Notify
Tools

Namibia Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayRay:
Kudubull, first of all Canuck didn't ask for your opinion and he didn't post the picture of his mount to this thread, another member did. You belittled his kudu and tried to degrade his hunt further by how he choice to represent it.

Second, I was referring to your status with the hunting community. I never intended to imply you could advance your career with a shoulder mount. Roll Eyes

I fully admit my involvement in this thread has been nonproductive and my post to you could have been better stated (although it wasn't half as out of line as your response). thumbdown

However, I felt this was unfair to Canuck, he didn't ask for any of this crap! He put that picture up in an earlier thread where he announced that his trophies just arrived and he was pleased with the results. Then he was thrown in a position here forced to justify his decision, which he done very well btw.

RAYRAY
You are right about one thing, you could have done better. I am sure if Canuck needs you to defend his hunt he would ask you to. I dont know how you think I degraded his hunt. It was my opinion that the first pic was done poorly and the second was better.If you dont like that...sorry!

And lastly, My status in the hunting community?...What an insult!!!!! I hunt because I love it and give very much back to the sport I love...not to achieve a STATUS!!!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
Canuck didn't ask for your opinion and he didn't post the picture of his mount to this thread, another member did. You belittled his kudu and tried to degrade his hunt further by how he choice to represent it.

RayRay, I appreciate your comments, as that was how I took it as well.

Kudubull, my response to you was just to further clarify my point of view. We see things differently, but I don't have any issue with that. I just believe that no-one should have an issue with mine either and wanted to articulate that. To each his own brother. Enjoy things your way, I'll enjoy things my way and it shouldn't be an issue to anyone.

Cheers men,
Canuck

Canuck
I agree 100% with you. I dont try to push my hunting views on anyone except for "PETA folks". We both have a passion for hunting and that is what is important to me. Hope you enjoy the Selous. I am off on the 27th as well to MK1 block.

Cheers right back at you!

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my only option was to get my taxidermy work done in Africa, that is no unfinished trophies could be shipped to the US, there would be no African species in my trophy room.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spinedoc betcha you never thought all this would happen.You are doing the right thing by asking questions and I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I hope though you would consider bringing your trohies back here to the USA to be mounted or what ever you wish to do to them.
I'm a taxidermist with 34 years experience so after reading this thread please don't hold that against me. To all of those that have replied to this thread that are not taxidermists please understand that we as taxidermists see our mounts and others peoples mounts with a different eye than most.Some of us may comment out loud our thoughts on the quality of work we see and some of us keep our thoughts to ourselves. Some of us that desire to take our taxidermy work to the highest level are very passionate about it. We see the details that are the good the bad and the ugly that a lot of people don't.
What a hunter does with his or her trophies is nobody's business. I'm biased when I say this but I hope that hunters here in the USA that are having some form of taxidermy done will bring them back to let us USA taxidermists do the work for you. But again its your trophies.Thats the bottom line.

As far as pricing goes you the client are paying mostly for labor. From what I have been told most of the staffs at some of taxidermy studios in Africa make about 5 dollars a day which allows them to charge less than most USA taxidermists but some of the prices I have seen they charge more than I do on some things. The prices some charge in Africa looks low priced up front but when you factor in shipping your mounts can end up costing you more than they would here in the USA.
I'm in the process of building my own website and I have been researching very hard the websites of other taxidermists from around the world. The prices vary as greatly as quality and paying a big price does not necessarily mean you will get a better job or paying a low price means you will get a bad job.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally an honest response to the original question.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trophies will be shipping out of Windhoek the first part of September after I get back from a caribou hunt. Hopefully, they will be of reasonable quality. Part of my reason for choosing to have them done in Namibia was the taxidermist I met in the airport in Atlanta. He and his friends were going to SA. He was to the point of being rude, what began as a friendly conversation turned into him getting a major attitude. I purchase goods and services daily, I try to become an educated buyer, but like most people I don't enjoy dealing with rude people. Unfortunately, several of the taxidermists I spoke with locally, some of which I know personally were not so polite when I asked them the difference in quality. For the guys that explained the differences on the thread, thanks...for those that reacted instead of educating, well, that is why the business stayed overseas. Being an artist doesn't make you a businessman, but don't expect people to spend there money where it isn't appreciated or where they get treated rudely. I'm probably more sensative than some, mainly because I deal with it on a larger scale. I just wish that some US owned and operated businesses would remember what a customer is to their business. Hopefully I don't get poor workmanship, good would suffice in my case. Either way, the money has been paid and I'm anxious to see them. Maybe I could post on another thread and someone would be willing to educate others. I'll promise to respect professional opinion without coming unglued at the seams. What do you think?

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 20 August 2006 11:18
Finally an honest response to the original question.

Actually the original question was about experiences with a named taxidermist in Namibia. That question was answered by those that could, and then the thread deviated.

I think some of the best threads on AR are the ones that have deviated slightly. After re-reading a bunch of the posts I do not really feel that anyone has been too out of line. As everyone here knows, it can be hard to interpret a tone or mood through written words.
I read most all the above posts as having a "conversational" tone but maybe that is just me.

If I have ever come across as being "unglued at the seams" It was not my intent and I certainly apologize.

Oh yeah and if a mount comes unglued at the seams it was poor work Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you guys have just scared the hell out of me since my ph recommended Reiser Taxidermy. Now, as a hunter, I probably would recogonize superior work from good work. just hope mine turns out ok. By the by, my kudu is 750.00

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
This thread is getting to me. I had a nightmare about taxidermy last night.

My crate arrived from Nyati Wildlife Art in Namibia. Opened it to find a disaster: springbok horns were attatched to a skullcap with just a little bit of hide. Kudu, eland, and gemsbok horns all had stuff coming off of them like they were antlers in velvet.

Hopefully when the real package arrives in the next few weeks, it won't be like that.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cable68
I hope your nightmare does not come true! It will probably be ok.

Bryan Chick
Thats $50 less than I charge.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
This thread is getting to me. I had a nightmare about taxidermy last night.

My crate arrived from Nyati Wildlife Art in Namibia. Opened it to find a disaster: springbok horns were attatched to a skullcap with just a little bit of hide. Kudu, eland, and gemsbok horns all had stuff coming off of them like they were antlers in velvet.

Hopefully when the real package arrives in the next few weeks, it won't be like that.

Caleb, when your package arrives. I would make sure I do one thing if you can. Try and video opening the package and during the process of taking everything out. That was our only re-course of action against the taxidermist in Namibia and the shipping company. Wish you the best of luck! Are you getting it in Dallas at DFW?

Ray Matthews
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Haven't had any official talks with the shippers yet, but when intial discussions were held last Aug, that's where they were planning to send it.

For picking it up myself Wichita would be a lot more convenient (2 hrs round trip vs 8.5). I'll just have to look into the pricing.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote