Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info required on 495 A Square
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering having a new rifle built. I have had a look at various calibres the two that I quite like are the 495 A square and the 450 Rimless Rigby. I however would like to get into contact with Individuals that have hunted with these calibres or own them. I have heard various rumours and would appreciate any information that will assist me in my decision.

Dries

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Is the 450 rimless Rigby is the same as what we call a 450 Rigby or is it different?

If it is the same, The 450 Dakota and 450 Rigby are twins, for all practical purposes. I have taken 4 Buffalo with a 450 Dakota. I can confidently say that is a super round.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the response. Yes they are the similar. Did you have your rifle custom built and by who?

Kind regards
Dries
Dries@zululandhunters.com

Posts: 15 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Yep, I had it custom made.

I bought a CZ 550 in 458 win mag, back when they were $650 I sent it to the 'smith and gave him $200 to ream it out to a 450 Dakota.

Poof, $850 + shipping later, I had me a po' boy .450 Dakota!

If I had it to do over, I would make a 450 Rigby, simply because the Rigby name has some nostalgia, and, like the Dakota, I also can't afford a Rigby. hillbilly

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Dries, PM me your telephone number, I am happy to phone you and discuss the .450 Rigby with you.
BTW, one of my PH's started to use a 500 A square this year, while I have used my .450 Rigby since the turn of the century.... (always wanted to say that!)
You might have read it when it first appeared, but here is a link to the article I wrote for Magnum on the .450 Rigby.
http://www.huntingsafaris.net/pdf/reloadingtherigby450rimless.pdf

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would not a properly built .458 LOTT do just
as well for the intended purpose as a a 450
Rigby/Dakota, {using components that are far
more available, and with brass that is clearly
less costly}?

.495 A-Square is a distinct step up in power.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hello Big 5,

You can shoot a 500 grain bullet at a pretty good speed from a 450 Rigby at much lower pressures than from a 458 Lott.

Yes, there may be little practical difference, but the large case of the Rigby/Dakota offers more options for velocity.

Someone explained to me once that" You can run a small engine at top rpm and achieve the same horsepower as a larger engine at a moderate and more conservative rpm."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Hello Big 5,

You can shoot a 500 grain bullet at a pretty good speed from
a 450 Rigby at much lower pressures than from a 458 Lott.

Yes, there may be little practical difference, but the large
case of the Rigby/Dakota offers more options for velocity.

Someone explained to me once that" You can run a small engine
at top rpm and achieve the same horsepower as a larger engine
at a moderate and more conservative rpm."

All TRUE. I've just never heard of any man who's said "for a .458 caliber the LOTT failed to cut it"...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
All TRUE. I've just never heard of any man who's said "for a .458 caliber the LOTT failed to cut it"...

Also true! Smiler

posted Hide Post
All the submissions have merit. Being a PH one is exposed to numerous variations and opinions. I do all my own reloading so the ammunition is not a problem. I appreciate the comment. I have looked at numerous designs and the pro's and con's of each. I am looking for something different hence the two calibres stated. I have been able to obtain valuable information on the 450 Rigby. I am still interested in the 495 A squared but need actual field experience information.
Dries

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that no one has come forward with field experiences with the .495, but with factory ballistics of a 570 grain slug @2400+fps, it doesn't seem to lag too far behind it's slightly longer cased bretheren (500 A-Square and 510 Wells). I would tend to think field performance would tend to mirror that of the two previously mentioned rounds as well as the 500 Jeffrey.

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One factor to consider is that the .500 A-Square is easier to reload than the .495. There's also more reloading data available.

Just a thought

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
450 rigby or rimless rigby is the same round. Invented in 1996, and you can buy a CZ in it

495 A2 is the same capacity as my 500 AR, except it's longer. about 130 grains of h2o capacity for both, the AR has less taper.

However, the 458 Lott, in a bedded and bolted CZ, is about the perfect DGR for all around use
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote