Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
So I took the plunge and booked a 16 day hunt in the Selous with Luke Samaras for Sept 07. The problem is that in Tanz, you cannot shoot some of the species like kudu and sable unless you buy a 21 day safari and with my luck, I'll run across the king of all kudu and Leon, my PH, will have to wrestle the gun out of my hands. So the question is, would you pay the extra $5k on top of the considerable previous investment for the chance at more game?
Deal or No Deal?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
If yu have the extra cash, go for it. If the extra 5K is going to burden you, I wouldn't.
However, we all know that those who hunt in Africa are all very wealthy, so whats an extra 5K to a man of your means? Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer

I have some idea how much money you have already spent. $5000 more in the grand scheme of things won't amount to much but going all the way to Tanzania and not buying a 21 day license if you could afford it is penny wise and pound foolish. It will haught you. I promise!

No tonly will the 21 day license allow you to hunt cats, 3 buff but you'll be able to take all those 21 day plainsgame species not available otherwise.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
In essence, you'd be buying an opportunity for a lion, leopard, elephant, another buffalo,lesser kudu, greater kudu etc for $5,000. That is a no brainer.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Go for it. You'll be sorry if you don't.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

I won my trip to the Selous for 16 days...One of my best friends told me, Mike you are there...It is a no brainer!!!! What would it cost for an additional safari????

Mike cheers

52 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Blacktailer,

I won my trip to the Selous for 16 days...One of my best friends told me, Mike you are there...It is a no brainer!!!! What would it cost for an additional safari????

Mike cheers

52 days till the Selous

SBT says it all!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
In essence, you'd be buying an opportunity for a lion, leopard, elephant, another buffalo,lesser kudu, greater kudu etc for $5,000. That is a no brainer.

Just be sure to know the trophy fees on the glamour game before you pull the trigger. If you're on a strict budget, a 21-day license can be dangerous. Trophy fees, shipping and taxidermy will add up for sure.

That said, buy the 21-day license - just in case. It's a lot cheaper than starting over with a new Safari.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just lengthen your hunt to 21 days and get your true $5000.00 dollars worth?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
You will die with the extra $5000 and never spend it. A year from your hunt you won't miss the money but the memories of your time in the Selous will last forever.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! That's just the ammunition I needed to convince Mrs. Blacktailer. Besides, she might need the extra days to hunt down a zebra.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
In my opinion you are about 80% of the way there with a 16-day hunt, why not take the plunge and spend the extra 20% or so and get the extra Buffalo Lion and Leopard and Elephant on your license?

What you get to hunt on a 21-day hunt represents more than the marginal difference of the increased cost.

If it is a tight budget issue then I think you can answer the questions without any help from us. I get the feeling it is not.

Do it. You will regret not doing it.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with everyone else, it's too damn far to pinch pennies.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

This turned out to be an expensive post!

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do 14 days in the Selous and 7 days in Masailand.Go for it!!Bwana dogo

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you getting from the 16 day hunt that you can't on a 10 day hunt, besides 6 days of fun? Kudu and sable can be had on moderate length licenses in Zambia and Zim, probably for much less. You're going to go back to Africa anyways, right? No need to kill everything in one trip. So, unless you really want to take that extra step to bring in the cats and elephant, I wouldn't do it. Besides, does the Selous even have the variety of so called glamour (plains)game?

Just my thoughts as I fantasy shopped, from an admitted tight wad. Dogo's idea of a Masailand Selous combo though......

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

Are you going to hunt with Claude on this trip?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell your car and do it!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It makes sense to do it now, if you intend doing it anyway later. However, that extra $5K will turn into $25K if you collect a couple of those animals listed on the 21 day license. Trophy fees get up there in a hurry when one pops a lion, and an Elephant, along with two extra buffalo. Something to think about, if you're the type with an itchy trigger finger. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

It's not really the extra 5K it's the trophy fees of the bigger game that could drive it way up, so you just have to decide how high you are willing to go. No matter what your plans are you never know for sure when you are going back so go for it and let that pretty wife of yours shoot something nice. All it would take would be to need a few more days to track that monster Kudu and have to pull off to go catch your plane, been there done that.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote