New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari hunting just got 2X the fun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A week after returning home from our first safari where my wife took her first animal with a borrowed rifle, she bought a Win. Model 70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08! We talked about getting a gun that would fit her and not be too heavy in an adequate but not hard kicking caliber, my outfitter and I agreed that the 7mm-08 is about perfect. Her only question was "Can I kill a kudu with it?" How cool is my bride? I have a Leupold VariXII 2-7 Compact that will fit it nicely.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
That is WAY COOL Congradulations!

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Kevin!

Your safaris will certainly be twice as fun now; and twice as expensive! But that's a small price to pay for having your wife for a hunting buddy!

Consult an architect and start planning the addition now, cause you're going to run out of wall space real quick with two shooters in the family.

The Model 70 Compact in 7mm/08 is a great choice. But you got off easy you lucky dog!

Holly has been using my left-handed (she's right-handed) .300 Jarrett with a 14" LOP (too long for her).

The last time she saw Kenny she told him that she wants a .300 Jarrett of her own for her 29th Birthday...Ouch!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

Congratulations. We add another hunter to our family.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Mark, when Holly sees that you told everyone that she is almost 50, man are you going to be in trouble.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Whew...thanks Terry, I must have lost my head there for a minute!

It's a bad idea to piss off a woman who shoots as well as Holly does!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent! When my wife (girlfried at the time) decided she liked hunting well enough to justify a gun of her own, we started shopping. It took us two years to find a rifle that fit her perfectly. We ended up with a shortened Ruger M77 (tang safety) in .257. She's flat deadly with that rifle, and has taken two mule deer, an antelope, and an oryx since acquiring it. Hunting is much more fun with a good partner. I was more excited last fall when Dana shot her antelope than I was when I shot my first (and only) antelope. Oh, what good times await you.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My outfitter Stef Swanepoel made a good point that when we add a woman or a young person to the sport it's as good as 50 of us (middle aged men). My wife gets a bit more consideration when she explains hunting to someone and may have a better chance of having them see it in it's proper and positive light. Plus now it's not finish the basement OR go hunting, it's finish the basement later for more room for trophies!

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Kevin

Wow you are a lucky guy. A huntress and good looking to boot. But a double edged sword on the wallet.

Good luck on both your hunting careers.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife is a hunter too! She has killed several Texas whitetail deer, black bear, zebra and blesbok. She has claimed my 30/06 and .375 H&H as her own and shoots both as well as I do. As a result, I had to go buy a 416 Rigby. We are going to Tanzania this year and she is going to hunt leopard, buffalo, hippo, plus some other plains game. I really enjoy hunting with her (wish she would pay her own trophy fees though ). Every once in a while she will say something like "why can't we go on a romantic vacation"!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote