Find
Notify
Tools

getting my zebra home?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a zebra being tanned in SA.

A hunting buddy has paid over $1000k just to get one wet hide and horns home. Is there a cheaper way to get a tanned hide home (no skull or horns)? Why can't the Taxidermist ship this tanned hide UPS with all the correct paper work?

thanks for your help,

chronic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds a bit excessive. I have a zebra, kudu and wildebeest hides being tanned with the zebra backed for a rug and European mounts on the kudu and wildebeest. Taxidermy on all of them is a little over $1500.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it that you mean the shipping charges back to the States. If so ask your taxidermist to get at least three bids from shippers. I have saved quite a few bucks this way.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a proposal, assuming the following: its properly tanned, there is a legit taxidermist receipt, and you plan another (hunting) visit to RSA. Fold it up and have it covered with plastic film like they do luggage, and then bring it back in your suitase. If declaring it, produce the receipt.

Posts: 59 | Location: New England | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Ask Santa to throw it on the back of his sledge?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That $1000 is shipping SA to importer warehouse, warehouse to USA taxidermist, pack and dip, crate, import fees, taxes, etc………….

chronic

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's tanned (finished taxidermy) I think you can get around the normal process. For I don't think you have to mess with dept of agric although dept of fish and game still need to bless anything of this sort.

I have brought tanned hides, a Euro mount, even a fake ivory tusk (!) back on the plane as checked and even hand baggage. Just declare it when you come thru customs. Somehow we skipped fish and game this way. I once had a tanned goat skin shipped thru the regular mail from Australia and that made it but it smelled so bad (goat pee) that I threw it out.

I don't see why FEDEX (or DHL) would not work unless they have specific prohibitions on this class of goods. Declare it as a rug and see if that works. Mind you, these services are not cheap on international shipments.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There should be no "dip" on a tanned hide, nor the need for disinfected wood crate. You should pay only taxidermy fee and shipping (which could be 3 separate fees). You can avoid customs brokerage by clearing it yourself, assuming you live within driving distance of the port of entry. Search AR for the correct procedure to DIY customs clearance.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I shipped a tanned full Giraffe hide to DFW. Cost was something like $175. It arrived in a very heavy black plastic bag. Sufficient enough, I guess.

Cleared it with F&W, Customs etc.

It's not rocket science, but it is time consuming and intimidating if you have never done it before. Just ask everyone along the way. "What do I do next?"

Good luck.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackalhunter:
Here is a proposal, assuming the following: its properly tanned, there is a legit taxidermist receipt, and you plan another (hunting) visit to RSA. Fold it up and have it covered with plastic film like they do luggage, and then bring it back in your suitase. If declaring it, produce the receipt.

"Hello Customs officer. I bought this in the JoBerg Airport"

Good day sir.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The "good old days".

In 2008 I had a zebra rug, 4 Euro mounts and a shoulder mount of a steenbok shipped from Namibia for $400.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't know today but I only have 3 trophies,a set of Elephant tusks that cost over a $1000 to ship and 2 Zebra rugs. One Zebra rug was included in a friends shipment so have no idea what it cost,the other was a gift from a PH friend and it was delivered to my door by the postman wrapped in several plies of heavy brown paper. No customs no paper work just the package. But that was about6 or 7 years ago.The rugs were finished with felt backing.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chronic,

In answer to your question, yes, your taxidermist should be able to ship it to you via UPS, FedEx or DHL if he's a good guy. Tell him to just fold it, roll it and put it in a reasonable size cardboard box with a little bit of padding for protection, with the receipt and any other paperwork. Ask him to take it to Fedex, UPS or DHL and ship it himself. There is no dip, pack or crating fee, and there is NO need for him to get a shipper involved for this, which is just another unnecessary added expense. He can email you with the cost of the Fedex, UPS or DHL shipping, and you can wire him the money via Western Union. It should be just that simple.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote