Tools

Would you book a hunt to Cameroon
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
This thread reminds me of when there was that mall shooting in Nairobi and I had family calling to see if I was OK.....even though I live in Egypt.

Exactly what it's like to live in Alaska with relatives watching the news in the lower 48.

"Did you feel the Earthquake?"

Ah, that was in Attu, it would be like feeling an earthquake in California when you live in New York.

Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Thanks for all the info. I have a chance to go with a ph friend of mine from SA. He will be hunting to and knows the drill. I am pretty sure SA flies there from Joe-burg now. Unless I see it is in Cam. Think I will give it a whirle. Don't know if I would get the chance again.

Go for it. I can't believe how chicken hearted some people in here are.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Thanks for all the info. I have a chance to go with a ph friend of mine from SA. He will be hunting to and knows the drill. I am pretty sure SA flies there from Joe-burg now. Unless I see it is in Cam. Think I will give it a whirle. Don't know if I would get the chance again.

I'm certain this comment was aimed at myself.

Chicken hearted? Try hauling your fat ass up and down the brooks range for 10 days with everything on your back. Or how about Sudanese elephant poachers in CAR. Or accidentally crossing into Congo and being held at gunpoint for 12 hours. Or try riding a bicycle from Canada to Mexico, bivied at night alone and unarmed in Grizzly country. (I was unable to finish the race)

You have no clue Gatogorda.

Here's a comment from Tarzan, AKA Jdollar.

looks like fun but i am not sure i would be sitting in waist deep water in a river with piranhas! if you put together a group AR trip next year, i would definitely be interested.

This was from a fishing report I wrote.

He fears harmless Pirahna's but has no fear of Ebloa, and you have the balls to call me chicken hearted?

The glaring hypocrisy of some people here is amazing. Perhaps you should go have a look in the mirror, prior to judging others, whom take their medical safety and that of others more seriously than casually telling everyone what a badass you are and how chicken hearted those with trepidation are.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleanliness is very important.If any place, especially a place that gets tourists,can`t stay clean then it is not very inviting.Not just cleanliness but secure too-at least to a certain extent.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:

Chicken hearted? Try hauling your fat ass up and down the brooks range for 10 days with everything on your back. Or how about Sudanese elephant poachers in CAR. Or accidentally crossing into Congo and being held at gunpoint for 12 hours. Or try riding a bicycle from Canada to Mexico, bivied at night alone and unarmed in Grizzly country. (I was unable to finish the race)

looks like fun but i am not sure i would be sitting in waist deep water in a river with piranhas! if you put together a group AR trip next year, i would definitely be interested.

He fears harmless Pirahna's but has no fear of Ebloa, and you have the balls to call me chicken hearted?

The glaring hypocrisy of some people here is amazing. Perhaps you should go have a look in the mirror, prior to judging others, whom take their medical safety and that of others more seriously than casually telling everyone what a badass you are and how chicken hearted those with trepidation are.

Well, damn, I guess getting lost and falling off a bike makes you are a REAL bad ass, chicken heart.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I didn't fall off a bike, I had a race ending injury. Point being, probably poorly made, You have no clue as to the adventurous nature of anyone on this forum, except those you know personally.

If you feel so strongly West Africa is safe, I certainly won't try and stop you or anyone else. It is simply my opinion, the risk/reward just isn't there.

I have been there enough to know how the "indigenous" population moves around with impunity, how inefficient a quarantine would be there. There is virtually no way to contain an outbreak there.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

not sure what a fishing report comment i made has to do with hunting in Cameroon, but if you look at a globe, you will see that there are 5 countries located between Cameroon and the out break area( Nigeria, Benin, Ghana,Togo, and Ivory Coast lie in between)...i would much more concerned about Boko Haram operating on the northern Nigerian/Cameroon border on the west and the war between Christian and Muslim militias on the eastern border with CAR. where we hunted, we were only maybe 150 miles from Nigeria and 75 miles, as the crow flies, from CAR. i was really interested in Steve's fishing trip to Brazil but it falls during the 2 weeks i have allocated for the DSC Convention and a week afterward to visit my family. and yes, with the limited knowledge i have, i would not want to swim with piranhas.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
This thread reminds me of when there was that mall shooting in Nairobi and I had family calling to see if I was OK.....even though I live in Egypt.

Exactly what it's like to live in Alaska with relatives watching the news in the lower 48.

"Did you feel the Earthquake?"

Ah, that was in Attu, it would be like feeling an earthquake in California when you live in New York.

Big Grin

Frosbite,

sometimes we felt Alaskan earthquakes and that is making the news over here ... lol

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No.

I won't be going there anytime soon.

Some might say I am chicken.

Be that as it may. I go on safari to enjoy myself, not to court unnecessary danger.

I consider myself very lucky to have survive unscathed until now. Especially after having been involved in some utterly stupid and very dangerous episodes in my younger life.

I have a family who I would like to share my old age with.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White hunters of the past had to dodge German patrols,risk themselves & their native porters/helpers being slaughtered by waring rival tribes,
risk not being able to seek good medical treatment in event of mishap,do without modern communication, etc.

My how soft the modern day white hunter has become.... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
a good link to follow about relative risk. pay particular attention to the info contained in the quote from Nature magazine and even more attention to the flow diagram below it......
http://www.boston.com/health/2...RqspqtdoL/story.html

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
White hunters of the past had to dodge German patrols,risk themselves & their native porters/helpers being slaughtered by waring rival tribes,
risk not being able to seek good medical treatment in event of mishap,do without modern communication, etc.

My how soft the modern day white hunter has become.... Big Grin

how would you know??? you have NEVER been to Africa donttroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar,
when you say you have someone on ignore, why cant you keep your word?

why do you keep flip -flopping like an undecided child??

It really does not take that much to man of ones word, but its evident you are not capable.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
When i need a good laugh, i open your posts. they are sure to provide some comic relief rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar,
What do you make of careless & wreckless hunters that shoot their PH?
you know, the celebrity ones you enjoy sucking up to....

Why worry about whats waiting for a person in Cameroon, when the client like above,
is likely to be the most dangerous volatile element in the whole safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you have Emirates and British Airways not flying to these countries (seirra leone. liberia). .

My fear is your are out hunting in the bush and you come back and find out the country is under a no fly zone. Getting back home will be a mess. Hopefully, the US embassy will get you out - eventually.

I was in Hong Kong in April 2009 when there were the H1N1 issues in the US and Mexico. If you had a Mexican passport you would have been quarantined even if you were transiting. I was stopped going to Macau by local authorities and this is a super tourist friendly place. They eventually let me in but it took a good 3 hrs at the ferry terminal. Anyone with a US passport was suspect.

If you flying to West Africa you are transiting via some place if you are coming from the US. You have an additional layer of hold up along the way - the airline, the country your transiting ect before you can get out.

Better be a good deal for one to hunt West Africa and if the good deal is there cause French hunters have cancelled and are staying home - you are the patsy on that poker table.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My advise is avoid West Africa, Zimbabwe and Tanzania and seriously consider Zambia as your next destination,

Just my 2 cents.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
yuck

Mike

Posts: 21220 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My advise is avoid West Africa, Zimbabwe and Tanzania and seriously consider Zambia as your next destination,

There's Andrew with some sage advice! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

There's Andrew with some sage advice! :-)

I followed it to Alaska.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a month to go and we'll be staring at Mt McKinley every morning when we get up!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, a month to go and we'll be staring at Mt McKinley every morning when we get up!

Statistically 1 in 7 days if you're lucky. Hope you didn't charge Mike extra for the "Denali Package" there Darth Blaser. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Statistically 1 in 7 days if you're lucky. Hope you didn't charge Mike extra for the "Denali Package" there Darth Blaser. sofa

What you mean - it is not bright and sunny everyday in Alaska !!!!!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
like Jim said, about 1 in 7 days- lot less down in the SE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Biebs - you told me I could hunt in shorts !!!!

I hate the cold and the rain.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

The force is weak in this one Darth Blaser.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

you can- undershorts. covered in long insulated rain pants rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
quote:
I go to west africa several times each year, will also continue to do so.

Hi Anton,
I used to fly to Cabo almost every month for fishing. A cheap and short 1:45 flight from Phoenix.

I haven't gone since the cartels have made Mexico "less than desirable."

Now, I fly over Mexico going to South America and will continue to hunt Africa, yearly. I will just fly over West Africa getting to East Africa.

I hear you Steve, but as with everything else you need to calculate the risks. For you getting Ebola in Africa and die, I can count 1000 things that probably is not more deadlier but you are more likely to die from it Smiler Did that come out right haha

Im actually in a slow process of making plans of driving from Sweden to Burkina with my Defender.

No worries then. A Landrover will never make it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I go to west africa several times each year, will also continue to do so.

Hi Anton,
I used to fly to Cabo almost every month for rotflmo fishing. A cheap and short 1:45 flight from Phoenix.

I haven't gone since the cartels have made Mexico "less than desirable."

Now, I fly over Mexico going to South America and will continue to hunt Africa, yearly. I will just fly over West Africa getting to East Africa.

I hear you Steve, but as with everything else you need to calculate the risks. For you getting Ebola in Africa and die, I can count 1000 things that probably is not more deadlier but you are more likely to die from it Smiler Did that come out right haha

Im actually in a slow process of making plans of driving from Sweden to Burkina with my Defender.

No worries then. A Landrover will never make it.

rotflmo

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Good thing is all the Ministers of health are in South Africa for a conference as a result of the ebola outbreak.

Never let an opportunity pass you by for escaping from your own problems...

I wonder where ours went to?

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEVER FEAR GUYS FROM AFRICA. NOBAMA JUST ANNOUNCED A PLAN FOR AFRICA AT THE SUMMIT.
GOD HELP YOU NOW...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
We keep hearing that this strain of ebola is not really all that contagious. What I would like to know is if that is the case why are healthcare workers, professionals using the best safety gear, catching it? If anyone would know the precautions that should be taken to prevent infection I would think it would be Western healthcare workers yet they are still being infected. Perhaps it is airborne and we are not being told the entire truth. Governments wouldn't lie would they? It has proven the ability to mutate into an airborne pathogen in the past, at least to make the jump from swine to primates. Not a lot of genetic difference between a monkey and a human. No way would I travel to West Africa right now anymore than I would want to take a stroll in Tikrit.

http://healthmap.org/site/dise...goes-airborne-112112

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still wanna go to Cameroon?

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-di...break-144528753.html

http://www.voanews.com/content...nigeria/2410738.html

Ebola and Cholera. Heck book my ticket!!! Somebody took me to task for the comment, "filthy and unsanitary" rotflmo

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There was a cholera outbreak in Zim several years ago too. I never heard of any hunter having any issues. You are far more likely to have an issue from malaria or trypanosomiasis. The manner in which ebola is spread makes transmission to a visiting hunter unlikely to in my view. I had dinner with someone that works at Exxon/Mobil day before yesterday. Exxon/Mobil is still sending employees to Nigeria and have not closed the country to travel. Each person has to make his own decision, but in my view you are far more likely to contract some other tropical disease in Cameroon than you are ebola or cholera, and if the fear of tropical disease will keep you at home, forget about hunting in Africa.

Mike

Posts: 21220 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
As someone who works in West Africa and travels there frequently, and has several hundred staff working in West Africa, I might add that unless you are in an outbreak area (maps are available) or decide to visit a hospital where Ebola victims are being treated, your risks are almost zero at the present time. Avoid eating bush meat, which by the way is how most of the outbreaks start, then spreading because of the cultural behaviour related to the handling of sick and dead relatives (not because you are flying economy class on Cameroon Airlines).

I would also add that contracting malaria remains a much higher risk, has been killing and debilitating for years and continues to kill far more people than Ebola probably ever will.

Perhaps we've gotten over our fear of malaria? I contracted a strain of typhoid when I lived in Bouar in the Central African Republic (nearly killed me), hepatitis when I lived in Burkina Faso and have had so many parasites that a minor case of diarrhea seems to be a normal state.

The disease is real but the panic is not justified. The absence of limes for gin and tonics has a higher place in my preoccupations concerning African travel.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
As someone who works in West Africa and travels there frequently, and has several hundred staff working in West Africa, I might add that unless you are in an outbreak area (maps are available) or decide to visit a hospital where Ebola victims are being treated, your risks are almost zero at the present time. Avoid eating bush meat, which by the way is how most of the outbreaks start, then spreading because of the cultural behaviour related to the handling of sick and dead relatives (not because you are flying economy class on Cameroon Airlines).

I would also add that contracting malaria remains a much higher risk, has been killing and debilitating for years and continues to kill far more people than Ebola probably ever will.

Perhaps we've gotten over our fear of malaria? I contracted a strain of typhoid when I lived in Bouar in the Central African Republic (nearly killed me), hepatitis when I lived in Burkina Faso and have had so many parasites that a minor case of diarrhea seems to be a normal state.

The disease is real but the panic is not justified. The absence of limes for gin and tonics has a higher place in my preoccupations concerning African travel.

I agree with both your comments. Malaria precautions keep you pretty safe from that. There are no precautions for Ebola, other than staying away from an outbreak area.

And Mike, I've hunted West Africa, not in fear of health but in fear of the LRA. They were busy kidnaping folks when I was there 60K from camp.

I will just fly over West Africa en-route to East Africa till things calm down.

I really don't think not wanting to go somewhere constitutes a "panic."

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a really bad disease that is almost always fatal (unless you are an American doctor or nurse working for a charity that can divert $2 million from their charitable pursuits to save your a$$).

However, at last count, 1,200 people have died in a region with tens of millions of people. Sounds like a bad flu season in the US.

This disease cannot be transmitted by airborne means. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt where I wanted to hunt, but I wouldn't share my chewing tobacco, a cigarette or my water bottle with my tracker. I wouldn't join in the communal lunch either (but that always made me a little queasy anyway and I never liked those damned little fish).

Precautions taken. I'd be good to go. But then that's pretty easy to say -- I favour East Africa.

Posts: 10023 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Perhaps one of you medical professionals can answer a question: is it possible for the Ebola virus to mutate and become airborne transmissible? Or just more easily transmitted? Or deadlier?

Sorry, more than one question, but they occurred to me as I was typing.
Thanks

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think as Wink said your chances of contracting malaria are far greater than getting Ebola. In fact each time we go to Africa we are taking a chance of getting malaria. It may not be a big chance but definitely there. For me if I could afford a bongo hunt right now I'd be in Cameroon in a heartbeat and I would not be worrying about Ebola in the slightest.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
If you go, avoid bushmeat, sick folks coughing and crapping blood, funerals, rubbing on dead people, and witch doctors.

Follow the above, and you will likely be okay.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote