MATETSI HUNTING SAFARI COMPANIES
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted
WHAT ARE THE CHIOES?
WHAT ARE THE BEST BOLCKS FOR SABLE?
WHO TO GO WITH??

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Depends what you are after, time of year .......oh and book with a Zimbabwean PH/operator or one of their agents!!

Sable, Unit 1 get hold of Tim Farren tim@farrensafaris.com

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted all the Matetsi Units last year I would have to say the best Sable are on Unit 2. Although I did see some good ones on Unit 3.

Posts: 80 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Unit 3 a few years ago. The sable that I took was not that impressive, but we had seen better ones in the days prior, when we were not hunting them as I did not yet have a permit.

I would say that we did see bulls between 42 and 44". I'm not sure what your expectations are.

I hunted with HHK.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've been to Matetsi 3 several times, the last visit (non-hunting) was June of 2012. I have a video that I'd be glad to send you if you would p.m. me your address.

My daughter and I had a great safari with HHK Safaris with Lou Halamore and Kevin Baisley as our P.H.'s. You'll see some of the sable we saw (we weren't hunting them). Several were over 40".

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with HHK in September 2012. This was in unit 3. Lou Hallamore was my PH while his son Clive guided my brother. Although I enjoyed my time with Lou talking about the war, I do not recommend hunting with HHK. I had a written contract specifically including, one Eland, one Kudu, one Waterbuck, and one Bushbuck. When I wanted to hike after some Eland the first day to see if there were any representative males, Lou informed me the quota for them was filled, as was Kudu and Waterbuck. Nice, since I discussed this with Lou at 2 SCI conventions and he was sitting next to me when we filled out the contract specifically listing the quota I wanted.

They overhunt the unit. I did see two barely 40 inch class Sable, and one good bushbuck, but that's it. Lots of sable just standing around like cattle, but it appears they trim off the males immediately upon getting good enough. I refused a probably 40 inch Sable. They are the most surprisingly tame animals. Every other plains game species was cleaned out of anything approaching adult male standards. In fact the skinning shed was stocked with the most extensive collection of subpar kudu, waterbuck impala, etc that I have ever even seen in person or in pictures. By subpar I mean embarrassing. I didn't measure them but I'd bet real money there was no Kudu in the shed that came close to 45 inches. Unless your intention is to just hunt lion or maybe "Jaws" the leopard, I would not hunt here. It doesnt even have the benefit of being attractive country. So many great looking places with better game management are available to you.

On the plus side I spotted a nice bushbuck the last afternoon, and had an exciting stalk and run with one of Lou's trackers, and got him. The last one on quota.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG,

Lots can change in two years, but my experience in November 2010 was quite different.

Buffalo were very abundant. I hunted with two friends and we took three very nice buffalo, 39 1/2, 41 and 43 1/2" spreads if I recall. The hunter leaving camp when we arrived had taken a 42" something buffalo as well.

I saw numerous very good waterbuck, I'd say 29" or better.

I only saw kudu from a very long distance, so I can't really comment on them.

Sable were all over with some pretty good bulls over 40".

We saw a lot of game including Tssebe and Roan (the first really wild free ranging roan I've seen). Between the three hunters we also saw eland, common reedbuck, african wildcat, wild dog, lion, elephant, grysbuck, steenbuck, warthog and other game that probably escape me at the moment.

Lou is a fantastic guy to share a camp with, knowledgable, experienced and a gentleman. And best of all still very enthusiastic after all these years of hunting.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SGOlds

I am really sorry about your experince on Unit 3 in 2012.

HHK is a good outfit and Unit 3 has hisorically had great hunting. The quotas in Matetsi are small 6 Sable 10 Kudu etc etc. I was on Unit 3 and saw several good Kudu last year and also saw several Sable in the 40 to 43 inch class.

Unit 2 has been hunted less than all the other Units so Sable etc seem to be in greater abundance. Unit 4 has great Kudu infact if you shoot under 54 you have not looked hard enough. Matetsi although having a large number of Kudu has never been famous for bulls of 57 plus although 50 inch Kudu are very common. In addition to this 28 inch Waterbuck are also common.

It is without doubt the finest general bag area in Zimbabwe, and has some of the best Lion Hunting available in Africa today. Buffalo in Unit 1 are there in huge numbers and good trophy quality 38 plus.

I have been in Matetsi since 1972 and a lot has changed over the years but so have all the hunting areas in Africa, and the good old days of 45 inch Sable and 44 inch Buffalo are limited to very few areas, nevertheless the hunting experince is still top notch in Matetsi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ B:
SGOlds

I am really sorry about your experince on Unit 3 in 2012.

HHK is a good outfit and Unit 3 has hisorically had great hunting. The quotas in Matetsi are small 6 Sable 10 Kudu etc etc. I was on Unit 3 and saw several good Kudu last year and also saw several Sable in the 40 to 43 inch class.

Unit 2 has been hunted less than all the other Units so Sable etc seem to be in greater abundance. Unit 4 has great Kudu infact if you shoot under 54 you have not looked hard enough. Matetsi although having a large number of Kudu has never been famous for bulls of 57 plus although 50 inch Kudu are very common. In addition to this 28 inch Waterbuck are also common.

It is without doubt the finest general bag area in Zimbabwe, and has some of the best Lion Hunting available in Africa today. Buffalo in Unit 1 are there in huge numbers and good trophy quality 38 plus.

I have been in Matetsi since 1972 and a lot has changed over the years but so have all the hunting areas in Africa, and the good old days of 45 inch Sable and 44 inch Buffalo are limited to very few areas, nevertheless the hunting experince is still top notch in Matetsi.

Russ ..how is the elephant hunting in Matetsi these days? I am sure some units are better than others.

Thanks

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant Hunting in Matetsi

Matetsi historically has never been famous for big Elephant, and I can assure you as far back as the 70 s Matetsi produced 40 to 45 lb Bulls, with the occasional 70 pounder taken every year on either Unit 2 or Unit 3 and Unit 6.

That being said this has changed somewhat with Botswana huge over population problems and lack of food and water. I have seen more Elephant in Matetsi last year than I saw most of my childhood in the area. Unit 2 Unit 3 and 6 border Botswana along with Kazuma and Panda Masuie Forest Area. I think the chances of taking Bulls of 60lbs plus in these areas are excellent especially late in the year when massive concentrations of Bulls are moving in from Botswana.

The hunting in these areas for big Elephant is as easy as it gets no thick bush and easy visibility, and if you have a little patience and luck you will secure a good bull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ B:
Elephant Hunting in Matetsi

Matetsi historically has never been famous for big Elephant, and I can assure you as far back as the 70 s Matetsi produced 40 to 45 lb Bulls, with the occasional 70 pounder taken every year on either Unit 2 or Unit 3 and Unit 6.

That being said this has changed somewhat with Botswana huge over population problems and lack of food and water. I have seen more Elephant in Matetsi last year than I saw most of my childhood in the area. Unit 2 Unit 3 and 6 border Botswana along with Kazuma and Panda Masuie Forest Area. I think the chances of taking Bulls of 60lbs plus in these areas are excellent especially late in the year when massive concentrations of Bulls are moving in from Botswana.

The hunting in these areas for big Elephant is as easy as it gets no thick bush and easy visibility, and if you have a little patience and luck you will secure a good bull.

Thanks Russ..I remember Peter Johnstone did pretty well on eles for many years. Do you remember which block he had?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkinAfrika Consulting
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear that.I am busy looking at Matetsi
and Tsholotsho 2014 April hunt .Which one would you say is the better one.

Theo Blignaut
Skype theo.blignaut1
Skype phone +27127435304
Nalie Smit
+27766183354
e mail:naliesmit@gmail.com
www.skinafrika.com
E mail theo@skinafrika.com
Hunts available in Berkino Faso, South Africa,Namibia,Mozambique,Zimbabwe,Tanzania,CAR,Cameroon,DRC,Kyrgystan,Kajikistan,New Zeeland

Posts: 198 | Location: Ukraine/South Africa | Registered: 22 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
WHO HAS UNIT #2 ?

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's some black guy. I forget his name, but I met him. Nice guy. Part of the black business promotion planning coming from the central committee in Harare no doubt. We drove around some of the unit and I photographed a giant leopard. Lou thought it was a lioness when it jumped out into the road 7 yards in front of our truck. First leopard I ever saw in the wild and I have never seen a clearly bigger one in a picture. Also photographed a 45-47 inch Sable. I learned that when you stop to get out and photograph a Sable, they react like cattle. Just stand and look. Great animal for photography. Good luck finding a Roan bull that will stand like that. They react like they have been shot at from cars their whole life. And they don't hunt Roan.

Also regarding elephant, there is a huge farming metroplex right across the boarder in Bots. now. Because of all the water there is more food and now water for elephants in Botswana than there was in years past. So I was told fewer elephants cross into Matetsi 3 or the nearby units than in the good old days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matetsi 2 is owned by National Parks, Unit 3 HHK.

I do most of my safaris on Unit 2, and some on Unit 1. Peter Johnstone used to have Unit 3 from the 70's until he lost it in the late 80's. Unit 3 and 2 historically always proiduced the best Elephant and I think still do although it is seasonal, and if you would like a chance of a good Elephant it should be late in the year. Last year I saw groups of 30 plus Bulls watering on the Matetsi River with a couple in the 50 to 60lb range but as said before only late in year end of August onwards.

As far as general Elephant population goes when I was a kid growing up in Matetsi we almost never saw Elephant, and yet today it is not unusual particularly on Unit 2 to see a 150 plus Elephant a day.

In addition Kazuma and Panda Masuie forest areas also take good bulls, once again late in the year.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Russ, is unit 2 the old Westwood area that Roy Vincent, and Fannie Pretorius before him, used to hunt?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Russ, is unit 2 the old Westwood area that Roy Vincent, and Fannie Pretorius before him, used to hunt?

I may be wrong but I believe that unit went to Photo Safaris only...Russ can confirm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russ, Sounds like you are the Man from Matetsi. You should really write a book instead of badgering Geoff to finish his. You could add a chapter on how to predict a baby's sex with a wedding ring and a strand of hair, you could claim 50% success rate. Keep in touch.
Gary and Jane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 2 is on the Botswana border bordering Kazuma Forest Area and Unit 3. Unit 7 is now and has been photo safaris, it did indeed used to belong to Fannie.

Well Gary you know what they say " 50% of the time i am right all the time"

Regards to you both.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
In 2008 I hunted Matetsi for buffalo and with a friend for his plains game and tuskless elephant. I don't remember the specific area we were in. The game populations were fine but too many small areas caused too many "scouts" to ride along with us.
They did absolutely nothing and, of course, wanted a big tip. Their attitude was poor and one threw his tip bills on the ground stating, "Not enough." I picked up the money and walked away. The camp was owned my a fella named Theo B. It was the worst camp I have ever been in: ants in the showers and the seating area by the fire, great dinners but poor and skimpy lunches, and he was too cheap to get diet Coke for my diabetes. Also, as it was a communal area, lots of cattle in the areas we were hunting and their herders, too. Matetsi is a great area I've been told, but some sections may not be.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari areas don't have people or cattle.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gunny:
Good point but it was what it was. You are correct and I can't explain it. There was a mixture of cattle, people, etc., with the game. At time whilst driving we would come to the VF airport. Other than that I have no explanation.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think people get confused when sold a " Matetsi hunt'. There are several UNITS ( safari areas, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and then there are the farms surrounding these units. Coupled with this there are some forestry areas around Matetsi. Generally these days anyone trying to market their hunts use the word Matetsi in order to bolster their sales. They may not be in the Matetsi safari area itself.

If they are on farms, then cattle and people are present. I have heard some guys market Matetsi when they are in fact 150 km's away.It would be simple if anyone having a Unit in Matetsi Safari area marketed it as such and anyone hunting the surrounds used the words, NW Zimbabwe!!

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Martin.

All the camps on the Concessions are top notch, as is the hunting.The Forestry Areas are good as well.

The farms are all located on the Eastern Boundry of the Matetsi Concessions and although some of them have reasonable hunting there is no comparision between the two.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Martin:
Your explanation answers a lot of my questions over the years. I was in a camp owned by Theo Bronkhorst and whilst on drives we came upon the VF airport. Also, villages and railroad tracks.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hope that anyone hunting in the Matetsi area avoids hunting or even visiting Woodlands for any reason. It is confiscated lands and is documented as such by the former SADC Tribunal.
Theo Bronkhorst has been known to have hunted on Woodlands and other areas nearby.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted with HHK, Unit 3, in October 2012. It was very hot but we had a great hunt. My good friend and I did a 2x1 hunt with Clive Hallamore. We took two very nice buffalo, one 38 and the second with 40” spread and 16” bosses. I also took a 41” sable and saw many close to 40. We also took two kudu, one 53” and the other a true beast at 59+ (no matter how many times we measured he just wouldn’t go 60!)

Other game taken included impala, warthog, baboon, civet, and the better bird hunting than I could of imagined. The elephant were everywhere and though we weren’t hunting them several “reasonable” bulls were seen. I thought the camp was very comfortable and Clive worked his butt off, as usual, to put us on game despite the heat.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I ran across a company called Africa Maximum Safaris on the internet a couple of days ago. I found it after reading about an area near Unit Four in another post on AR. Did not give it much thought until today.

I attended the Louisiana Sportsman Show in Gonzalez and one of the first booths I saw was Africa Maximum Safaris. I stopped by the booth and asked a couple of questions. One was where did they hunt in Zimbabwe. These are the areas/camps he gave me in response.

Matetsi Six
Robins Camp Hwange
Breakfast
Bingwa

I then asked him if he realized it was illegal for Americans to hunt on Matetsi Six as it is run by General Constantine Chiwenga and/or his wife Jocelyn Chiwenga who are both on the banned list, if he knew it was illegal to hunt on Hwange, and that Breakfast was stolen from its owners.

I am not familiar with Bingwa but am anxious to see who owned the property prior to 2001. Bingwa is one of those areas marketed as Matetsi but is not a Matetsi unit.

He said he did not care and he going to make a living hunting those areas, which he repeated several times. He further stated Zim is a poor country so they are willing to take his money and that he was able to export trophies from Zimbabwe. I stated the people he is paying off are keeping the money for their own benefit which did not bother him. He seemed proud to be taking advantage of the situation.

Probably what upset me the most was his general attitude and lack of regard for the laws and ethics which most Zimbabwean PHs live and work by. There are many problems in Zim and to take advantage of them is just plain wrong.

If you hunt in Zim book with a Zim PH/outfit or at least a foreign outfit working with a reputable Zim PH/outfit. It is truly not that difficult to weed out the good ones from the bad ones.

How many US hunters would book a couple of duck hunts with a Mexican outfitter in Mexico then use the same Mexican outfitter to hunt deer in Canada? Why is it done all the time in South Africa and Zimbabwe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe is the modern Lado Anclave. Get rich quick, and get your hunts cheap. Robbins camp is inside Hwange Nat park if the sign at the southern edge of Unit 3 means anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, some guys just don't give a damn, they market smaller shows out of the limelight hoping to attract unsuspecting folk!

SG, if rape was legalized would that make it right!!

Mart

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
About my prior post. I recall being in areas such a Breakfast, Woodlands, Kasibi, Kalala (the last two may not be spelled correctly). Camp overlooked a lake and was run by Theo Bronkhorst and the camp manager was Adrian (who, at the time, was a learner PH and I understand he now has his full license). The camp was poor as to quality and most of the staff with poor attitudes. I booked the hunt with Gary Hopkins and he was my PH. Theo would stop by at times for dinner. Adrian took us to town and we met his girlfriend (now married I believe) and her dad was a PH with some great photos and rifles of his she showed us. Each day we came to school kids, herders and cattle, villages etc.. We went to a "business" that showed villagers how to properly grow and market crops and was run by contributions. The folks that ran the place lived VERY well off those well-intentioned folks who contributed money.
Does this sound like the areas I remember from 2008? I remember thinking whilst there "Why all this great talk of Matetsi? It isn't all that great." I am coming to an understanding now.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct Cal, those areas used to produce great quality trophies, overhunting, poaching and a general 'free for all' have all turned that around. Sounds like you were at Kasibi, Adriaan Van Eerden was the manager ( he has a buffalo/ leopard licence now ).
Anyway Matetsi safari area and the surrounds are miles apart when it comes to quality!

Mart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin, no it would not be right. The "Free for all nature of hunting in Matetsi" is exactly why I call it Lado. If the Zim PHs don't like it, they could actually do something about it. By way of suggestion, I would point to those Zimbos who shadow the South African Pirates. Why does the ZPHA allow this?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Martin, it all makes sense now after nearly five years. I can see being told I was to hunt in Matetsi was to blow sunshine up my backside as it has a good reputation.
Cal
PS. By the way, it was good meeting you in Dallas at Emmie's table.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Martin, no it would not be right. The "Free for all nature of hunting in Matetsi" is exactly why I call it Lado. If the Zim PHs don't like it, they could actually do something about it. By way of suggestion, I would point to those Zimbos who shadow the South African Pirates. Why does the ZPHA allow this?

I believe the good guys are doing what they can. But if you believe there is freedom of speech there you are sadly mistaken.

There are some bad guys in Zim that wield a big stick.

posted Hide Post
I want to respond to some of the allegations that have brought to my attention.

TNJohn- I have hunted the matetsi properties for 10 years and continue to do so.This is no secret.I hunted on woodlands for a season 4 years ago.Both landowners are aware of this and if they have a problem then they can get hold of me as I know I am above reproach.If you are a zimbabwean you can meet me in Victoria Falls and prove this to you as I will be there on friday the 23rd march.

Gunny- most areas in Zimbabwe are camp fire areas and have people etc.Only your national parks areas are true safari areas with out people.Alot of tanzania,zambia,botswana,zimbabwe and mozambique have people in their hunting areas.

Martin Peters- you of all people know what my position is in matetsi as we have spoken about it personally.To say that these matetsi areas should be known as NW zimbabwe is ludicrous as there is only a dirt track between the areas.The same buffalo herds and other game circulate between these areas making it a unique free range area.Dont make an allegation about places in general, you have not been there personally and you say it is "overhunted, poaching and free for all" is wrong.My areas are well managed with anti poaching, fireguards and graded roads.You cannot say this about the omay where reports from some of your friends say the poaching is out of hand.In 10 years of hunting I have had 1 buffalo failure.I can guarantee you cant say that about the omay or some of the matetsi units.I have always hunted legally and have put alot back into my areas.I did a couple of hunts in Robins camp with a legal permit from parks.You and some others were unhappy about it so I stopped.This program has carried on unabated and when you were presented with the evidence of alot of illegal hunting in december you did nothing.WHY because as Mike70560 says there are some bad guys out there and politics plays a big part.You of all people are quick to castigate your own members but do not do anything to others because you are s--t scared.In a private email to you I mentioned how you and others are quick to castigate the south african PH's or operators when it suits you, however you will use them and hunt them when it suits you even by breaking the laws of zimbabwe which you claim to uphold.You know perfectly well what I am referring to.Some of the worst perpetrators of over shooting are the people you support.Check the quotas from 2 years ago to now and you will see a 60% increase in the buffalo quota alone.How is this sustainable?

Cal Pappas-I have just spoken to Crystal(Gary Hopkins wife),the scout as well as my former camp manager.If you remember correctly we were at the worst point in our inflationary point in Zimbabwe history and groceries and the more luxury items were in short supply.Crystal said that you were diabetic and would send certain items for you which she did.I certainly miscalculated the ammount of diet coke that you consume.We ran out and and I then drove to botswana to resupply.To say I was mean is BS.Every client that went through that camp absolutely loved it bar you.Virtually every client compliments us on the catering.

As to the tips.I was not there and I can only relate from the scout and manager.The american client ( which are known for the generosity) have brought in a culture of tipping.Unfortunately it has become expected as the norm.Most of the clients are very generous.Unfortunately you were not.The scout was given a $20 tip after 10 days of hunting and felt aggrieved and declined this.That person does not work for me and by law I have to have him and a scout from all different areas on the truck to safe guard the land owner interests.To say my staff is not up to standard is BS as you are judging me on somebody that does not work for me.

Gary Hopkins is a good PH and friend.I know Gary is very fastidious in his communications with clients etc.He would of told you that you were hunting on commercial farms.Besides meeting you in camp a couple of times I have never been in touch with you before or after the hunt so at no point could I have misrepresented my area or hunting conditions.On a previous topic on the forum you had very little good to say about PH's, tips ,hunts,and seems that where ever you hunt you have a problem.You are not the kind of client that is here to have a good time but to moan about everything.I believe you to be the problem as some peole pointed out, how can you be right all the time and all the others wrong.I when in camp was not told at any point by any one including yourself of any problem which would have been sorted out immediately.

SG Olds- Unfortunately until the rule of law returns this culture of impunity will continue.This culture is country wide and not just in matetsi.80% + of game no longer exists on commercial farms and some campfire areas.This is reality.I am one of the few who has put my own resources in protecting wildlife on commercial farms for future generations including my 2 sons who are PH's.

Mike 70560-Sir it sad to see what has happened in Zimbabwe.The stick is certainly the law.Myself and many others dont have the freedom of speech or expression here

In closing I wish people would verify some facts before trying to create false allegations on a public forum which can create alot of doubt.If these allegations dont stick then the person has still been painted with a tar brush.This can affect future bookings and it is down right wrong.Any one can PM me a any time and I can answer any question.Please dont hide behind a non de plume.Thanks Theo Bronkhorst

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering what happened to Kasibi..I hunted there in 1991 and have fond memories...44" sable, 2 1/2" grysbuck and a few others. At the time it was owned by a blind man named Karosellous (spelling?).

I was cutious as to what happened as I have not heard much in the past 10+ years.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Theo,

My name is Michael Burke. That has always been on my website on the bottom of every post I make.

Without the rule of law in Zimbabwe it has become more important for clients to become familiar with the situation in Zimbabwe and base our hunting choices on our own ethics.

A couple of cases in point.

Hwange. First of all as I understand it is (was)illegal by the Zimbabwe Constitution to hunt in National Parks. Just because a Parks official can allow a hunt does not make it proper. Where does the money go? Also it does not seem to be a proper way to manage game nor does it lend itself to selling photographic safaris which is the mainstay of the Park. Carve out the Robbins Camp area and make it a safari area if Parks wants to hunt it. Just because Parks condones something does not make it ethical in my view.

Stolen Property.

As TNJohn stated Woodlands was taken from its owner around 2001. The SADC tribunal ruled the property should be returned to its rightful owner. Of course the ruling was ignored. I am sure there is more to the whole story but the fact is the owner is still not on his property. Many of us know people or hunted with people that lost farms in the takeovers. I have a friend that loss her farm back in 2001. Her husband was 5th generation Rhodesian. She sent her daughter back to our hometown in the States for several years and their life was completely uprooted. They are Harare now making the best of it. Ethically I would struggle hunting land from the takeovers because of this. Again that is my view, others ethics are different, but it is important to know where as hunt is being conducted. To me Matetsi Safari Area comprises of units one through seven. The other areas should be called by what they are: Breakfast, Woodlands, Bingwa, etc. so that people do know where they are actually hunting.

I also understand the new Zim Constitution contains language ending all claims to stolen properties by the previous owners. not sure if it is correct as I read that on Yahoo.

I am sure Martin will respond to the post, however I was in Omay North in November. we picked up some wire snares one day of a 12 day hunt and we covered a lot of territory on foot during the hunt. While poaching is an issue everywhere I have hunted including the Selous I did not find it to be rampant in the Omay.

Again much of my post is based on my ethics and personal beliefs but I believe people should have the facts in front of them to make their own decisions.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Having tried hundreds and hundreds of cases as a lawyer and a judge, it still always surprises me when a party explains his or her behavior in a manner that is more damning than if they just kept their mouth shut.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Theo,

My name is Michael Burke. That has always been on my website on the bottom of every post I make.

Without the rule of law in Zimbabwe it has become more important for clients to become familiar with the situation in Zimbabwe and base our hunting choices on our own ethics.

A couple of cases in point.

Hwange. First of all as I understand it is (was)illegal by the Zimbabwe Constitution to hunt in National Parks. Just because a Parks official can allow a hunt does not make it proper. Where does the money go? Also it does not seem to be a proper way to manage game nor does it lend itself to selling photographic safaris which is the mainstay of the Park. Carve out the Robbins Camp area and make it a safari area if Parks wants to hunt it. Just because Parks condones something does not make it ethical in my view.

Stolen Property.

As TNJohn stated Woodlands was taken from its owner around 2001. The SADC tribunal ruled the property should be returned to its rightful owner. Of course the ruling was ignored. I am sure there is more to the whole story but the fact is the owner is still not on his property. Many of us know people or hunted with people that lost farms in the takeovers. I have a friend that loss her farm back in 2001. Her husband was 5th generation Rhodesian. She sent her daughter back to our hometown in the States for several years and their life was completely uprooted. They are Harare now making the best of it. Ethically I would struggle hunting land from the takeovers because of this. Again that is my view, others ethics are different, but it is important to know where as hunt is being conducted. To me Matetsi Safari Area comprises of units one through seven. The other areas should be called by what they are: Breakfast, Woodlands, Bingwa, etc. so that people do know where they are actually hunting.

I also understand the new Zim Constitution contains language ending all claims to stolen properties by the previous owners. not sure if it is correct as I read that on Yahoo.

I am sure Martin will respond to the post, however I was in Omay North in November. we picked up some wire snares one day of a 12 day hunt and we covered a lot of territory on foot during the hunt. While poaching is an issue everywhere I have hunted including the Selous I did not find it to be rampant in the Omay.

Again much of my post is based on my ethics and personal beliefs but I believe people should have the facts in front of them to make their own decisions.

Facts Mike, facts and forth-right/full disclosure - is what each and every client deserves.tu2 Matetsi units are "Matetsi", all others should be referred to by exactly what they are.

Those that are/were willing to hunt in Hwange, as great as it sounds - are simply not concerned with anything other than profits, period. Ethics, conservation and just good ole fashioned "common sense" is obviously lacking. Taking advantage of stolen properties, and those that have lost in such - just to sell hunts, idiotic and lacking of any real professionalism, IMO.

I could be wrong, but I have yet to see any Zim outfitter that I or most would consider highly reputable - offering hunts in Hwange or stolen properties, have you?????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote