THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Age on First Safari? PG/DG? Country?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Age on First Safari? PG/DG? Country?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
42 PG RSA

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
PG
ZIM

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
42 Plainsgame in Namibia. I took my 10 year old son and 67 year old father. We had the time of our lives. I've been back every year since.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Once in Africa a PH told me that Africa is no place for kids and I agree(he wasn`t referring to me,BTW).

Couldn't disagree more! I do agree that a nine year old wouldn't appreciate the experience like an adult would, however.

I can't wait to take my 17, 16, and 12 year old sons to RSA to hunt plains game in 2014.

BTW, I went on my first and only Safari when I was 40 and my wife was 38 (Plains Game in RSA).

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
60yrs, Leopard & PG, Namibia

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically 39. I turned 40 on the flight home. Planned it as one buffalo in Chewore South in Zimbabwe, ended up shooting 3. I wanted to get to Africa before 4-0 and managed to do so, barely...

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
55yrs lion, leopard,buffalo and plains game Chewore South

one of us
posted Hide Post
Botswana.
PG in Tuli Block.
Buffalo and Red Lechwe in Okavango Delta.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post

South Africa Plains Game

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
33 - Namibia for PG.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
28 Plains Game Namibia. Planning for the next one as DG for my 40th.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Once in Africa a PH told me that Africa is no place for kids and I agree(he wasn`t referring to me,BTW).

Couldn't disagree more! I do agree that a nine year old wouldn't appreciate the experience like an adult would, however.

I can't wait to take my 17, 16, and 12 year old sons to RSA to hunt plains game in 2014.

BTW, I went on my first and only Safari when I was 40 and my wife was 38 (Plains Game in RSA).
Why even bother going to Africa to hunt plains game when you can hunt similar game in North America.Africa is for dangerous game, that is what it is all about,IMO.Anyways,I feel that it is just too young and kids should have there mind on other things at that age(like playing with there friends).However if a kid really wants to hunt he should be allowed to come along for small game at the age of 16 and own his own firearm when he is an adult and can be responsible for his actions.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That would be 3. Cilled me a Bar. On a tree. In Tennessee. Wrote a song about it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
41 for plains game in RSA with Duke Safaris. My first animal was a 29" Nyala and I've been hooked ever since. Looking to return in 2014.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Just shy of my 40th birthday. Tanzania - DG (buffalo) and PG. I skipped over PG hunts in South Africa because I wanted the wild bush with lions, eles, hyenas, etc. I wasnt disappointed. Hyenas outside my tent my first night and got within 20 yeards of a lion my second day. This is Usangu which is now a national park.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

QUOTE]Why even bother going to Africa to hunt plains game when you can hunt similar game in North America.Africa is for dangerous game, that is what it is all about,IMO.Anyways,I feel that it is just too young and kids should have there mind on other things at that age(like playing with there friends).However if a kid really wants to hunt he should be allowed to come along for small game at the age of 16 and own his own firearm when he is an adult and can be responsible for his actions.

I believe that is the most absurd statement I have ever read on AR. Glad you weren't my Dad!!!

I took my boys, ages 6 and 3, to South Africa in May. They loved every minute of it. While my oldest didnt do any serious hunting with me and the PH, he did get to blaze away at guinea fowl and francolins and had a blast. We did sit in a blind by a waterhole a time or two and they loved looking at all the animals that came in.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
33 Dg in Tanzania. That was going to be a once in a lifetime trip.....

And of course that was 5 buff an elephant and a pile o plains game and 6 trips ago.

I'm taking my kids who will be age 17 and 14 to South Africa this summer to let them get started hunting in Africa. They went with me when they were 6 and 3 and they have been bugging me to take them back ever since. The little one didn't really remember it to well but the big one was transfixed and keeps the energy level about Africa high in her little sisters mind.

Guys as far as shootaway goes, for those of you who don't know. He is one of the few hunters who requires a short bus, helmet and drool cup when he hits the ground in Africa. Don't pay any attention to him, besides trolling his favorite activity is making over the top ridiculous, nonsensical statements about guns and ammo and hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
33 Dg in Tanzania. That was going to be a once in a lifetime trip.....

And of course that was 5 buff an elephant and a pile o plains game and 6 trips ago.

I'm taking my kids who will be age 17 and 14 to South Africa this summer to let them get started hunting in Africa. They went with me when they were 6 and 3 and they have been bugging me to take them back ever since. The little one didn't really remember it to well but the big one was transfixed and keeps the energy level about Africa high in her little sisters mind.

Guys as far as shootaway goes, for those of you who don't know. He is one of the few hunters who requires a short bus, helmet and drool cup when he hits the ground in Africa. Don't pay any attention to him, besides trolling his favorite activity is making over the top ridiculous, nonsensical statements about guns and ammo and hunting.
Thanks for the introduction,strikeout.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 years, PG, Namibia

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
53 - Buff and Tuskless.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
36 PG RSA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
44 - PG in RSA. A hunt won in one of the Dream Raffles at the 2003 DSC show. By the time that the hunt was over it was most expensive "free" thing that I ever won, and the best.

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
35. Plains game in war torn Zimbabwe. 1982..

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 PG in Zambia.

Shootaway does sound a little nuts ha. I've wanted to hunt Africa since I was a small child. The game is not that similar to NA species at all and I guess bongo or LDE must not be worthy of your attention. I paid for my first rifle (a brand new .270) with money I had saved up from cutting lawns when I was 14. Too bad you have to be an adult to appreciate things. Each to their own though.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why even bother going to Africa to hunt plains game when you can hunt similar game in North America.Africa is for dangerous game, that is what it is all about,IMO.Anyways,I feel that it is just too young and kids should have there mind on other things at that age(like playing with there friends).However if a kid really wants to hunt he should be allowed to come along for small game at the
age of 16 and own his own firearm when he is an adult and can be responsible for his actions.

I don't really care about your opinions. If you can't realize there is a difference between hunting "similar" in NM or Africa, you're either trolling or off your rocker.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
43, buff hunt in the Luangwa Valley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish shootaway would just goaway.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hear hear...

Nice to see a post from you Kim. Been a bit...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT post Kim!
My boys have been shooting & handling guns since pre-school.
They are now fine young men with great careers & have not needed any liberal counciling to help them recover from their upbringing.
I'd much rather have had my boys out in the woods with pellet guns or 22's than playing video games.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
34 RSA Northern Cape for Plains Game.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
GREAT post Kim!
My boys have been shooting & handling guns since pre-school.
They are now fine young men with great careers & have not needed any liberal counciling to help them recover from their upbringing.
I'd much rather have had my boys out in the woods with pellet guns or 22's than playing video games.

tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just beat my 40th birthday by 2 weeks, plains game in RSA

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 - Plains Game in South Africa

29 - Buff and Plains game in Zimbabwe

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8 or 9 years old. Plains game. Topi was the largest animal. Usangu, Tanzania. I was fortunate in that our family lived there.

DG hunt booked for 2014 in Zimbabwe. I will be 54. The sabatical is way to long.

Posts: 818 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
31 PG South Africa

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
51 for PG and 54 for DG. Have now planned and put deposits down on Safaris 11 and 12 for 2013 and 2014 respectively. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
51 for PG and 54 for DG. Have now planned and put deposits down on Safaris 11 and 12 for 2013 and 2014 respectively. Big Grin

You go gettem my friend...Congratulations...work hard play hard tu2

Safe hunting always

Roland tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

PG

RSA

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just shy of 29 on my first trip. It was for Plains Game in RSA.

I was 32 for my first DG trip for buffalo in the Zambezi Valley of Zimbabwe.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote