Find
Notify
Tools

How old is Craig Boddington?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

He appears to be in excellent physical shape, a non smoker and certainly not a heavy drinker.

If he hadn't used his own good instincts to get help when he did we might be reading his obituary instead.

It reminds me that my time is limited and to take nothing for granted.

Get well quick Craig and keep living well while you can.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if he had any tropical disease that may have contributed to this? I'm no Dr. but like you, I thought he seemed in good shape and am certainly surprised by this.

I imagine there are lots of new check ups being scheduled about now...and that's a good thing.

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of steve f
posted Hide Post
quote:

He was born in 1952 according to his bio in the book Where Lions Roar.

SCI
DSC
NRA
NAHC
DRSS

Posts: 93 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some heart disease risk factors are hereditary. A surprising number of very fit, relatively young people have heart attacks each year.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I thought he seemed in good shape

Compared to the average American probably. He seemed to have a small paunch on some of the TAA episodes I noticed.

Health has a whole lot to do with picking the right parents. Then it's up to you to maximize what you've been dealt with regular exercise and well thought out diet plan. Also regular annual health screenings certainly after age 40 are a must for prevention of developing disease.

Frankly I bet less than 1% do all three of these things.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
As to Craig's conditioning, I know he has a habit of at least running on the few days he's not hunting.

In the nineties I remember hunting with him for feral pigs and he took a pig way down an extremely steep hill. While dragging the pig up to the ridge top, someone from the hunting party who had waited at the top yelled, "Is that the fastest you can drag that pig!" Never being in the military I had no idea what was coming next. Craig shouted, "Double-Time!!!" and started running up this tremendous hill while dragging his side of the pig. Since I was hanging on to the other hind leg I had to run also. I was in my thirties, guiding nearly every day of the year and 15 years his junior, but I was pretty sure that run was going to kill me. As I recall Craig was barely out of breath when we reached the top.

I've also seen him backpack whole pigs and still beat the entire hunting party back to the truck.

If this heart issue was related to conditioning over 99% of the rest of us are in serious trouble.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have admired several men over the years. Never envied anybody, I am happy to be me and alive.
That said, if I could not be me, but could be anybody else in the world right now; it would be Col. Craig T Boddington.

I went to the VA Hospital this morning after reading about him a couple times, and had an EKG.
The Dr says my heart is sound, good for another sixty-one years. I wish I could pass some of that on to a man I am pleased to call my friend.

Rich

Praying for a good man...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The sad part is that many of us have problems that are related to our ancestors.

One can be as fit as a fiddle now, and drop dead tomorrow.

That is why I keep telling my friends to enjoy today, no one knows what comes tomorrow.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
In Sept 2009, I got back to the states from Zim and as soon as I could I called my wife. She said my brother-in-law had died of a heart attack while I was there. What a shock for us. He was 64 years old, skinny, a runner who had competed in the Boston Marathon and in "good health". His father died in his mid 80's, his mother is 91 in good heath, and his grandmother lived to almost 100. He was a non smoker and very light drinker. His older brother (still alive) smokes and drinks.

Go on those hunts. You don't know how long you got.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a recent annual physical and my internist always asks "family" questions. Both my parents have long passed however he always asks about my children's health.
Another comment about heart issues were that the only real conclusive evidence as to the danger factors were smoking and diabetes BUT we all know cholosteral (spelling) LD levels and family history play a major role.
Most people I knew that smoked long periods in their life all had heart issues in their post 50 years. They say your lungs can recover after 7-8 years after you quit but your arteries never completely recover.
My father passed away at 78 from a heart attack; He smoked 40-45 years of his life and had high chlosteral; not good chemistry however 78 years and they were all good years is not a bad life span.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be on this being hereditary as well.

I am reminded of a good friend of mine. He played college basketball. He exercised extensively. He dropped dead leaving the gym at 51. He had a hereditary heart issue that was easily fixed.

We should all pay attention to our health.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saeed if right on.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Stress is also a major factor contributing to early death.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
Stress is also a major factor contributing to early death.

Damn, I am stressed just reading this thread!! Eeker

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I know Craig would agree... but his situation is why we should all pay for Medjet Assist or Global Rescue! If you don't have it you really are rolling the dice! Regardless of level of fitness and/or age.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well said Saeed! I just had a friend, who is as fit as a fiddle, have a stroke at the tender age of 48. It was traced to heredity. He's alive and will fully recover, but. . . you never know!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I know Craig would agree... but his situation is why we should all pay for Medjet Assist or Global Rescue! If you don't have it you really are rolling the dice! Regardless of level of fitness and/or age.

Does anyone know if Mr. Boddington used either of these services? The information in the articles just says he stepped up his return schedule and had a horrible flight.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know if Mr. Boddington used either of these services? The information in the articles just says he stepped up his return schedule and had a horrible flight.

I am not inferring that he used the services as a result of his heart attack, but that they are potentially lifesaving if you do have a medical emergency in the bush. I believe Craig does a commercial and endorses Medjet Assist...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The sad part is that many of us have problems that are related to our ancestors.

That is why I keep telling my friends to enjoy today, no one knows what comes tomorrow.

Age has nothing to do with heart problems. Two weeks ago in my town the star athlete died from a heart problem. He scored the winning basket in the final game of the season and died 2 minutes later. This kid was the picture of health. Quarterback of the varsity team and point guard of the basketball team. Just your all american great kid. It has defastated our little town of 1000 people.
Live every day like you are dying, Because you might be.

Get well soon Craig.

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
certainly not a heavy drinker

As long as not drastically over done...drinking a little might go in the pro collumn of coronary artery disease. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
as this has already been quoted at least once, I am going to run it thru again, except at a different angle

quote:

How many times have any of us read reports of airline crashes where only one or two people lived thru it?

It is simple, it was not their time to go.

When your time is up, it does not matter how good of health you are in, You Will Go.

I have worked around other folks for over 40 years, many of them in seemingly good health, working for the day they could retire and enjoy themselves, only to fall over dead 3 days after the last time they clocked out from work.

No matter how good a physical shape we are in or how poor, if it ain't our time, we won't be going, if it is our time, Adios Amigos.

I sincerely hope that Mr. Boddington pulls thru this and is able to be back out in the field hunting.

If he had not made it somewhere to receive quality medical care, can any of us really think pof a better way to go out, being in a place we love after a successful hunt. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Lozano---Small world! I live in Allegan and that boy dying like that was a real shock!!! I read it on my homepage and then went into the body of the article found out he was right up the road from here! I sure wish they would have gone all the way, but at least it looks like Schoolcraft might do it after beating the Blackhawks!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Some heart disease risk factors are hereditary. A surprising number of very fit, relatively young people have heart attacks each year.

A sad truth that is and one my family is all too familiar with.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
a normal Resting EKG has little predictive value. the one that matters is the EKG done under stress-persantine stimulation or exercise done with the monitor attached. i have seen WAY too many normal EKG's that changed drastically when the heart rate approached max sustainable levels but were normal when the patient was sitting in a chair. at the end of the day, though, GENETICS are the secret of long lives. unless you really insist on abusing the hell out of your body and hope that genetics will cover for your stupidity.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Your are 100% right.

Hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
as this has already been quoted at least once, I am going to run it thru again, except at a different angle

quote:

How many times have any of us read reports of airline crashes where only one or two people lived thru it?

It is simple, it was not their time to go.

When your time is up, it does not matter how good of health you are in, You Will Go.

I have worked around other folks for over 40 years, many of them in seemingly good health, working for the day they could retire and enjoy themselves, only to fall over dead 3 days after the last time they clocked out from work.

No matter how good a physical shape we are in or how poor, if it ain't our time, we won't be going, if it is our time, Adios Amigos.

I sincerely hope that Mr. Boddington pulls thru this and is able to be back out in the field hunting.

If he had not made it somewhere to receive quality medical care, can any of us really think pof a better way to go out, being in a place we love after a successful hunt. JMO.

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I attended a memorial service yesterday for a close friend who recently passed away from cancer. Listening to the stories and tales of this man, and the people he interacted with was truly inspiring. We should all be so lucky as to have loved ones to share our lives with, friends to hunt with, and younger charges to mentor and start on the right path thru life.

A life well lived and enjoyed is the secret to happiness, no matter what age you are when you leave it.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine told me a long time ago that he had never heard of a person dropping dead of stress in a beer joint. He claimed stress is what killed people......so he has spent a good portion of his life drinking and dancing in joints all across Texas.
I prefer to spend mine in Africa!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with several views I have seen posted here. When your time comes, your ticket is punched, it does not mater what shape you are in or what you are doing. You are gone. That said, you can contribute to your early demise if you choose. Bottom line, live every day to the fullest, it may be your last.

Cheers,
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a convenience store yesterday to buy a lottery ticket, and was standing behind a kid getting $4.25/pack cigarettes. He proceeded to tell me what a waste of time and money that was.

My answer to him? "I'm trying to win the lottery and live forever; you're 25 and trying to kill yourself early"!

No I did not win, but got $10 for my 5 invested. Better than my money in the bank!!!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Attended a service yesterday for a friend, 56 years old, passed sitting on his couch. He did live enough to see all his children grow up and provide a couple or three grandkids each. We'll miss you buddy.

On the subject of hearts, heredity and smoking habits have more to do with heart health than anything. One you can't do much about, but you can be aware of it and minimize your risk factors. Smoking is entirely in our grasp to control, and if you have the other factors present, you are very likely to suffer from it's effects.

For a group of us that are worried about the tinest little bit of equipment on safari, it is amazing how many disregard the most important bit of all - the hunter himself!

Best wishes for speedy recovery Craig!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heart is not nourished by the blood it is pumping but has it's own blood supply delivered via coronary arteries. Sometimes overexertion taxes that supply and results in symptoms which are relieved by rest or a nitroglycerine tablet. If these are new, they are a warning that requires further investigation. Many times however there is a total or near total occlusion of a diseased artery by the sudden formation of a clot. This may or may not be associated with exertion or stress and may be the very first sign that something is wrong. Normally the fatty deposits that are the hallmark of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease (CAD) are "hidden" from the body's defense mechanisms because they occur in the wall of the artery. These plaques can spontainously rupture , exposing their contents and causing an intense and quick response, cascading primarily from the circulating cells called platelets and other clotting factors and resulting in the oxygen starvation and/or death of heart muscle known informally as a heart attack.
My point in all this is to remind readers that aspirin (ASA) markedly reduces the ability of platelets to stick together and induce a clot. It is a wise precaution for people who know they have CAD, or who know they have risk factors for CAD, or even for the excessively cautious to carry a few baby asprins with them. At the earliest possible moment after symptoms occur these can be chewed up and swallowed. ASA can be a problem for some people but for the vast majority taking such quick action can be relatively safe and life saving. This would be especially true for someone who is remote from immediate medical care.

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
A surprising number of very fit, relatively young people have heart attacks each year.
Tell me about it - I had a pretty bad heart attack aged thirty (now 40) - found out later I had an inherited choelesterol problem and also that my father had suffered angina since age 30... which he never told me!! OK now - just gotta take my meds and try and stay as fit as I can.

Hope Craig is OK.. I have been away and this is the first I'd heard of this!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Chalk me up for a heart attack too. I had one at 40 and I'm now 44. Turned out I had a perforated heart and never knew it until a clot went through the hole and caused a heart attack so severe I became a live exhibit for medical students. At the time I was chopping wood two days a week and had spent 15 years in the UK military at the sharp end. Hole now fixed and fitter that ever!

How little we know about ourselves and what is around the corner.

Best wishes to Craig.

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Part of Paramedic black humour is the saying 'Death, we all get a turn'.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend just had a heart attack at age 50. Turned out to be a clogged secondary artery. He got thoroughly examined by the best heart specialists in Miami, who told him is is in the shape of a 24 yr old. So anything can happen. I hope Craig fully recovers.

But, truth is, nobody gets out of here alive...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
One of the odder sayings concerning our time here, is that as soon as were born, we are all just circling the drain.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of "Still gonna die" by the Old Dogs.......

quote:

So you're takin' better care of your body
Becoming more aware of your body.
Responding to your body's needs.
Everything you hear and read about diets,
Nutrition and sleeping position and detoxifying your system,
And buying machines that they advertise to help you exercise.
Herbs to revitalize you if you're traumatized.
Soaps that will sanitize.
Sprays to deodorize.
Liquid to neutralize acids and pesticides.
Free weights to maximize your strength and muscle size.
Shots that will immunize.
Pills to re-energize you.

But remember that for all your pain and gain
Eventually the story ends the same...

You can quit smokin', but you're still gonna die.
Cut out cokin', but you're still gonna die.
Eliminate everything fatty or fried,
And you get real healthy, but you're still gonna die.
Stop drinkin' booze, you're still gonna die.
Stay away from cooze, you're still gonna die.
You can cut out coffee and never get high,
But you're still gonna, still gonna, still gonna die.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you guys please stop with all the doom and gloom and we are all going to die crap? Just shut up and be happy you miserable bastards.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote