we set it up so each has a chance at their preferred trophy.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I agree with what has been stated about 1x1 hunts being the best bang for the buck, especially in Africa. However, when my hunting partner and I have had to do 2x1 hunts, we have flipped for first shot but have always used the "right of first refusal" method. If we come upon a trophy (say a decent antelope of some sort) and the shooter is looking for something bigger, he will give the next guy the option to take the animal. This has worked out well for us when one of us was looking for something special and the other wasn't. Of course this wouldn't work well for certain species such as elephant, but then who would try a 2x1 for them anyway.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)