New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afton House
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like I will be staying at the Afton House for a night.I waill have 1 afternoon, 1 night. What (safe) fun is to be had within close proximity?

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that sleep for the afternoon would be in order, particularly if you are suffering from jet lag... then get with other guests and go to the Italian place.. It seems to be more popular than the Steak House. I've been to both and thought either one was fine, but the general opinion seems to favor Italy over faux Texas. Do make sure to grab someone who is either going or coming back from Safari to eat with you. Their anticipation or tales will be infectious. It's a highlight of the trip, in my simple mind.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Not that much interesting nearby. You will probably be too jet lagged when you arrive.

Use the afternoon to get some sunshine (helps you overcome jet lag). I try not to nap in the afternoon. After a big meal at the Italian place (La Gondola?)(they have seafood as well - the Kingklip is really good), take a sleeping pill and get a good night's rest.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
When we stayed at the Afton House last month we went to the Ocean Basket restaurant for dinner. It's in a shopping center several minutes away.

We had one of the best seafood meals we've ever had anywhere, and we live in coastal South Carolina!

We ordered the combination seafood skillet for two and it was terrific. Service was prompt and courteous and the price was very reasonable.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Yes, I forgot about the Ocean Basket. We've eaten there and it is very good.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most hunters seem to now know, the Afton House is a treat not to be missed if it fits into your schedule, they let you do whatever you want to do, sleep, play tourist, and see to it that you are well fed and cared for. I will continue to take advantage of it whenever possible.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There isn't any place you can walk to so the best thing to do is ask Louis to take you to one of several places.

#1) A great curio bazaar where the prices aren't bad, or
#2) if you like cigars there is a nice mall that has a really good cigar shop.

Otherwise just kick back and relax. I did both and sitting in the garden with a good cigar and a good drink is a great way to unwind and get ready for a great hunt.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDaniel,

You won't be disappointed with the Afton House. I like to say that it should be required for hunters, to make for a wonderful beginning and end to a Safari.

I will repeat what I was told to do, and did. Take your sleepnig pill so that you can start to get to sleep at around 3:00 pm, EST. That will put you at about the right time in Africa. Your "clock" is now becomming adjusted.

Once we were there under Louie's care, we were not 'lagged' by doing this to start with. He took us to eat of course, but he took us to a huge curio shop that also has a jewlery store. If you want Courtney Selous boots, he can take you to a mall that has them. Four of us went there, the guy in the store put up the "Closed" sign, and took care of just us until we were done! Louie introduced us to 'Amarula'. We haven't been the same since!

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. of the Afton house collected silver spoons if I remember right. I took her one from Wyoming. Does anyone know if she still does this? I forgot her name, Adeluiose? Wonderful people!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Annalease

Not certain of the spelling, but let phonocs lead your way.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Her name is Annelise.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote