New
Find
Notify
Tools

taxidermy fees
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reading this forum for many months and in the planning stage of my first trip to Africa. I will be hunting in RSA with a handgun. I hav all but finalized my plans and will be going with Lochi Lochner. My quetions now are about taxidermy fees. I can't seem to get a good idea on what to expect to pay for such things as broker fees, pack and dip fees and freight. Also if having the animals mounted in RSA does the prices you get from taxidermist include the pack and dip? Can you guys recommend some good taxidermist in the Jberg area. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Only raw skins are dipped prior to coming into the US. Finished mounts do not.

Most of us, including myself will advise you to have your taxidermy done here in the states.

Shipping costs are never "cut and dry" it is based on volume and weight of the container and what ever the airlines are charging AND what ever the brokers are charging, etc, etc. There are a lot of hands involved in the whole process and it is never cheap. Plan for the expense and have a good safari. If you do a search you will see many past threads on what people paid on these forums.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Shipping costs are never "cut and dry"

Ain't that the truth.

Just this week, I had an email conversation with the broker handling my shipment from RSA. Due to some early miscommunication between them and the RSA taxidermist, they quoted me a cost of $699.94 to ship all my stuff (12 animals with one warthog shoulder mount, two already finished rugs and the rest just dip/pack) into Los Angeles.

Problem was the shipment was supposed to go to my US taxidermist's tannery in Houston.

Soooo...we got the shipping destination corrected, and I was hoping the cost would be less because of the shorter distance from the east coast. Nope. The cost went up even though the actual routing is shorter.

Why?

Because the broker had to change airlines. For LA, they use CargoLux, but it doesn't fly into Houston. Thus, they had to use Air France, and AF charges an additional "Vet fee" for an inspection in Paris. So now the cost will be $846.89.

Still, after reading some of the horror stories here, I consider that reasonable for the number and size of the animals involved. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote