THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lion, Lepoard and Elephant ban in areas of Zim

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion, Lepoard and Elephant ban in areas of Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was notified early this morning that Zim Parks had imposed a ban on hunting of the Big 5. As with many things coming from Zim, it appears to be partially true. She has banned the hunting of Lion, Leopard and Elephant in certain areas of Zimbabwe, not the entire country. It is not at all clear what those areas are and the Zim PH association is at Zim Parks right now trying to get clarification. Either he or I (and I imagine about 100 others) will post as soon as a clear answer is determined.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only area's surrounding hwange park. For information from the horses mouth call them, Zimbabwe parks dept in Harare

Director General -mr chidziya
Director conservation - mr musakwa

+263 4 707624/5/6/7/8/9
+263 4 705344

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called. What a nightmare. I was not given an answer. I was asked to put this in writing.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I called. What a nightmare. I was not given an answer. I was asked to put this in writing.

This gets better by the minute.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have e mailed the guy.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, at some point, vacations are supposed to relieve stress. This trip is not accomplishing that at this point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May be time for me to buy a bigger boat....

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think the guy I talked to was scared I was a reporter.

Between the heavy African accent and the sh*tty phones, it was hard to understand everything he was saying.

We will see if we get a response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry which of the two did you speak with and then e mail..?

I second the thought of he may have suspected you were a journo / reporter....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZWC:

I called the first number you listed above. I advised that I wanted to speak with someone who could answer questions about the current status of an area. I was transferred to another person.

I clearly told him the date of our arrival, the start date of the safari and that I had been to Zim MANY times before. I asked a few simple questions after identifying the area. The questions were basically was the area open for hunting and was lion, leopard, buff and jumbo still legal to hunt there? I was asked to put it in writing which I have done. I also advised that I wanted to go but I wanted no questions over legality.

I tried to make sure he knew I was a client but I am not sure I succeeded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love African Bush Govt. Kinda reminds me of Italian Govt, changes every six weeks or so. What else to be expected with that murderous son of a Bitch Mugabe in charge.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry I am supposed to be heading to Save in 3 weeks. My PH says they are open for business. Only around H park is closed. I spoke to a friend and PH with was going to some big meeting with Park officials I have not heard back from him yet. I will let you know what I hear.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Waiting on clarification, but it does look like it's only the areas around Hwange that are affected.

My question, what about the hunters that had to cut short their hunts? What about the hunters that are scheduled to hunt?

What is the Zimbabwean government going to do for them? Are they going to be reimbursed for the $$ paid for their safaris, transportation, and time off? Or are they going to be routed to another area for their hunt?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry

I have my Zimbabwe Land Classification map out Circa 1983. The areas that border Hwange are as follows: Ngamo (Forestry), Sikumi (Forestry), Deka (it used to be a "pool area" for the Matetsi area's), Tjolotjo (communal) and of course Gwaai. Now as far as the Matetsi Safari areas they are not broken out on my map, I will try to find a map of the numbered Matetsi blocks and see which ones border Hwange. Also I am sure there are additional private lands that I have not mentioned as well.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear what you all are saying. However, it sounds like today's announcement is slightly different. Under the circumstances, I feel the need to be 100% certain.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, at some point, vacations are supposed to relieve stress. This trip is not accomplishing that at this point.

And I thought the ITN number debacle 6 days before leaving for Zim was a hassle.

OK Larry, Deep breath.....in with the good air, out with the bad......Ohhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.

There you go. I feel better now. Wink

When are you due to leave?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear what you all are saying. However, it sounds like today's announcement is slightly different. Under the circumstances, I feel the need to be 100% certain.

Yep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Larry

I have my Zimbabwe Land Classification map out Circa 1983. The areas that border Hwange are as follows: Ngamo (Forestry), Sikumi (Forestry), Deka (it used to be a "pool area" for the Matetsi area's), Tjolotjo (communal) and of course Gwaai. Now as far as the Matetsi Safari areas they are not broken out on my map, I will try to find a map of the numbered Matetsi blocks and see which ones border Hwange. Also I am sure there are additional private lands that I have not mentioned as well.

Matetsi 3 and 5 as well.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At some point Larry, prudence will require us to punt. If they can't get their act together soon, well I don't won't to be in the bush and have the hammer dropped.I will flip a switch then.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No resolution today, needs to be resolved tomorrow as a long public holiday starts in Zim day after tomorrow.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
I am off to Zim for lion, eli and buff in October. Hunting in the Valley with CMS. Myles just confirmed that the hunt is "110% on"

Where are you hunting Larry?

Good Hunting
CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I can confirm that Bubye Valley Conservancy is open. Will be heading out there Aug 16th.

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding the hunt can be done with the "written permission" from a certain official in the Zim Parks. Now what that requires and how big a bribe, who knows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
I am off to Zim for lion, eli and buff in October. Hunting in the Valley with CMS. Myles just confirmed that the hunt is "110% on"

Where are you hunting Larry?

Good Hunting
CF

Myles apparently does not have the latest intel.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things have changed to an uncertain mode today. A major meeting adjourned not too long ago. A resolution is being worked on BUT there is a week long national holiday coming. If it isn't resolved tomorrow, there will be a delay.

I have posted a document elsewhere. Unless I can get this executed AND have a copy of a valid TR-2, my happy ass is staying right here.

I am going to start referring to this as the hemorrhoid safari for obvious reasons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the Zim operators would like to chime in as I would believe that they would have a more clear understanding.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there will likely be no further clarification until tomorrow and if not then a full week later.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monday /Tuesday next week are public holidays. So if no official statement or clarification today, it will be Wednesday 12th August at the earliest. The sad reality in all of this the Director General could easily rectify this as he has the power and authority to do so, and advise his minister of his actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of this morning, we are still on hold.

Jeff