New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tuffpak & Clothing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT put your ammo in the same case with your guns, that is against airline regulations....you cannot put another suitcase or bag in your tuff case with ammo in it....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
After reading all the posts on Tuffpaks and how may guns they allow in a firearms container, a friend believes that neither the airlines of TSA allow clothing inside a tuffpak. That the tuffpak can only contain 2 rifles, misc shooting supplies etc as stated on Delta's web page. Harry, please say it ain't so, I need some re-assurance..

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't so...I use clothes to pad the guns and cameras and binocs in the Tuff Case....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That would be a bitch after buying the tufpak and only guns are allowed in it...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott for getting that cleared up. I nearly fainted with I read that. Will finish packing tomorrow and leave Monday.

Hartley

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you put ammo in the tuffpak with the guns?

Here is my theory: If I take 2 guns in separate tuffpaks, then there should be a better thance that I arrive at my destination with at loeast one of my guns. If the ammo for that gun is in the same tufffpak as the gun, then I will have a gun and ammo to use, even if one tuffpak is lost.

Can I do this?

Thanks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
500 Grains has the right idea...redundency! I don't own two gun cases, but stuff gets divided up between my suitcases/gun cases and whoever I am hunting with. That way you've doubled the chances of getting at least 1/2 your stuff there.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put your stuff in the Tuffpak and hook 'em.

I bought an inexpensive lockable metal cash box at office supply.

Take out plastic coin tray and put in ammo in the boxes they come in. Lock box and put in Tuffpak.

I now have ammo locked and not handy to rifles. Rifles. clothing and ammo just happen to be in the Tuffpak.

If you encounter a problem then take out cashbox and add secure tape and ship as extra luggage. You could use an old Army ammo can with common padlock to do same thing.

In three trips to three different African countries nobody has given me or any member of my party a problem about ammo or firearms. All my experiences are with Delta, SAA or KLM.

These flight were 1992,2000 and 2002.

I might add that when I go up to the airline counter I tell them I am traveling with "sporting arms"...it seems to soften the blow to some rather than the word GUNS! Works for me and might for you.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500Grains,

On our trip to RSA last year my partner and I each checked one rifle case and one bag with clothes , ammo etc.

Upon arrival in Joburg, rifle cases were there but not suitcases. [They caught up 12 hours later - but it appears that they were sitting in the "back room" somewhere - perhaps waiting for the correct tip or incentive to be found?].

On the return trip, we arrived home in Tampa, both suitcases arrived, but both rifle cases didn't make the connection, they did arrive later that day though.

Not sure the double Tuffpak is a sure cure.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from S.Africa. I stuffed mine with 2 rifles
in their soft cases and clothes. Delta didn't mind. SAA either. Checking the guns at the airport means unpacking
so be prepared. Also when you arrive. Both guns were 'on'
when I got there and when I got home. With clothes in the Tuffpac my other bag was smaller and that helped. Each year I seem to carry fewer and fewer clothes with me, I buy more and more things while I am there and have room for them because of the extra luggage space. My second choice are the SKB's with the cut outs for the guns. I have carried them several times to Africa.
Ed

Posts: 52 | Location: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that each airline may make their own rules but they are to be more stringent than the FAA. Some airlines will allow ammo and guns in the same case but don't expect airlines employees to know what their own rules are. I had ammo and guns in the same case with KLM. Their website clearly stated that it was permissable. The Luggage guy jumped me and said it was not legal. I told him it was. He said it was not. I said I have the printout from the website in my possesion that stated it clearly. He changed the subject. Check out the website for your particular airline. Printout their traveling with Sporting Arms section. Take it with you when you go. We did the same as you. 3 rifles in 2 cases, each containing matching guns and ammo. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to unpack everything if you will just do the following. Place gun in the soft case and then put gun into Tuffpak muzzle down. All you should have to do is to unzip case and pull gun part way out to show it is unloaded.
Stick gun back into case and zip up.
Lid goes back and lock goes on and you go Adios to Africa!
You should always have a copy of the airlines luggage rules with you when you fly out. It sure takes the fight out of the counter dog that supposedly knows all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Ray...these days you can do a lot of things and seems some airlines are telling hunters to put ammo in with the guns. Many of us have done it in the past (myself included) and many times I have had it in my luggage and still....not one soul has asked about my ammo be it a trip to Africa or a trip inside the USA.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Although SAA and Delta's rules do not mention clothing as one of the things you can put in your Tuffpak they don't say you can't either. I intend to pack some clothing in mine.
Both airlines specifically state you can put ammo in the gun case but I think it is prudent to spread it out in your regular checked luggage as well.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

After reading all the posts on Tuffpaks and how may guns they allow in a firearms container, a friend believes that neither the airlines of TSA allow clothing inside a tuffpak. That the tuffpak can only contain 2 rifles, misc shooting supplies etc as stated on Delta's web page. Harry, please say it ain't so, I need some re-assurance..

It ain't so. I just travelled with a Tuffpak less than a month ago that had my clothing and guns in it.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Although SAA and Delta's rules do not mention clothing as one of the things you can put in your Tuffpak they don't say you can't either. I intend to pack some clothing in mine.
Both airlines specifically state you can put ammo in the gun case but I think it is prudent to spread it out in your regular checked luggage as well.

Here is the info straight from the South African web site:
THE FREE CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE SHALL BE:

* For passengers entitled to travel first or business class, two checked bags (pieces), the sum of the three dimensions not to exceed 158 cm's (62 INS) for each bag (piece);
* For Passengers entitled to travel in economy class, two checked bags (pieces), the Sum of the three dimensions not to exceed 158 cm's (62 in) for one bag (piece) and not to exceed 140 cm's for the other bag (piece);
* For handling purposes, the maximum weight of any bag (piece) of the free Baggage allowance specified above shall - not be more than 32 Kg (70 LB)
* For infants not entitled to a seat, one checked bag, the sum of the three Dimensions not to exceed 115 cm's (45 INS), plus one fully collapsible stroller or push-chair, which may be carried in the passenger cabin.
* The following articles irrespective of their actual dimensions may be considered as a piece of baggage at 158 cm's (62 ins):
o One sleeping bag or bedroll;
o One rucksack / knapsack/ back pack;
o One pair of snow skis with one pair of ski poles and one pair of ski boots;
o One golf bag;
o One duffel-type bag;
o One single seat touring or racing bicycle, (Non-Motorised) provided that the handlebars are fixed sideways and the pedals are removed;
o One pair of standard water skis or one slalom water ski;
o Suitably packed fishing equipment which may consist of not more than two rod, one reel, one landing net, one pair of fishing boots, and one fishing tackle box.
o Sporting firearms consisting of not more than:
+ One rifle case containing not more than two rifles, 5Kg (10 LB) of ammunition, one shooting mat, noise suppressers and small rifle tools;
+ Two shotguns and two shotgun cases, or
+ One pistol case containing not more than five pistols, 5 Kg (10 LB) of ammunition, noise suppressers, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools.

I have never put ammo in the rifle case before, but would if it was not a real hassle at check-in. Your idea of spreading it out between bags has merit as well. This year my checked bag arrived with me, but my rifle case was a couple of days late. I was able to borrow a rifle in 375 H&H and use my own ammo. The only problem with spreading the ammo out is that you have to take all the ammo out in Joburg at the police area. This year the policewoman on duty actually counted the ammo to see that it matched my application (the first time they have done this in Joburg, but in Tanz they do this routinely).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave Monday morning for Zimbabwe and have found lots of usefull information on the forums, thanks SBT for putting me on to AR . I talked with Delta today and yes you can put your ammo in the case with the gun. It even says so on their web site. SAA however does not state where the ammo can be carried other than not in carry on. I spoke SAA today and they were very clearn the ammo should be in seperate luggage. I told them they the information they have posted does not say that specifically. Even after explaining that my flight orginated with Delta they said ammo must be seperate. They were unable to tell me what would have happened if the ammo had been packed with my tuff pac. Guess I will pack ammo seperately rather than chance pissing off someone.

Hartley Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
hKittle- SAA's website specifically says that ammo can be in the gun case. Review Mbogo375's post above. print their rules off the internet and take a copy of them with you. John

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Regardless what the websites say why would you want to pack your ammo with your guns? Keep it in your luggage and spread it around thus increasing the chances that some ammo will arrive. If the counter person wants you to put the ammo in the gun case you can easily do it. On the other hand if you have your ammo and guns packed together and the counter people feel it is not the way to go they may get that glazed panic look and give you a very hard time.

Most of these airline folks are not anti gun just incredibly ignorant about guns and get very nervous when dealing with them. I try to avoid giving them any reason to freak out.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Mark- I agree. That is pretty much what I said in my previous post in this thread. The only thing that I am concerned about is whether the airlines will get pissed off if you have ammo in your checked luggage as neither Delta or SAA say that is where to put it. Since others have done this I guess it is OK to do. Just trying to follow their rules! John