New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length on a .404 Jeff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you .404 user out there have any input on how long to lmake your barrel. I'm thinking 23" would be a nice balance. Am I thinking to short here?

one of us
posted Hide Post
To me you are, as I like a 26" tube like the old timers shot, they knew a thing or two about shooting offhand and that long barrel makes one a better off hand shot IMO...but barrel length is obviously a personal thing as I have been pounded, yelled at, cussed and blamed for the crucifiction on my views of barrel length, shall we say by a bunch of no nothing dummies that should be stringhaltered and gil flurted for disagreeing with me on that subject.....no, I'm just kidding least I get the same treatment again

It is subjective and personal, so do what you like, not what someone tells you to do...but remember you can cut the barrel off but you cannot put it back...

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Mine is 23".....just because I like shorter barrels that handle better for me.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mine is 23".....just because I like shorter barrels that handle better for me.

I like a long barrel for balance and for reduced muzzle blast.

To get the velocity you need for cape buffalo, a 20" barrel will do it. After that it's all about personal preference.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The bbl. on mine is 23", see the post under big bores for a photo. It balances well for me.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lothar Walther barrel I ordered for mine came crowned, threaded & chambered for a finished lenght of 25". I think that I will be pretty happy with this length. If after installing the barrel, but before installing the sights, I think it is too long, I can cut it down.

I decided on this strategy because I have not yet been able to find a good "barrel stretcher" to make a short barrel longer

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I am a short barrel guy. I just don't want to waste a bunch of gunpowder by not burning it in too short of a tube. I think I'll start out at 24".

And y'all are right it really is a personal thing. I was thinking more towards the technical aspect of the caliber not so much the preference in regards to length with this cartridge.

Fred, I saw yours. Very elegant rifle my friend nice job!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like short barrels too, but if you want to get the velocities that Ray gets out of a 404, you will have to go mighty warm on your powder loads out of a 23 inch barrel. Ray is right about holding steadier in off hand positions. I have visions of beeing in the thick and having to turn and fire fast, and the barrel getting snagged on a limb. On that thought I had my 375 cut short, 21 inches. The 375 is not thought of as a stopping round. My 416 (where stopping rounds arguably begin)wears a 24 inch tube. Go figure. No rhyme nor reason in my logic. Most reloading manuals now use a 24 inch barrel as standard. A few use 26 but that is the exception. If I rebarrel my 404 it will be with a 24. The buffalo will not know the difference. You will lose about 25-45 fps per inch you cut off. In the 404 you have case capacity to make up for differences of 50-100fps and still get to 2300or so without getting too hot. Or if you load like Ray does you might break 3000 . Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D Hunter,
That theory only works in the bush if you know where the bush is, sometimes its closer than you think and a 23 inch will hang up, so why not cut it to 15 inches, but then again the bush might be even closer! Food for thought but I like the idea of 3000 FPS maybe a 34 inch barrel would get me there...

A Jewish barrel is always a smart idea as you can always circumsize it if its too long, not so the short barrel and with the short barrel one has to live with Penis envy the rest of his life...

A 20 inch 404 does have a certain appeal however, maybe I will, no lets not go there.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray you are right on the penis envy thing. I never thought about how other hunters in camp might consider what a man I would be. I will definitely go with 26or 28 inch barrel if and when I rebarrel. It may not help me much though, most women seem to notice that my hands are small and I become much less interesting. Good hunting, D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
I have seen Jefferys rifles in 404 and owned one at one time that had 27" barrels...I copied my first two 404 that I built from that gun..Also somewhere around I have or had an original magazine advertisement that listed the Jefferys with a 27 inch barrel as standard fair....I will try and find that add and will somehow get you a copy of it, it is very old and I think you would like it.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I am the original clumsy oaf, no apologies. If I can sneak through the jess quieter than the PH when I'm carrying a 24-26" barrel (and I have!) then the argument about "it won't hang up in the brush" seems like smoke from the finest of Mexican and Southeast Asian "tobaccos". Bah ! Put a 24 incher on it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I have to agree with MR. Atkinson, 2 or 3 inchs really is not alot of difference.And if you do not have a muzzel break compared to shorter barrels that due it is really the same,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote