New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Zim info and tips requested
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to go to Zim on a buffalo hunt in Chewore North in August 2009. The last time I was in Zim was in 2006.

If you have been recently to Zim, please tell me about things that might be new and that could affect my hunt over there.

By that I mean topics like the new currency situation, new rifle importation rules, new visa or entry regulations at Zim airports or any other info that may be important to a hunter.

Advice on best airlines to fly to Harare from Mexico, the USA or Europe would also be appreciated...

Although I am probably going to borrow a rifle in Zim, please tell me about possible new rules (taxes!) for rifle and ammo import/export to Zim that may be relevant...

Thanks in advance, Antonio

Thank you, Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Antonio

Rifle import rules are as simple as they were in 2006. Not sure on visa's for Mexico, but immagine they are the same as US Ciizens. $35 for visa on entry- and have the correct change. US change is in short supply since the country moved onto the US$ as the official currency (and did so without approval or support from the USA).

Take plety of small chnge! $100 and $50 bills are freely available. Fair numbers of $20's...some 10's. Below that you get given R in change (at a very unfavorable rate!!!!)

Even if you are borrowing a rifle, bring the ammo for it! Ammo is in short supply.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Mexico is under code C - therefore you must have Visa prior your entry.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will PM me with a normal email I will connect you with a friend of mine from Monterrey who is joining me in Zim in July. I have worked with him through all the paperwork and I am sure he can advise you. As said earlier, the Visa for both SA and Zimbabwe needs to be obtained in advance.

Regards,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure the Visa in Zim can be paid for on entering the country, per Ganyanas last.

stu

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Stuey you must get in Zim first (once there everything is possible) just have in mind that flight operator is facing 50 K penalty for getting (smuggling) you into country without a Visa that you shouold have prior entering the country (if your country is listed under C code for Zim) - so believe me they won't let you on board - been there done that - learned it the hard way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana

Ammo for African calibers is imposible to get in Mexico, and you cannot easily get an export permit without exporting a rifle as well. Technically speaking, I cannot buy ammo in the USA with the new rules after 9/11, and I am not sure I will be flying out of the USA anyway. My PH will be Andy Hunter, who has offered to borrow me one of his rifles + ammo in order to avoid the red tape that has become a hassle to Mexican hunters. Traveling with a rifle these days is a problem. For instance one cannot practically fly from Mexico to Africa over the USA with a rifle.

As last time, I will need a visa previously issued by Zim´s Washington Consulate, a relatively easy thing to accomplish. Formerly, Mexicans did not need a visa to enter South Africa. Has that changed?

Last time I flew directly from London to Harare. Do you know if that flight has been cancelled? What is the best way to fly to Harare (over JHB perhaps)?

Regarding money, am I to understand that the US dollar circulates now officially in Zim, but that I will be getting "change" in local currency? Since probably no one in Zim wants local currency anymore, how do I get rid of unused local Zim dollars? Is the USD now freely convertible or do you still have the different official and (black?) market exchange rates?

Thank you for your answer, Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Can you bring cartridges in without the matching rifle? I am in the same predicament, using a borrowed rifle and want to bring in .375 rounds for it but hear that you have to have a rifle to match the ammo...is that true?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
basically, no you can't. i don't know of any airline that will transport ammo without an accompanying rifle of THE SAME CALIBER.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it last year with shotgun ammo and didn't have a shotgun. Are shotguns different than rifles???

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse 93, just checked with the Zim Embassy and for aussies we fly into Harare and pay for the visa there at the cost of USD $30.00. No need for getting it early at our end. I cannot speak for those travelling from Mexico.

Stu

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antonio- I would tick with Mouse93's comment. I know he had trouble with the airline last year! - go with big brears help and pre-get a visa. If the ammo is a hassle then don't worry!

j dollar- Lufthansa has just carried ammo for me in 3 calibres - no rifles. Just wanted to inspect the firearms permits to ensure I was allowed to have the ammo (both in Europe and Africa).

I do not know about the USA- but they seem to be able to ship shotgun cartridges officially without issue- The powder companies send me test powder in 8 guage shells....

From europe- just get a copy of the PH's firearm certificate and make sure you are legally allowed to have the ammo on you.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuey:
Mouse 93, just checked with the Zim Embassy and for aussies we fly into Harare and pay for the visa there at the cost of USD $30.00. No need for getting it early at our end. I cannot speak for those travelling from Mexico.

Stu

Yes sure you do – you are listed under code B, therefore can be granted visas at the port of entry. Even I have managed to get it once – slipped unknowingly through and ended in Hre – guy at the desk issuing Visa didn’t blink an eye – just charged me 100$ and all went well. On the other occasion – flight from Frankfurt via Jo’burg was primarily operated by Lufthansa, however they didn’t fill the plane so handled the flight over to SAA – when I turned up at the check in for Jo’burg I was denied on board – in 5 minutes I had a guy from immigration office in Hre on my cell explaining to the lady at the desk that there is no issue and they will let me in Zim – well not through that SAA lady – Slovakia (B) YES, Slovenia (C) NO…lesson learned. beer

P.S. It is quite funny now (it wasn't then) - although we are all full members of EU, that doesn't count - imagine if that would apply to US Roll Eyes