New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving this week for Namibia. Has anyone ever used Marlon Beyer (sp) for their work? I plan on using his services and stopping by the place on the way to the lodge. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spinedoc
I didn't use him as I already had arrangements made back in Houston, but I did visit his operation back in '04. Nice folks. They have a rather large facility with a lot of work going on.
The work looked pretty good, it's just that I like Brush Country. I saw mostly standard shoulder mounts flush to the wall. I didn't see any pedestals or wall pedestals for example. (not saying they couldn't do it, I just didn't see any). They do a nice plaque mount of warthog tusks if you don't want a mount. And, be sure and look at the Kudu in the office; it's a monster. They handled my dipping and that went without a hitch. Sorry I can't give any more input.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I have also had dip and pack by them with no problems. Their correspondence through email has been timely and professional. I can not speak to the taxidermy. I am expecting a zebra skin that was tanned by them very soon and I can re-post when it arrives.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and get the taxidermy work done in the US. You will pay the same amount of $ as you would if you have it done here. The shipping of shoulder mounts will be expensive. So the total cost is about the same, plus the work here in the US is much better and more selection of mounts. I learned the hard way!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spinedoc,

I used Marlin a couple years ago for a zebra rug, gemsbok shoulder mount and springbok shoulder mount. I was very happy with the quality, price, and turnaround time.

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell you what, I used Outjowarongo taxidermy in Namibia, and I couldn't be happier with the way it all came out. The Taxidermists here in the USA are ripping people off...IMO,that is!
Here is what I had done: Eland,Kudu,G-Buck,Red Hartebeest,Impala,springbuck,and Warthog...all sholder mounts.
Full Zebra rug on felt.
Full-body Baboon, and Caracal on bases.
European skulls on placks os Kudu and G-Buck.
Jackel,Baboon, warthog skull.
Three back skins....all for the total of approx.$5,000!!!
Flora and Fauna handeled shipping etc, for a total of $869.00, shipped to my door, all within 8 months.
Spend your money anyway you like, but over here a local taxidermist wanted $3,000 just for the Baboon mount!!
I also dont believe the BS about namibia using inferior "materials"....My work came out as good as anything that I have seen over here, and I saved a hell of alot of money!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar, would you mind posting some pictures of the work? It may help some with the cost/quality issue. Thanks.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Taxidermists here in the USA are ripping people off...IMO,that is!

Hey wolfgar

Bullshit! Oh, wait a minute, that's right, us USA taxidermist aren't aloud to make a living! Everyone else can but we can't. First of all, do you think 99% of the charge for a mount goes in our pocket! Think again

tell me what do you do for a living? How much do you make? Don't you think you should take a cut in wages!

I don't know who charges $3,000.00 for a Baboon!
I don't get half that, before you talk all of us down, look around

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Check out Trophaendienste near Windhoek if you get the chance. They did fabulous work for me.
S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey widow, before you get all crazy YOU should take a look at some of your competitors prices!
How about $1200 for a Kudu mount when I paid $400, or $900 for the Zebra rug...$900 for a friggin rug!! I paid $300.
I don't begrudge you making as much money as you can off of your clients, and you do deserve to make a great living...this is the american way, BUT, sorry buddy, I'm not a rich guy, so I will spend my money where it goes the farthest!
By the way, how I make my living is none of your business, and I think that you are out of line to ask, since it has nothing to do with the post.
Sorry if my opinion pisses you off.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Tell you what, I used Outjowarongo taxidermy in Namibia, and I couldn't be happier with the way it all came out. The Taxidermists here in the USA are ripping people off...IMO,that is!
Here is what I had done: Eland,Kudu,G-Buck,Red Hartebeest,Impala,springbuck,and Warthog...all sholder mounts.
Full Zebra rug on felt.
Full-body Baboon, and Caracal on bases.
European skulls on placks os Kudu and G-Buck.
Jackel,Baboon, warthog skull.
Three back skins....all for the total of approx.$5,000!!!
Flora and Fauna handeled shipping etc, for a total of $869.00, shipped to my door, all within 8 months.
Spend your money anyway you like, but over here a local taxidermist wanted $3,000 just for the Baboon mount!!
I also dont believe the BS about namibia using inferior "materials"....My work came out as good as anything that I have seen over here, and I saved a hell of alot of money!

Sounds like the one taxidemrist you looked at here in the states was a rippoff artist, but do not generalize. I did a comparison awhile back, can find the thread right now, between by taxidermist in GA and one in SA, both do excellent work and the prices on shoulder mounts came within $100 of each other on a total of 8 mounts. If someone pays $3000 for a full body baboon they are just fools, my taxidrmist charges no where near that.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Please post a photo of the $400 kudu. I have no problem with someone trying to save money but do not compare apples and oranges. If you are happy with the work and the price, that is great but your post seems to suggest that the $400 kudu and a $1200 kudu are the same thing. I have not been convinced of that yet. It could be like putting a Mossberg 500 shotgun next to a Benelli and telling someone they are the same shotgun without letting them see for themselves.
Again, I have not seen the work of this studio and it may be great. Also what year did you have your work done? The prices seem a bit low. From what I have seen the above post is correct regarding most prices I have seen.

Photos please!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar-please tell me more about the shipping costs -how did you get 7 shoulder mounts and two lifesize animals shipped to America for $869.00-great deal -almost unbelievable. I will soon have some shipping to do and want to know how you accomplished this.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
How is it "ripping people off" as you put it, when both parties agree on the price before the job is contracted, and the customer is pleased when the product is completed? Ripping someone off implies theft, or dishonesty. Your blanket statement about USA Taxidermists is STUPID. If we are too high for you, then that's perfectly alright, just say that you can't afford taxidermy done in the states rather than slandering the entire industry. bull thumbdown

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When taxidermy is concerned, this saying never rings truer...

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR......

If you want a 400$ Kudu, fine.. but don't bitch when it shows up in the crate looking like a retarded baboon mounted it.

I wouldn't even hardly break even if I charged that much. Hell, the form and tanning alone almost equals that. Then throw in the eyes, hide paste, and other misc. things needed, and most importantly, my time... and you're at 1100 to 1200$ before you know it..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
If you want to have your work done in Namibia, that is your choice. All I suggest is that you go to a experience US taxidermists and compare the work. Then compare someones work from 10 years ago and see the qaulity. Remember it is an investment of YOUR money and I hope you would want it to be a good investment. One of the reason that most African(Namibian) taxidermists are cheap is that that make there own forms out of clay molds(trophendienste for example) and they do not last. Most of them also reguire full payment before they ship them back to you. If anythig is wrong or broken, you will never hear from them again(talk about a rip off)and lose your money. That is my opinion and I have used both sides. I can tell you NOT to go to tropendienste, they screwed all 6 of hunting party 5 years ago.

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, SORRY if I offended some of you here in the USA!!
I do understand that everything here is more expensive and that has to reflect in the price that the customer pays for the work. In Namibia, as far as I can see, the work is done by locals, who probably make peanuts and the finishing is done by the white's.I'm sure that they are NOT paying for medical benefits for them either.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am not a rich guy, and a few thousand saved will go towards my next hunt. Sorry again if I offended anyone.
I will post some pictures, but believe me the wort is awesome.

As far as shipping goes, I went through John Meehan at Flora and Fauna 718-977-7700. He and the taxidermist arranged the best shipping rate for me through a guy named Huffnagle in Namibia...John has his info. Believe it or not, I did pay $869.00 for an air rate.

Also widow, sorry in advance for my nasty response!!

I had the work done in 2005.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's helpful Wolfgar-thanks.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Spinedoc,
last year i hunted in Namibia i used Marlon Beyer.Deliver time was ok (as forecasted) job very nice done.

The Oryx is a neck mount : less volume that a shoulder one and further that give an lovely vintage fashion.
Abraço.
Onça.

Posts: 1 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
$400 for a Kudu shoulder? That's less than I get for a Whitetail. I wish you all the best.

Ive posted here before about my concerns with work being done over there as opposed to here. And I will admit there are some very good taxidermists in Africa, but damn few. The ones that are any good are charging close to what we charge and you end up breaking even when you add in the shipping. Further, you have no idea how the item was tanned, how long it will last and absolutely no recourse if it comes apart in a few years. Your PH is getting an incentive for you to use "their guy" usually a cash kickback. There's nothing wrong with that, its business but they might be referring you to a guy that isn't all that great. There staff does make "peanuts" and there are 50 guys waiting in line for that job. Ive toured shops in SA and Zim and the work I saw couldn't hold a candle to what we do over here.

There's nothing wrong with stretching a dollar, but when you blow $10K or more on a hunt and have substandard work done, your going backwards in my opinion. The anatomical accuracy of forms over there is years behind what we have here. While you will end up with a mount, how unlifelike it looks will be startling. There is nothing impressive about the lifeless mounts I saw mass produced over there.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I was unaware of some of the issues surrounding this. I guess another good question to ask is, 'How do the mounts from Africa hold up?'. Does anyone have experience with older mounts done in Africa and how they look now?

posted Hide Post
I used Beyer in 1998, for shoulder mounts of a kudu and two warthogs. The facial expression of the kudu is very good, it looks very much alive. Howewer, the horns have cracked around the base and the stiching in the neck is a bit Frankensteinish, very visible and coarse. The warthogs skins are very dry, the form shows trough in spots and there seems to be what I think is salt showing on the skin on the throats. The crate they came in was very solid. I would say that the quality of work by the taxidermist at home has been much better.

Posts: 19 | Location: Norway | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar

Thanks for your appology, well taken.

I'm just very tired of hearing that, about USA taxidermist being too expensive. For what you are paying, it doesn't even begin to cover my costs.

Let's carry on!!!! thumb

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
used Beyer in 1998, for shoulder mounts of a kudu and two warthogs. The facial expression of the kudu is very good, it looks very much alive. Howewer, the horns have cracked around the base and the stiching in the neck is a bit Frankensteinish, very visible and coarse. The warthogs skins are very dry, the form shows trough in spots and there seems to be what I think is salt showing on the skin on the throats. The crate they came in was very solid. I would say that the quality of work by the taxidermist at home has been much better.

LaLa,

Tha problem you are experenciencing is caused from the "pickling" of the skin. It is not a tanned skin, it's pickled, the stiching you are seeing will only get worse as the mount gets older, no stopping it other than recaping it. A pickled skin keeps shrinking, and shrinking. By ther way, it is very "cheap" process, verses a "tanned" skin. The stuff that you think is salt on the skin, it probability is, the pickling solution is salt based. The shrinking around the horns will continue. sorry to tell you this but.............

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
I considered using a Windhoek taxidermist, but changed my mind after my wife showed me these photos she took while I was hunting.

[IMG]

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Wow! This thread sure lit a firecracker! Cool!

I have some comments to make . . .

1. Trophendienste's mounting work is cr*p! I was at their shop a couple of years ago and had them ship my trophies home. Their mounts were equal to most beginner's work I've seen here. The hides were not glued to the forms in the depression areas (called "drumming"), earbutts were mis-shaped, eye shapes were incorrect, painting was very basic with little or no color blending, and symmetry from side to side was a joke!

2. This is not to insult the above posters, but most hunters don't have an idea what "good taxidermy" really is. The last time they saw the animal it's eyes were glazed over, blood was coming out of the nose, and the tongue was hanging out. Anything better than that and most hunters are thrilled. This statement is not an insult to them - just a statement that they don't have the detailed knowledge about the animal - the shape of the nostrils, the thickness of the eyelids, the shape of the eye, the muscle structure of the earbutt, etc.

3. Good taxidermy is not cheap. You're paying for more than gluing a hide on a mannikin. You're paying for the knowledge that the taxidermist has, the ability to interpret detailed anatomy, and the ability to recreate the animal. Anybody off the street can put an anesthesia mask on your face for a surgery, but you pay more for the real guy (or gal) because they know what they are doing after the mask is on!!

4. I would NEVER have any taxidermy done at any shop in Africa. If they have a problem with your mount (and African taxidermy is some of the most difficult to do well) they are not going to call you up on the phone and say, "Hey Joe, stop by the shop and let's work this problem out". They are going to do it their way and you won't even know it until after you've paid for it.

OK, I'm done . . . have a great day!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Ok folks, here is a list. I started out thinking about describing what I think quality taxidermy is and I was going to list some things to look for. I then realized it would be better and perhaps a more usefull list if I just included things that you should not see on a mount.

So here it is, everyone feel free to add anything I left out. Hunters start looking at your trophies and see what you have got.

THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT SEE:

pins, nails or staples left in the mount or the holes visable and unrepaired

rust stains or deep impressions in the skin from the above

nostrils plugged with putty

poor or no detail in nostrils, inner ear, eyelids and mouth

putty, paint, glue, clay, epoxy etc.. in the hair

poorly sewn seams and bullet holes holes with hair sticking up everywhere or cut hair from broadheads.

seams pulling apart

unrepaired or unblended areas of hair slip

jet black paint on the horns, around the eyes, on the glass eyes.

any areas where the form is visible

drumming of the skin as described by jds above, any area where the skin has lifted off the form

cracking and shrinking of the skin, especially around the eyes, nose pad, inner ear skin

salty residue coming out of the skin

lumps under the skin

hairless skin exposed around lip line from under tucked lip skin

putty around the lip line

over stuffed feet (check those leopards)

fully extended claws on relaxed leopard and lion mounts

incorrect ear position (check those leopards again)

lips are pulling out

putty where horn bases meet hair looks like putty, not textured in a realistic way to look like horn.

animal looks "painted"

unrealistic or fake looking habitat on bases

exposed threaded rods or wires where mount is attached to base

horns set at the wrong angle for the species

horns mounted crookedly on form

eyes look too sleepy or are bulging

reproductive organs not rebuilt

putty packed around the base of warthog tusks where they enter the gum line

wear marks do not line up on upper and lower warthog tusks

shriveled up looking ears with wavy edges

excessive wrinkles under the chin

unrealistic, flat looking wrinkles

natural hair patterns have not been aligned

unnatural looking colors in the ears or no color in the ears (Anybody have a kudu with gray inner ears?)

black cape buffaloes

nothing on the back of the mount to prevent damaging wall

I could probably think of more but it is getting late! Eeker

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Last year when I have to plan my trip in Namibia, I spoke with Mr.Caggiano, that in Italy is a shipper specialized in trophy import. He suggested to me to use Reiser Taxidermy.
I made them clean and prepare the skulls, I made them clean and tan the skins that should bot mount, and prepare the skins to mount, salting and packing them.
I spoke with the owner and manager, Wilko Pasheka, and stated with him all the details and I had what I asked.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't funny that the ones that complain the most are those in the business. I don't need a piece of artwork on my wall for 10 times the price. After all it is only a shoulder mount. As far as your not ripping off a client. If they agree to the price doesn't mean anything especially if they don't have all the facts to compare. If one can buy a new truck and by shopping around they can save money, they are richer for it not the Manufacturer. If that dosen't suite you taxidermists then fine I DON'T CARE! I deal in facts and the fact is if someone can save some money and have a good mount then they should decide not you. This sounds a lot like when someone posts about a safari that didn't go well and every outfitter/booking agent on the forum challenges the client saying they don't know what they are talking about or it was the clients fault. B.S.Those taxidermists that posted seem to be a self serving lot. Frankly, unless I shoot a real recordbook trophy, I don't have the space or the inclination to have everything mounted. I have european mounts on most things to show the shape of the horns. That is my preference. As far as having skins tanned here, I have had my stuff sent to two different places in Texas and one in Colorado and both with less than adequate results.

For those hunting in southern Africa, often it takes six months or more to get the trophies home. In that time the skins can already be soft tanned and ready for display by the time they are sent. This applies to Namibia and RSA. My trophies from Zambia and Tanzania I had sent in the salt as no one I knew could recommend a local firm that did the work well.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I know the attached pictures do not offer enough detail to make a good assessment of taxidermy quality, but to me, they look very nice. I've enumerated my detailed costs on another thread, but the bushbuck was 1200 bucks and the buffalo 850. Thoughts? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a piece of artwork on my wall for 10 times the price.

I'm not sure what you are basing this on. 10 times the price! Confused

I think that people "who are in the business" tend to get fired up because they are passionate about what they do. This is true for outfitters, taxidermists, whoever.

Look, I do not care where everyone gets there taxidermy done, like you said, if you are happy with the work and the price, that is great. But when you see posts talking about how U.S. taxidermists are ripping people off and are "10 times the price" you are going to get some responses.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't need a piece of artwork on my wall for 10 times the price.

So what you are saying is Wolfgars $400.00 Kudu mount here in the USA would cost you Mmmmmmmm????

$4,000.00 Dollars!!!!!!

I think your getting a little out of control! No taxidermist here charges 4 grand for a Kudu!!!

Widowmaker416

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't funny that the ones that complain the most are those in the business.

Lb404 - - - -

Not complaining here just tired of people pointing the finger at USA taxidermist, that we charge to much. Yes I am very proud to be in the taxidermy field, been doing taxidermy for well over 30 years, and plan to die with a modeling tool in my hand. I don't like being generalized!

Widowmaker416

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
After all it is only a shoulder mount

WOW!!! What a statement!! You save your money, plan out safari of a life time, pratice shooting for your trip, spend all kinds of money to make sure you have the best equipment and it's in top shape. Spend hours on end calling and talking with all kinds od safari companys, flying over, hunting hard, you shoot some beautiful trophies then - - - - - - - -

"It's only a shoulder mount!"

The only part of a great safari you will be looking at the rest of your life! Sad! Frowner

Very sad! "It's only a shoulder mount - - - - -

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
quote:
After all it is only a shoulder mount

WOW!!! What a statement!! You save your money, plan out safari of a life time, pratice shooting for your trip, spend all kinds of money to make sure you have the best equipment and it's in top shape. Spend hours on end calling and talking with all kinds od safari companys, flying over, hunting hard, you shoot some beautiful trophies then - - - - - - - -

"It's only a shoulder mount!"

The only part of a great safari you will be looking at the rest of your life! Sad! Frowner

Very sad! "It's only a shoulder mount - - - - -

I don't get it, what's so sad about it? You still had the experience, the thrill, the memory, the trophy on the wall is just a consequence of these things and the least significant in my book.

If I'm not mistaken you've been on multiple safaris. Them safaris require an urgent need for big $$$$$ so you can't be doing to bad, or maybe you're just a part time taxidermist.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
JDS is right, most hunters don't know good work from bad. I see it all the time, hunters get caught up in the horns, and not how natural the mount looks when they get it back. As a taxidermist, Im trying to change that. Im trying to show you how "good" your piece can look. Im never going to look at your work as "only a shoulder mount". If someone ever insulted my price on my work by saying "its only a shoulder mount", I'd throw them out of my shop. As I try to educate people or do demos at local shows, some actually start to see how hard "good" taxidermy really is and how long it takes. But there will always be some know it all in the crowd that wants his deer done for $185.00 cause so and so only charges that much and it looks fine. Well if your happy with so and sos work, more power to you. Chances are so and so cant hold a candle to the higher priced guys.

Sadly taxidermy has been a backyard business that garners little respect forever. The only way to lift the trade and to get better is through continuing education and competing. Yes we compete against each other at taxidermy competitions. The yardstick the judges use is quality of the mount, anatomical detail, workmanship etc. They care nothing about the horns. What we learn through competing is how to do a mount better, for you!

To compare the work done by most african taxidermists(again not all of them are bad) with a pickled skin, crappy form and poor finishing and painting to work done by a guy that competes at a state or national level is an insult.

The way you as hunters can compare quality is pretty easy. In addition to the extensive list above. Simply download some closeup live pics of various animals you have mounted or want to get mounted. Compare the close ups of live animals to the mounts. Look at the shape of the eye, the size and placement of ear butts, color of the skin around the eye, mouth and nose(its not black) etc. If you like a mount with black eyes, black nose and a black line around the mouth, go for it. If you want lifelike representations, you know who to have do you work.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You guys that say that there are damn few good taxidermists in Africa are right. But let me tell you something, there are damn few good taxidermists over here. I used a guy over here that did me a great job, I have no complaints. My PH did not have anybody he trusted to good good work in Namibia. I didn't say you can't get good work done just that my PH didn't know anyone.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Buehler? Buehler? Any comments on the prices and or work I posted? I plan to do LOTS of research on this issue next time as my next trophy will hopefully be a leopard. There's a guy who owns a big sporting good store here in Jacksonville who had his leopard done in Tampa by I think a wel-know taxidermist. Well, I wasn't impressed the from used was all wrong, but for a big cat, I am willing to pay somebosy like Life-Form or Jonas if the work is well worth the effort. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I used Marlon in 2004. I had 1 Steinbok pedestal and 1 springbok shoulder mounts done, as well as a zebra rug and some backskins tanned. My buddy had Kudu/Gemsbok/warthog/hartebeast shoulder mounts and zebra rug/backskins tanned.

I had a Kudu wall pedestal and a Gemsbok pedestal mount done here by what I think is one of the best taxidermists in the US.

Having said that, here's my take:

1. Marlon has his own tanning tank (ie, doesn't send the skins out to be tanned by some big tannery). His tanning work is VERY good, in my opinion. Have him make all your backskins into leather (hair off). Also, the zebra rugs were very good. For reasons unknown to me, rugs and general tanning are the biggest disparity in prices b/w Africa and the US. In Marlon's case, were he does his own tanning and it seems to be very good quality, it is a no-brainer to have him do all your rugs and backskins.

2. Marlon hires about a gazillon "locals" to do the taxidermy work. I'm sure they're trained well, but the quality is just about what you'll get from one of the big shops in the US (where your work will be done by an illegal alien from South of the Border). The quality is not up to what the top guys in the US will turn out, IMO, but if you plan to use one of the big 'assembly-line' shops in the US, you might as well have Marlon do it.

3. For shoulder mounts, I found the added shippin costs jsut about wiped out the savings in taxidermy costs. Of course, this gets more pronounced the bigger the animal gets...you can stick alot of Steinbok shoulder mounts in a small box!

4. For some reason, the price difference for full-body mounts is really huge...much more so than for shoulder mounts. It is big enough that I would really never have something like a bushbuck done full-body in the US, but I might take my chances with one in Africa, fully realizing the risk of having a goofy mount, but the price would make it (possibly) worth trying.

5. We stopped by Marlon's shop and talked in depth about how we wanted the poses, etc. He agreed to make wall-pedestals by cutting up a full-body form, and I even drew pictures, etc and it was agreed to in the contract. I tell you this to say that you are not *technically* limited in what they can do. When I got the boxes, though, they were just plain old standard mounts... homer

In summary...

I will have Shoulder mounts done in the US, because the price difference is not worth it once shipping is considered.

I will have rugs and backskins done in Africa, IF I can confirm WHO will be doing the tanning.

If there is something I ever want to have done life-size, I will seriously consider having it done in Africa.

Hope this helps...of course, it just my opinion, and nothing more.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting in Namibia next year and would like to do some research on tanning/ taxidermy there. Would any of you who have had work done there in the last few years mind posting contact information for the taxidermists you've used? I'm not finding much through internet searches.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote