New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The Congo is open for hunting
 Login/Join

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Hey, don't shoot the messenger here! I'm just relaying information.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I just received an e-mail extra from The Hunt Report that the Congo is now open for hunting. Don Causey is there now with 2 other hunters on an exploratory hunt. The outfitter is George Angelides.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but which Congo?

Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire)

or

Republic of the Congo

Thanks,

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Democratic Republic of Congo. Sorry-my bad.

one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a dick, but who would go with a gun in Congo (home to the greatest civil war in africa, with 6 MILLION deads and counting)? The rebels (the term 'rebel' by definition depends on the day, sometimes it's the army, sometimes it's Rwanda militias, and sometimes it's white mercenaries) are shooting at the UN, yes, read carefully: THE UN ... that's worst than Zim, for sure!

But I think that the pockets of 'resistance' are located in the North-East, near Uganda/Rwanda.

If you're going, I'll still be jealous

Posts: 91 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

shooting at the UN, yes, read carefully: THE UN ...

You say that, like it's a bad thing?

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
I'm playing with you guys, no pun intended

Sorry if it came out any other way

... but I would still be damn jealous if you did that trip (I would really love to hunt Congo).

Posts: 91 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

(I would really love to hunt Congo).

Wow! I would also love to hunt Congo, but I could find no listing in the SCI record books?

Are Congo like Bongo but from the north? It really sounds exciting!

Good luck with them

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Okay... of an inquisitive nature, because I just honestly don't know... what's worth hunting (of an animal nature) in the Congo? What's there... and how do members of such-and-such species compare to all the other "usual" countries?

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent quite some time talking to one of Angelides associates at Dallas and they seemed very positive about the hunting. The Congo has rain forest and savannah areas similar to Cameroon. Some animals to hunt are bongo, yellow back duiker, forest buffalo and various other species in other areas roan I was told are very abundant.

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roan, forest buffalo and roan on the same trip. Almost enough to get me off to that miserable swamp.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

what's worth hunting (of an animal nature) in the Congo?

I hear the cannibals (usually wearing Congo army uniforms) are good hunting. Or is it they hunt the pygmies there?

Robber Bob has some goons there too or used to have, protecting "his" diamond mine interests.

ErikD raised a post on hunting there a while back too.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
An article on the conflict in the DRC.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
T. Carr, good link.

Sad indeed

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just heard about an attempted coup d'etat there this morning!!
But really, look at the size of the place. I am sure that once you leave the cess pit of the city, the jungle must be an amazing place. Wasn't there a prospective list of fees posted here a while ago? It was even more expensive than Tanzania or CAR! Still, it is good that new countries are becoming available to hunters.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote