New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and Cons of taking one rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm certain this has been discussed ad nauseum in the past, but since I'm new here, I will ask anyways. Perhaps someone can point me to an old thread, or we can just discuss guns for awhile (isn't that what we all live for, anyways)?

My question: Is it smart to take just one gun to Africa?

Of course, the qualifications:

- Game hunted will be your typical Namibia plains bag of Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, Zebra, and possibly Eland or Leopard.

- My primary rifle is a terrific Remington .300 Rem Ultra Mag (I got the first LSS 300 RUM in Texas back in 1999 [Razz] ). It is light, handy, shoots like a dream, and I have tremendous confidence in it.

- I don't own anything 'larger.' If I did take a second, it would be a Model 70 Safari Express in .375, which I don't own yet and won't have a chance to shoot that much on game before next summer.

My thoughts are that the 300 will be plenty of gun, but then I see my own moniker, "Use Enough Gun..." While a 30-06 is more than adequate for all the animals listed, my own personal hunting philosophy is to have enough gun to be effective given the worst possible scenario.

I already have a back-up scope to take, and will also take a second bolt assembly (although the change in headspace will likely impact accuracy). Perhaps it would be wise to take a second trigger assembly as well? BTW, I am competent to install and service all of the above, if you're worried about safety.

To answer any questions ahead of time, I'll be shooting 180 gr Partitions or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I've taken a dozen or so big game animals with the Partitions (man I wish they'd make a bigger exit hole).

Look forward to your ideas!

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about the extra bolt or trigger assembly. I may not even worry about the extra scope. If push came to shove, I wouldn't hesitate to borrow my PH's spare rifle.

When I went to Africa I ended up taking far too much stuff. Primarily in the way of clothes. I left several T-shirts and socks for the trackers. That seemed to really go over well with them. I also took too much ammo. Somehow, the stuff that I had left over got lost along the way. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TT:

I just got back from a one rifle (and one shotgun) hunt in Africa. I would have no problems or real concerns with taking just one rifle for the type hunt you are doing. Your main risk is baggage loss/misplacement and if that happens you'd just have 2 rifles lost anyway. And, while the back up scope is good insurance (consider Talley QD rings with a set on both and prior sight in for the back up), I don't really consider that necessary either. If push comes to shove, you can always use the PH's or a "camp" rifle.

As far as bullets go, I used Nosler Partitions too, and they worked well, but I am considering TBBC, Swift A frames, or Barnes X's pretty much in that order for my next trip. Hope this helps.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob:

Great minds.....
quote:
If push came to shove, I wouldn't hesitate to borrow my PH's spare rifle.

quote:
If push comes to shove, you can always use the PH's or a "camp" rifle.

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Cat,

I saw that, also! If great minds think alike, you are a real pervert! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
So your wife tells me..... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
She would know. Trust me. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trust you, it's your wife I'm worried about. [Big Grin]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Okay... you are right up one of my lines... you WILL need parts...

check the headspace on the new bolt, and if it's safe, see how it shoots different.... might just get lucky.

take the trigger, and plan on leaving it there...

best of luck

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I have always thought that the answer to your tag line was "Because sheep can hear a zipper a mile away!" [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch, you are more perverted than EVEN your wife knows.... [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob and Gatogordo...

Hope you boys don't live too close together there in Texas..... I can hear the guns cocking from up here.... [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cengel:

Absolutely all in complete fun...... [Wink]
just the way some Texas "class acts" jest. [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
The only "class act" in Texas moved to Filer, Idaho. [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

I'd be reluctant to take one rifle. The last thing I'd want to do is use someone else's rifle, on any hunt.

[ 07-01-2003, 23:24: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeoso, why do you say leave the trigger there?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's far to handy a thing to bring home, as someone else might also have the need... and for 50 bucks, it might make a nice tip...

besides, if I was the ph, it would be all i could do not to beg all your rifle parts from you

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ah...that's a good point. Thanks for the tips!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd always take two, for one thing you're missing an important point, you don't have a 375 yet. Obviously, you need to take two, one needs to be a 375, so you have just made an ironclad reason (not excuse) to buy a new rifle. Your wife will understand that everyone here says you need two, so you must purchase another one. You must hone your skills in finding reasons for a new rifle. I'm in the process of finding a .416 since I'm planning a buffalo hunt, I have a .375 (actually two), but I explained to my wife I need one with some irons in case I need a close up rifle. I'm not sure if she bought the line or not, but I'm sure I need to take two with me just in case. Besides, the cost of a new rifle is minor thing when factoring in the cost of an entire hunt that would be ruined if yous failed. In all seriousness, I wouldn't want to be replacing triggers, scopes, etc. when I'm supposed to be hunting. I did take a spare scope in Leupold QR lever mts. pre sighted in with me. If you take one, you are guaranteed to never need one.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Taking on rifle is a good way to go for some safaris, but not for others.

I've taken just one rifle on a couple of occasions. For plainsgame-only hunts (leopard included) you can get by real well with a .300 Winchester or something like it. You can get by with a .375 H&H as your only rifle on a combination hunt that includes plainsgame and buffalo.

On a long 21-day safari that includes plainsgame, lion, leopard, and buffalo (up to three) plus maybe elephant, I'd rather take a plainsgame rifle (.30-06, 7mm magnum, .300, .338) plus a big-bore such as a .416 or .458 of some sort.

I always take an extra scope or two, no matter what........

AD

posted Hide Post
I took "one" gun on my first African safari in 2001---a Blaser R93 with barrels in .375 H+H and 7MM magnum.

(I put "one" in quotes above based on the "good-natured" ribbing the Blaser gets on this site... Some may think even a Blaser with TWO barrels doesn't count as one whole gun...)

The .375 H+H was for Buffalo and the 7MM for Plains Game....or at least that was the plan.

As things worked out....I didn't get a shot at a Buffalo until the morning of the last day of a ten-day hunt....so I was carrying the Blaser with the .375 H+H barrel on it the entire time.

So when an Impala stuck his head up out of the brush at 85 yards (Day 5) and a 54" Kudu stepped into view at 180 yards (Day 7).....they both went down to the .375 H+H.

And on that final morning of the ten-day hunt, after a tense 90-minute stalk through dense mopane and brush, I got my shot at the Buffalo....no more than 30 yards away...and about all I could see of him was a foot-square patch of graying Dagga Boy hide....but his shoulder was in that patch....

So, I guess I went to Africa with one gun and was lucky...it didn't get lost or damaged or break.

Other hunters on that trip had their share of problems. One lost the magazine to his .300 Win Mag and had no spare....it became a single shot....but he was able to borrow a rifle from another hunter.

Another had the odd problem of bullets backing out of the .416 Rigby ammo causing powder to fall into the trigger assembly and jamming it....took us a while to figure out powder grains were causing the problem and clean it out.

That same gun travelled to Africa in a Tuffpak and was extensively padded...but the case was dropped so hard (thrown?) somewhere along the way that the scope eyepiece was bent down at a steep angle. A spare scope from another hunter saved the day...but we spent part of the morning boresighting and then back on the range to make sure.

Everything worked out on this trip for all concerned....but "stuff" happens....and thanks to the kindness, foresight and experience of other hunters we've all got some good stories to tell.

(In three weeks, I'm going to Zimbabwe with one gun again. This time an Ed Brown Bushveld in .416 Remington.)

Posts: 8 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In my line of work, we train for the worst and hope for the best. There is virtually no difference between a 2 and a 1 rifle case ( except weight of course!). I've NEVER had a gun fail me on a hunting trip ( oh, oh, I think I just jinxed myselfSmiler. If an expensive hunt is on the ticket, I'm taking two rifles. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TT:

If the rifle you are considering taking has sights, then you might consider taking a Talley QD peep sight which has to be custom fitted to the specific mounts on the rifle by Talley. But it is light and small and could easily be used as a "scope" backup.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still planning my first trip and have been agonizing over the same question. I know I would like another rifle just to...well, have a new rifle. Then I tell myself that what I would spend
is about the same as a trophy fee for another animal. Until I find the Money Tree I gotta think like that.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great reading here...

Tokyo, I don't own a Blaser, but I've sold some and I think they're about the cat's meow for a rifle, if you can get over your pre-conceived notions about what a gun aught to be. [Wink]

Borealis, I'm with you. I think about that second rifle, and think, "would I rather do that or have that zebra hide made into a rug, or try for an even BIGGER kudu if I collect one early." Unfortunately, I must make rational decisions concerning such trade-offs, like you.

I think I can distill the issue a bit. Some may disagree, but I don't think I need another gun just for more firepower. I think the 300 RUM will be adequate for the animals on my list. The additional rifle would be a back-up only.

So, the question is, do you take another rifle, or take the stuff to fix yours, or do neither and just take a chance. It was mentioned about 'fixing your gun when you should be hunting.' I don't think that's a big issue, as you can replace the striker assembly, trigger group or scope on a Remington in under an hour (including sight-in).

Man, the thought of having some PH hand me his "extra" military-issue 7x57 Argentine as we leave out for Kudu makes me shudder.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
For my trip I took a 35 Whelen for my plains game and a 458 Lott for my dangerous game. In effect, I only took one rifle for each type of hunting. If you feel more comfortable taking some form of back-up, be it parts or another rifle, I would be inclined to take a complete rifle that I was confident in.

By taking only parts, you are making the assumption that you are taking replacements for what will break. What if it is your stock that breaks, etc....

[ 07-02-2003, 21:23: Message edited by: Longbob ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the two rifle camp. I would much rather hunt with my own rifle that I am familar with. On a DG Plains Game hunt where I took a specific rifle for each I would be sure and take 10 or so solids just in case my big gun went down. In Longbobs case a 35 Whelen with a 250 or 300gr solid would work for buff in a pinch.
My 2 rifle battery will consist of my 450 No2 and my 9,3x74R Chapuis double [with scope in QD mounts]. I will have some solids for the 9,3 just in case, and I have killed enough whitetail deer and wild pigs with the 450 No2 that I could get all my plains game with it assuming I could get to within 150 yards or so.
I just think it is always a good idea to take 2 rifles.
If you do not own any other rifles just go to Wall Mart get a Rem 700 in 30-06 a 4x Leupold, sight it in with 180 Nosler Federal Premium, practice with it a little and there you go, spare rifle. [Big Grin]
If you want a more compact package get a Rem Mod 7 in 308, take the action out of the stock and the two parts will fit in a Boyt takedown shotgun case.

[ 07-02-2003, 22:03: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I just returned from RSA and took two guns; a 30.06 and a 375H&H. The .06 didn't make it out of the case.

But it was there if I needed it.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My dad and I are going next summer and have decided to make it a two-man, three-rifle safari. We'll each take our primary, and I'm throwing in a spare rifle and a shotgun to share. I figure we have all our bases covered. I think if I was going alone, I would opt for two rifles if there was no wing-shooting to be had. If there were birds in the mix, I would probably carry a rifle and a shotgun and rely on the PH's rifle as a backup.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really boils down to the odds. I think the odds are quite long, well into the 1000 to 1 or higher area that your rifle, which you have used and are familiar with, will break anything while on your hunt. The odds are probably at least that high that your rifle case won't be lost by the airlines, but if it is, one, two or three rifles won't help, they'll all be lost.

So, is the 1000 to 1 chance that something breaks and you will almost certainly have a decent rifle from the PH (your idea of a used argentine 7x57 is mostly fantasy, and if it is one, it is extremely likely that it has killed more game than you have ever seen, why wouldn't it kill one more?)worth the costs of carrying a second rifle that you really don't want to buy or use anyway? The logical answer is no, but some people want to have belts, suspenders, and carry a spare length of rope in case both of them break. My PH had a custom 300 WM that shot 1/2 inch groups as his plains game back up, so would I use it? Of course.

Take two if you want, insurance is never a bad thing, but it is usually not necessary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TrademarkTexan - there are plenty of people that would shudder as well, should their Argentine Mauser be lost by an airline, and the PH offer them a Remington 700 [Smile] Especially since someone had gone to the trouble of rebarreling the Argentine to 7x57.

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that most of us have rifle cases that will take more than one rifle. The added weight of an extra rifle is neglible, and having an extra rifle provides not only a back up, but versatility. I have had a rifle screw up on me, and it was the only time I hadn't brought an extra rifle. I was doggone glad that my brother had brought his 7mm mag, but he shorted himself on ammo, not considering that I might have to use it too. (We took one case and two rifles rather than our usual two cases and four rifles.) It was nearly a situation. Take two rifles. Ku-dude

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One is enough for PG but taking a second for back up is good. If you take two don't get caught in the trap of trying to mach the gun to the game you will always have the one you don't want available. The second is only for back up if the first goes south.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting only plainsgame and Leopard then you fine caliber wise, you don't need a 375 and up until you hunt Lions, Buff and elephant...

I always take two rifles. I sure don't want to be shooting some PH's rifle, I've seen too many of them that should have been scraped long ago...

In your case, based on your hunt, I would take a 270, 7x57 or something light as a backup rifle, as opposed to a bunch of parts...

How do you know what will go wrong with a rifle..you take a trigger and the PH runs over your barrel and bends it, or splits the stock, then the extra trigger or scope ain't gonna help all that much, repairing in the field is not good, you can shoot up all your ammo in a heartbeat fixin stuff!!

An extra gun is the way to go....I'm basing that on many years of observation of disgruntled hunters that varied form outright crying fits to extreme fits of temper..I have even heard them curse! [Eek!]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote