THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia: Eyewitness testifies about Hunter's gunshot death

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia: Eyewitness testifies about Hunter's gunshot death
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Eyewitness Testifies About Hunter's Gunshot Death
Werner Menges
22 October 2009

THE prosecution this week closed its case against the five remaining suspects on trial in the High Court in Windhoek in connection with the alleged murder of professional hunter Daniel van Vuuren on the road between Outjo and Kamanjab near the end of 2006.

State advocate Lourens Campher on Tuesday closed the prosecution's case against the five men facing charges in connection with Van Vuuren's gunshot death, after presenting evidence against the five over the course of the past three and a half weeks.

With the close of the State's case, Outjo resident Willem Peter (38), who is the second accused in the case, started giving evidence in his own defence. He is set to continue facing cross-examination from Campher for a second day when the trial continues today.

Peter is on trial with four co-accused: Gert Nuxabeb (25), Jafet Nuxabeb (21), John Khamuxab (20) and Johannes Heiki (67).

The suspect who was set to be the first accused in the case, Immanuel Isako, is not in the dock before Judge Louis Muller. Isako died in custody on May 21 this year. He was 35 years old.

Isako is alleged to have fired the shot that killed Van Vuuren (43) during the evening of December 6 to 7 2006.

At the start of their trial, all of the remaining five suspects pleaded not guilty to eight charges, including counts of murder, stock theft, theft, the illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and defeating the course of justice.

Some of the last evidence that Judge Muller heard in the prosecution's case included testimony from an alleged eyewitness who claimed to have seen Isako shooting Van Vuuren.

Reinholdt Sixub testified that he accompanied Isako and all the other accused, except for Heiki, when they drove with Isako's bakkie in the direction of Kamanjab on the Outjo-Kamanjab main road on the evening in question.

They stopped at one point, and there Isako shot a cow in a camp next to the road, Sixub said.

He said he, Peter, Khamuxab and Gert and Jafet Nuxabeb loaded the poached animal onto the back of Isako's bakkie.

After they had driven off, they encountered another vehicle and stopped. Van Vuuren stopped at the same spot.

SHOOTING RELIVED

Sixub claimed that at that point, having seen that Van Vuuren was about to stop, Isako had remarked to Peter: "This white man is against me, he has already made several cases against me, and this time I will kill him."

Isako and Van Vuuren started talking to each other, and he heard Isako telling Van Vuuren, who asked why he had turned around his vehicle twice, that he had bumped a kudu, Sixub told the Judge.

When Van Vuuren went to look at the back of the bakkie and saw that it was a cow and not a kudu that had been loaded onto the vehicle, he said, in Afrikaans, "never mind", and turned to walk back to his own bakkie, Sixub related.

He said at that point Isako asked Peter for his gun, but Peter instead took Sixub's younger cousin, who was also with the group, and ran away.

"The white man was walking away to his car, and it was then that Isako shot him," Sixub testified.

After the shot had been fired, Van Vuuren fell to his knees on the tar road.

Isako then reloaded his rifle, Sixub said. He related that Van Vuuren asked Isako why he was reloading the gun, since he had already shot him. Isako then tried to fire a second shot at Van Vuuren, but it failed to go off.

By then, Van Vuuren had already been shot through the pelvis. That wound turned out to be fatal.

Sixub testified that Isako got Khamuxab and Jafet Nuxabeb to help him carry the wounded Van Vuuren off the road. From the side of the road, where Van Vuuren was found dead in the grass the next morning, he could hear Van Vuuren being beaten as well, Sixub claimed.

He however did not see that assault, he said.

In his own testimony Peter also told the court that Isako tried to shoot Van Vuuren a second time.

He said he felt "a bit of a shiver" when he heard Isako reloading his gun after he had fired the first shot at Van Vuuren.

Van Vuuren was on his knees on the road when Isako approached him with his rifle, Peter said: "He then goes and he points the gun between the eyes of (Van Vuuren). We all remain silent then. We only heard the gun making a (clicking) sound."

Sixub told the judge that he and the others at the scene were shocked and afraid of Isako at that point.

"We all feared the man because he had a gun with him," he said. "All of us were very much shocked when the white man was shot."

Defence lawyer Boris Isaacks is representing Peter and all of the other accused, except for Heiki, who is represented by Lucia Hamutenya.

Heiki, who is accused of having hidden stolen items at the farm where he was employed by Isako, is the only one of the accused to be free on bail.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the penalty for murder there?

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
He was a nice guy, a good PH, and quite the character. Very sad.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rotten, bloody shame.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
What's the penalty for murder there?

I know what the penalty SHOULD be in this case for the bastards on trial.. A high powered rifle shot through the pelvis, with a severe beat down following the shot..

I'm sure there'd be no shortage of willing participants to partake.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hell I'll load my own ammo, furnish my own rifle, and pay my own way over there to shoot the bastards! Sorry sons of bitches!
..................... Mad

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hell I'll load my own ammo, furnish my own rifle, and pay my own way over there to shoot the bastards! Sorry sons of bitches!

Don't sugar coat it, Mac. Tell us how you really feel!

In this case I gotta agree with you.

Rich Elliottt

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Know the Family well, our thoughts are with them. It's realy sad to loose someone in our community and Danie will be remembered.
Frowner
Hopefully they all get what they deserve.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
Know the Family well, our thoughts are with them. It's realy sad to loose someone in our community and Danie will be remembered.
Frowner

I was wondering if this was the case that you were telling me about.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac I think I like your form of sentencing guidelines.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Crime will not decrease until the cost of being a criminal increases; so always go well heeled and shoot straight.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was Daniel the PH murdered while working for Gunther Heimstadt at Holstien Ranch?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
Frowner

I was wondering if this was the case that you were telling me about.

Yes, dla69
It happend close to Tualuka and his parents live two farms from us.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
Was Daniel the PH murdered while working for Gunther Heimstadt at Holstien Ranch?

Yes

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought so. Gunther was here (in the states) when it happened, and had to cut his trip short to return to the ranch. I hunted with Gunther in '03, but this was before Daniel came to work for him.

It's just too damn bad the SOB who pulled trigger escaped justice by dying in custody. The article did not say what he died of, but I would assume it was Aids.

What is the punishment for murder in Namibia?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote