New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Rifles?
 Login/Join

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
My wife and I are planning to go on an African plains game hunt in the next 3 to 5 years and I would like to know what rifles to take.

My wife shoots my .30-06 exclusively, although I plan on buying her either a Winchester XTR or a CZ550 in 6.5x55 in the near future. I would like to use my .25-06 Classic, but realize it's a little small for some of the larger game. I also have a couple .280s and a 7mm Rem. (If I get her the Swede, I'll probably take the -06)

Money is a little tight, but I have been thinking of getting a CZ550 Safari in .375 and putting on a 1-4 or 1.5-6 Leopold and getting a new stock for it.

Do I really need a .375?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are just shooting plainsgame your 30/06 with premium bullets should be fine but then so should your 7mm Rem Mag with heavy premium bullets. If I were going to buy a rifle for plainsgame only it would probably be .338 WinMag but if you think you might like to try buff or other dangerous game at some point in the future then a .375 is probably the way to go...just use 260gr bullets for plainsgame. The exception I can think of is eland...a very big antelope...that I would like a bit more than a 7mm or 30/06 for unless you really pick your shots.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which factory .375 do people like, i.e., right out of the box?

I've shot the Winchester (a few years old, no cheekpiece) but no experience with the Ruger, CZ, etc.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ol Sarge, I think if it were me, I would buy a 375 H&H, and use full size bullets, of 300 gr premium bullets. You can use the 375 and your wife can use the 30-06. The 375 H&H with a 300 gr bullet has a trejectory that is identical to the 30-06 with a 180 gr bullet. So, it is not difficult to know where to hold on any shot if you know the trejectory of either! In the event you do decide to take a Buffalo, you are all set, and the 375 H&H is a comforting thing to have for the larger plains game, like Eland, or if you acidently get mixed up with lions, or buffalo, though not hunting them, you never know. The lion, or Buff does not know you mean him no harm.

The 375 H&H and a 30-06 is a fine combination for a safari for one hunter, and if two can shoot at least one of them it is great for two as well!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm in agreement with Mac. A .30-06 teamed with a .375 H&H would be a very tough team to beat. These are shootable, yet potent calibers that'll do just about everything well. You and your wife can trade-off using these rifles at will, or for any given task at hand.

I'd get a Model 70 Featherweight for the .30-06, and a Model 70 Super Express for the .375. The actions, bolt movement, and safety will be identical. You can even have a good gunsmith adjust the triggers exactly the same for both rifles. How could you go wrong?

Allen

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 06-06-2001).]

posted Hide Post
Depending upon the country hunted, you may or may not encounter lions and/or buffalo. In RSA or Zimbabwe, which are the favorite destinations for plains game, encounters with the above mentioned species are very rare, usually nonexistant. If you're hunting on a true concession area things are different.
That said, if all you will be hunting is the average bag of plains game I'd not bother with a 375. Your 7mm mag and 30/06 will work just great. Use premium, heavy for caliber bullets and practice your shooting!

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 06-06-2001).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ol' Sarge,

Like John has said, for plains game, there is really no need for the 375.

I would take the 30-06 and the 280 or 7mm Remington magnum.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote