New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim @ end of May.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone going via Jo May 23. Hunting with HHK. Cant freakin wait.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving May 28. Also hunting with HHK in the OMAY. What camp will you be in? Who will be your PH?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will go through Joh-burg 19. May and on to Vic Falls.
I wondered; which precautions do you take regarding the new SA rules regarding rifles in transit to Zimbabwe ??

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on the flight from ATlanta to Joberg on May 19th. Then it's on to Vic Falls. From what I've been told, the new rules in RSA for firearms in transit go into effect on June 1st.

Posts: 74 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PH will be Brent Hein.

Posts: 134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several people, including my trusted travel agent (lots of Africa and hunting experience) and very trusted booking agent tell me that the time has come that one is wise to arrange for a handler in Jo'berg. They both, as well as guys that have been there, say it is money well spent. These people recommending get nothing out of it, so they have no reason to push it, and it's not real expensive--$50-$75. I'm going to do it.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Who will be your PH on this trip?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As of right now I do not know. The PH I was scheduled to hunt with had a family situation come up and cannot be there at the time of my hunt. I have not heard who I will be hunting with as of yet. When I find out I will let you know.
Spring have you shot the 470 yet?

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Yes, the new .470 came in Tuesday afternoon. It is a truly beautiful gun. I had it shipped to my local gunsmith since he has the FFL and I must say it caused quite a stir at his place. He said the gun was second only to a set of matched Purdeys that have come through his store. Anyway, the gun fit remarkably well, and as I mentioned previously, I had never shot a gun bigger than my .375, so I didn't know what to expect when firing it for the first time. I'm 6-1 200 so I didn't anticipate any problems, but I was particularly curious how my young son, who is only 5-10 about 145, might handle it. We went to my farm that afternoon and set up a target at about 60 yards. Well, the gun shot beautifully with the recoil being very manageable. Even my lighter son thought that. We were both pleasantly surprised. The only problem I had with the gun was an issue with its safety. It was not sliding as easily as I wanted it to. As a result, yesterday, I sent it back to Roosevelt and Drake for them to take a look at. They assured me it was something simple and that they would check it out and have it back to me by Tuesday. I am sure they are right but I wanted them to go ahead and check it while the gun was in its 3-day evaluation period. All things considered, I really like the gun and am looking forward to shooting it some more next week.

As for your HHK PH, since you apparently haven't been assigned to anyone yet, it might not hurt to put in a request. For what it's worth, I was very pleased with my HHK PH, Howard Hunter. If you check out HHK's Photo Gallery you'll see Howard in there several times hunting in the Omay. If it works out that you get him, please tell him I said "hello!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring:

I shot about half a dozen rounds from my PH's 470 double. (I had been using a 375 H&H) My experience was (just like the 375) was that the 470 gave a "shove" and not a 'kick". I have read the technical explanations and since my eyes usually glaze over when it comes to "science" I'll just note (as I'm sure you have) that the 470 is a nice gun to shoot. (MY PH told me to "punch down" with the gun and to touch her off as I found the sights on target. It worked for me (I hasten to say, only at a scrap of paper on a bush) and I began to understand what my PH was talking about in comparing the two calibers. He told me he used a 375 in "control" shooting of elephants and how terrific the 375 was in penetration. I asked the obvious question. "Then why do you carry a 470?" he replied: " Gerry, the 375 is a killing gun. The 470 is a stopping gun".

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring
Thanks for the tip on Howard Hunter.
Sounds like you have found your double rifle. It may already be, but be sure the safety is not "automatic" that is, it engages as you open the rifle. Let us know when you get it back and shoot it again. Let me know if you want some info on loads for 350gr. Hawk bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Lemco at the end of May 3 years ago. Be ready for lots of leaves and ticks. 100% Deet worked the best for us and my father still contracted tick bite fever. Our PH gave him some local medicine and he was only out of it for a day.

Be prepared to see 15-25 shootable kudu bulls per day! If you meet a guy named Blondie please tell him hello from the jokers in Montana.

Cheers,
Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring
I just found out I will be hunting with Wayne Edwards

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
N E 450,
I don't know Wayne though I'm sure he's a great guy. HHK seems to really attract the best PH's in Zimbabwe. Not a safari story, but I thought you might enjoy a pic from this morning's hunt. This is my second gobbler of the season:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring
Nice Bird. I have taken one so far. I saw 2 of them about 150 yards away, and stalked to within 37 yards and shot one offhand with my new Blaser K-95 Stutzen in 308. I hit him high in the back near the neck. No Breast damage, and more important, no damage to the heart liver or gizzard, my favorite parts.
Let us know when you shoot the 470 again.