Find
Notify
Tools

Russell boot questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the option of all these different boots to decide on.

Boot choices are something you don't have alot of when you wear a size 15. If it comes in a size 15, I have to make it work. Roll Eyes

I remember fondly the days I wore a size 13 and had a choice. Unfortuately my feet started to grow again 15 years ago when I was about 30.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are a good candidate for a custom fitted boot.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Russell Safari PH boots. I've worn them for a couple of years and one trip to the continent without any problems. The thing I loved about mine was absolutely no break-in time - they fit perfectly first time out. I ordered a second pair, which should be in in the next week. I opted for the same boot with the stud lacing set up and extra long laces. I believe in their product, have found their customer service to be very helpful, and kind of like the nice older gentleman who measures your feet. He is really sweet and will actually dance with you if you play cards right!

I am sure I will try some of their other models in the future and, if I have any problem I will let them know and feel confident they will stand behind them. FYI the original laces were too short (still usable) and I've ordered a longer set for my present pair and new pair.

Just my experiences. Everyone is different when it comes to shoes/boots as it depends on how hard you are on them, how your feet wear the shoe/boot, etc. No general these are good or these are bad slots.

Good luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Just took delivery on my Russell Ph Mobogo today. I have to admit it was a purchase I was and may still be concerned about.
I was measured at this years SCI the day before George Bush sr. by the same rep.
I bet he got his boots first. Roll Eyes
I had them made with the double vamp and heel counters. I also had the third half vamp installed. The third vamp is a thin suede liner, the half vamp only covers the rear half of the foot, forward to about mid arch.
They also have the brown air bob sole, green canvas uppers and the gold/ yellow leather.
When I first looked at them I thought them to be cool looking boots. I first noticed the leather is very soft, but fairly thick. I'm not sure how much more breaking in they will need.
The brown vibram is alot softer than the black and will help in walking quietly.
On my last trip I wore a pair of brown all leather Danners hikers, with the black heavy glued on vibram sole and goretex. These boots are great in Utah for elk and deer hunting, where the ground is uneven and plenty of hiking. I have never had a blister in these boots. I like them so much that I bought five pairs when Danner discontionued them. But the Danners are loud when I walk around in Africa and I noticed the noise every day. The goretex never seemed to be a problem for me.
Anyhow I put on the Russells with a Thorlo sock and laced them up. I like the way the boot feels on my feet and the toe box is roomy and comfortable, I have wide feet. I can really tell how much support the heel counters give. The triple vamp can be felt at the seam where it ends about mid arch. It's not uncomforable, but it feels like it is giving more suppport in the arch when laced up. I didn't get speed laces, never really liked them. I would avoid wearing them on asphalt and cement much as it will speed up wear on the air bob sole.
Overall I think they will prove to be a good boot for me.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
So why are you still concerned?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Mostly the discussions on the sole seperating.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon delta,

I ordered the Russell PH model which is carried by Cabela's, as I was concerned about custom fitted boots not fitting. As it was, the PH model from Cabelas ran a size large so I had to use size 9 rather than size 10 for some reason.

The insole delaminated in the heat of an elephant hunt. The issue seems to be that the glue which Russell uses to secure the insole has a low melting point, so it turns into glue pudding at elephant hunting temperatures. Russell fixed them and so far they have stayed in place.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
I wish I had the option of all these different boots to decide on.

Boot choices are something you don't have alot of when you wear a size 15. If it comes in a size 15, I have to make it work. Roll Eyes

I remember fondly the days I wore a size 13 and had a choice. Unfortuately my feet started to grow again 15 years ago when I was about 30.

I have the same problem. The Doc said is common as feet tent to spread in all directions Mad

Vasque from Redwing make a great hiking boot to size 15. Works very well in steep rocky country. I also have a pair of Courteney Selous in 14/12 that fit very well and are a good hot weather boot.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grains, have you taken them back to Africa since they were fixed? I'm wondering if they fixed the glue problem across the board or just with your boots? Perhaps I need to mention that when I order...

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote