New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pants or shorts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going on Safari in September in Mozambique. When on safari what do you prefer to wear shorts or pants.? Reasoning behind and any suggestions to brand or type.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear pants.

My main reason is to fend off snags, rips, etc. of flesh on the trail. On my first safari in Zim, my friend was elephant hunting. He came back on his first day out, and his legs were absolutely shredded. More red blood than white skin on those legs. He had chosen shorts. I guess that image has stayed with me.

Also, I don’t seem to suffer from hot legs on safari. Hot torso sometimes (Luangwa Valley in Nov.), but not hot legs. Perhaps we’re all different, and others do suffer hot legs. Shorts would make sense then I guess.

My favorite pants are Wrangler Riggs Workwear and Cabela’s Trail Hiker, both brands have lots of pockets, (7) each, and the Wranglers are made of rip stop material, which I like the best.

YMMV

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore the Cabelas Trail Hikers in Mozambique hunting buff in the Delta. Protection from sun is also important.
I also wear them hunting in US, to work, dinner, around the house……
Wearing the same pants I wear all the time, broke in, comfortable, they are an extension of me.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pants unless you want to feed the seed ticks, Tetsi flies, and assorted vicious little bastards, take a big roll or silver tape to close up the cuffs..

ONly Africans locals and PHs are immune to bugs and flying insects, only the indigenous and PHs go barefooted, wear shorts or deck shoes in Africa btw..

bugs are more dangerous than chaging elephants, buffalo or male lions, can ruin a safari..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Trousers.

Always.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find some Convertible pants that you zip off the bottom 2/3 of the leg. You'll be prepared for about any conditions you will find.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I always take and wear both to Africa. Same answer as to long and short sleeve shirts. Depending on the terrain and the hunt I wear either shorts or long pants. When wearing shorts, I always wear gaiters with my hunting boots. I would suggest taking some of each. Your hunt, though. Enjoy!

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Pants. If I wore shorts the glare would warn every animal for miles.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Shorts, the shortest ones you can find. Show off those legs. Cool

Sweats over top for the morning truck rides and evenings around the camp fire if winter months.

Take some convertible (zip-off’s) if you must.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Trousers.

Whenever this question comes up, I am reminded of the great Stewart Edward White's comments on the subject, from his brilliant book, The Land of Footprints, published over 100 years ago and still true:

"In passing I would call your attention to "shorts." Shorts are loose, bobbed off khaki breeches, like knee drawers. With them are worn puttees or leather leggings, and low boots. The knees are bare. They are much affected by young Englishmen.

I observed them carefully at every opportunity, and my private opinion is that man has rarely managed to invent as idiotically unfitted a contraption for the purpose in hand. In a country teeming with poisonous insects, ticks, fever-bearing mosquitoes; in a country where vegetation is unusually well armed with thorns, spines and hooks, mostly poisonous; in a country where, oftener than in any other a man is called upon to get down on his hands and knees and crawl a few assorted abrading miles, it would seem an obvious necessity to protect one's bare skin as much as possible.

The only reason given for these astonishing garments is that they are cooler and freer to walk in. That I can believe.

But they allow ticks and other insects to crawl up, mosquitoes to bite, thorns to tear, and assorted troubles to enter. And I can vouch by experience that ordinary breeches are not uncomfortably hot or tight. Indeed, one does not get especially hot in the legs anyway. I noticed that none of the old-time hunters like Cuninghame or Judd wore shorts.

The real reason [that Englishmen affect the wearing of shorts] is not that they are cool, but that they are picturesque. Common belief to the contrary, your average practical, matter-of-fact Englishman loves to dress up . . . . I am not criticising the spirit in them; but merely trying to keep mistaken shorts off you."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pants.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually pants. I always pack shorts as well. When it’s open country and dry with not many insects I will wear shorts, otherwise pants. All clothing sprayed with permethrin to keep bugs and mosquitos away. Pants are always checked for ticks. Tick bite fever is not fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shorts for me. Always .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Trousers.

Whenever this question comes up, I am reminded of the great Stewart Edward White's comments on the subject, from his brilliant book, The Land of Footprints, published over 100 years ago and still true:

"In passing I would call your attention to "shorts." Shorts are loose, bobbed off khaki breeches, like knee drawers. With them are worn puttees or leather leggings, and low boots. The knees are bare. They are much affected by young Englishmen.

I observed them carefully at every opportunity, and my private opinion is that man has rarely managed to invent as idiotically unfitted a contraption for the purpose in hand. In a country teeming with poisonous insects, ticks, fever-bearing mosquitoes; in a country where vegetation is unusually well armed with thorns, spines and hooks, mostly poisonous; in a country where, oftener than in any other a man is called upon to get down on his hands and knees and crawl a few assorted abrading miles, it would seem an obvious necessity to protect one's bare skin as much as possible.

The only reason given for these astonishing garments is that they are cooler and freer to walk in. That I can believe.

But they allow ticks and other insects to crawl up, mosquitoes to bite, thorns to tear, and assorted troubles to enter. And I can vouch by experience that ordinary breeches are not uncomfortably hot or tight. Indeed, one does not get especially hot in the legs anyway. I noticed that none of the old-time hunters like Cuninghame or Judd wore shorts.

The real reason [that Englishmen affect the wearing of shorts] is not that they are cool, but that they are picturesque. Common belief to the contrary, your average practical, matter-of-fact Englishman loves to dress up . . . . I am not criticising the spirit in them; but merely trying to keep mistaken shorts off you."

That was brilliant

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Shirts for me. Always .

You might want to read the question again Larry

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's really cold, always shorts with gaiters over my boots.

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Trouble is some clients like to be like their professional hunters.

Doesn't work.

Professional hunters have as much pain sense in their bodies as they have normal sense between their ears.

Just about detectable by an electron microscope!

We followed some buffalo, and managed to shoot one after midday.

On trying to get close, we had to crawl on some rocks.

I was wearing jeans.

Roy was wearing shorts.

I can barely manage to crawl on the hot rocks with my jeans, Roy was crawling with his bare knees as if there was nothing there.

After I shot the bull, Roy went to get the truck.

I was left behind with two German friends, a father and son.

This was in Chete, in October.

No shade, as hot as hades.

Each one of us found a small mopane tree - no leaves - about 8 inch in diameter to sit by avoiding the sun.

My friend's father was almost dead by the time Roy came back with the truck.

So go ahead and wear shorts, and enjoy the punishment! clap

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I like Larry’s comment. It begs the next question: sleeves or no sleeves?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Shirts for me. Always .

You might want to read the question again Larry

F’ing autocorrect

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Find some Convertible pants that you zip off the bottom 2/3 of the leg. You'll be prepared for about any conditions you will find.

Mark

This! Best of both worlds.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Shorts. Always

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Shorts always...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

Unless your are John Sharp, may want to keep the sleeves....

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I'm a shorts guy unless hunting in the jungle or it's cold, like the RSA mid-winter.

And I wear long sleeves and either roll the sleeves up or down as needed.

I like canvas material in my shorts for durability and an 8" inseam. Mountain Kakhi, Carhart and Patagonia are brands I have worn...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shorts and short sleeves, and bring a light jacket/fleece/softshell with a windstopper membrane for cold mornings. Feeling the hot needle of the occasional tsetse fly bite is part of the fun.

And don't wear gaiters with long pants, unless you're really wanting to look the bozo. With shorts, on the other hand, they're helpful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My feeelings are hurt, I said the same thing as whitey said but in two sentences, bloody English bastards!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

Unless your are John Sharp, may want to keep the sleeves....

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shorts are popular in Namibia, but I've only had a couple of PH's in Tanzania that hunted in shorts. I never will. I'd add one thing, I don't hunt in light pants -- anymore -- and prefer Carharts. Had a similar situation to what Saeed described and was hunting in lightweight pants. As I was sliding over the rocks to try to get a shot, I shredded those pants and finished that day's hunt with a pair of pants taped together by duct tape, which thankfully, I always carry in my daypack.

So for me, not just pants, but something like jeans, appropriately colored of course. This year, I'm actually taking a couple of pairs of overalls. They have advantages I think, but I'll let you know how that goes.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And long sleeves always. You can always roll long sleeves up, but you can't roll short sleeves down. I like shirts with tabs.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore shorts some days and long pants on other days in Sept. in Mozambique up in Niassa. Ticks were not bad, but there were a lot of Tsetse flies. Pick your poison, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Preferred brands for pants or shorts: Wrangler Riggs Workwear, Duluth Firehose Flex, Carhartt

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In my six safaris to Namibia I’ve worn shorts ONCE. My legs were so chewed up from thorns and brush I bled like a sieve. Once was enough- I’m a big Carrhart fan for pants

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on terrain and vegetation.

In the jesse and mopane terrain etc in Zim shorts will be best. In high grass, sticky bush and thorns pants will be better.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a convertible pant fan. That being said, the pant legs stayed in the pack on the truck the entire 10 days I was in Zim this month, the same as they have on my previous two trips (Limpopo).

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if a zipper breaks they'll stay in the truck as well. Convertible pants are one of life's complications I don't need, but I'm old and intolerant.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'm old and intolerant.

I resemble that remark.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just man up! Wear the shorts,look the part! (Unless it's a bit chilly, the flies are bad, the thorns are thick, then be a wimp like me)

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Had on what those trousers that zip off to shorts.

Arrived at camp lunch time with two buffalo, and decided to call it a day.

After lunch, I thought I might take a dip in the river to cool off.

The question of crocs came up.

A couple of nights earlier, we counted 35 crocs in front of the camp!

Walter and me have swam in that river before, but he chickened out on this particular day.

Rene and Maktoum were adamant that I should NOT go swim.

What they did not not know was that I flew a drone several hundred yards either side of our camp, and couldn't see a single croc!

Zipped off my trousers, and started down the river bank.

Rene was shouting that I should wait.

She is getting her camera to record me being eaten!

Maktoum was on his sat phone to his wife - who apparently is terrified of crocs!

Went back to the mess tent and got a Coke to enjoy while lying in the cool water of teh river.

Had a nice long swim.

Again, in the evening, lots of crocs showed up.

Too late! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shorts!
With a pair of sweat over in the cool mornings

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Shorts with a long sleeve fishing shirt. Frankly I've never encountered anything worse than a 2-3 year old cutover in Louisiana while in Africa.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take both and make a decision on what to wear after I get to the hunting destination.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote