THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Live Reports From Our Safari In Tanzania
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Reports From Our Safari In Tanzania
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

We met Chris and Nelson at the First Class lounge at Dubai airport, had breakfast together, and boarded our flight to Dar. It took just about 5 hours, during which we had lunch - except Walter! He was sitting next to me, and decided not to have lunch. When mine came, he decided to share it with me! The lady asked him if he wanted lunch.

"No thank you. I just don't want him to eat too much. He should not get too fat. He has to chase buffalo up Mount Kiliminjaro"

She said "Aah, you are going to climb Mount Kilimanjaro?"
I said "Ignore him please, not all the wheels between his ears ara functioning properly!"

The pursor was listening to this conversation, and he knew we were travelling with guns. So he said "You are going hunting! I love hunting"

Walter "Not the sort of hunting he does. He has friends from Zimbabwe who are nuts. He goes with them every year. They are all mad. They use a very powerful gun. If you can shoot it, then I would know you are a real hunter"

Pursor "I would love to shoot it! But I cannot go hunting with you"
Walter, opening his National Geographic back pack, and getting a Champions DVD "You can have this, You will see what happens to people shooting this gun. And if you give me your phone number, we will call you when we come back ande you can shoot it"

Pursor " Thank you very much! I would love to do that"
When the pusrsor left, Walter said "I got you anothet VICTIM. I will tell him he can bring his friends too. Ha ha ha this is going to be fun"

Me "Can I have my lunch now? In peace and quiet please?"
Walter "Go on and eat. I will have a llittle sleep"

The flight took about 5 hours, and Donald was waiting for us at the airport. He took our passports, to be propcessed, and led us to the laggage belt. We collected all our bags, and got through customs. All this took just a few minutes, and we headed over to our charger flight. Again, a few minutes all it took to load our stuff, and and off went went.

And hour and a half later we landed at our bush strip, where Alan, Roy, Wayne and Paul were waiting for us. The drive to camp took about 30 minutes, where Rene and Leoni were waiting for us with cold towels and cold drinks.

Had a great 3 course dinner, and we all hit the sack. The plan is to wake up at 5.30, sight our rifles, and head out hunting.

I woke up at 4.00, and decided to write this report, and get unpacked and ready for breakfast.

Well, we had our breakfast, and went out and sighted in our rifles. After that we parted company. Chris and Nelson went off with Paul, Walter and me went off with Roy and Alan.

We saw roan, reedbuck, giraffe, duiker, warhog and zebra. But, we were after buffalo. About 9.30 we saw a herd, and left the truck to see if we could get close. They were in a valley, and the wind was going all over the place. We played what Walter calls "silly buggers" with them. We get as close as 200 yards, then they either see us or smell us. Off they go, with us trying to keep up.

Eventually we got very close to them, about 50 yards, and I managed to shoot two. We had both lying with a few feet of each other.

It was lunch time, so we set our table close by in the shade of a tree, and had lunch while the two buffalo were being skinned and cut up.

We radiod to camp, and another truck was sent to go and put some baits up.

Later in the afternoon, we headed out again, and shot a nice kongoni.
We saw a young sable bull, many warthogs, reedbuck, zebra and giraffe.

We arrived at camp just as the sun was going down.

Chris, Nelson and Paul are still out.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67047 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
thumb Keep them coming!

Next year, Walter needs a PithCam to live stream video!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are off to a fast start.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Saeed and thanks so much for sharing your trips with us.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Poor buffalo that they dont know what is coming next, cant wait to hear the rest of the hunt.

Well done on day 1

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Two buff already? A fast start to be sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Shootin Tex

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I know how close you and Walter are so I am just womdering...does Walter pay for his own hunts or do you foot the bill for him?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Clearly a very good lung shot on the first Buff; where was the other hit?

Enjoy!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Enjoy and be careful!

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Next year, Walter needs a PithCam to live stream video!

I think Bill is on to something!!! Good work Saeed!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What rifles were you and Walter using Saeed? Good hunting to you all. We anxiously await your next report.
Cheers,
David K.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Congratulation to the start of a great hunt and pranks.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Talk about making it look easy!!! I'd consider myself lucky to take one buff on a 7 day trip and you take two on the first day???!!dancing

Very well done and another vote for the PithCam!!!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cry havoc and let loose the buffalo slayer.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding start, Saeed! Keep up the daily reports! Is Walter with you just to shoot the bull, take pics or to really shoot a bull? dancing

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Congrats on the 2 buff. I'm sure you aren't through with them yet. Good luck!!

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead buff everywhere
Congrads

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Saeed, You and Walter got out of town at the right time... I went to the Abu Dhabi Hunting Show yesterday. The first person I saw was your good friend Mark Sullivan!

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are your baits for leopard and/or lion?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Nelson also shot a buffalo today. Apparently they all had a fantastic day out, so we are all off to a good start.

Walter, of course, has been doing nothing but complain about everything under the sun, to the great amusement of us all. He had a bigger backpack than usual with him on the truck. In it he had 4 seperate digital cameras, a video camera, 2 GPS units, 2 Thuraya phones, an Iriudium phone, and - I am NOT making this up, In fact I took photos of it and will post it in my hunt report later on - his iphone, in its plastic case, with 3 seperate SIM cards!!?? I asked him why he brought his iphon to bush.
"mind your own bloody business. And try to hunt buffalo better than you did today. I saw the who episode. It was like watching a National Geographic movie of lions hunting buffalo. Except the lions kill one quicker than you three did"

He actually had a granstand view of what happened yesterday from the back of the truck. Apparently he sat on top of the truck and watched it all with his binoculars! We went after the buffalo as the herd fed up a hillside opposite where he was on the truck. They were going away from him, then after a while they changed direction and turn around, heading the opposite direction. Of course, they passed opposite him, with us behind. His complaint was we did not manage to shoot our buffalo until we rounded the corner, so the finalle was hidden from him.

It is 4.30 on our second day. Breakfast is served at 5.30, and we then head out.

We all breakfast and went our seperate ways. Abou 8 ks from the camp, we came across the fresh tracks of a buffalo bull. When we stopped to have a closer look, we found that he was with several bulls. We were debating how long before us they passed. We decided to give them a go. A few minutes later we found them. They were less than 500 yards from where we stopped the truck. They were feeding in a valley with some high reeds, and the wind wasn't sure which way it wanted to go.

We got to the reeds where they were feeding, we could see the reeds move a few yards from us, but no way to see them. We re-tracted our steps, and went to the other side of the reeds - this was a very narrow valley, but quite long. From the other side of the reeds, we could hear them moving no more than a few feet from us. We decided to go up the hillside, and wait, and try to shoot one as they came out.

Eventually they did coome out - about 50 yards from us. We had a look at them, and as usual, the one we wanted to shoot was partially hidden, as well as another one behind him. We waited. He then moved behind a tree, and I was worried the he might continue in that direction. And I could see that the one behind him had already disappeared.

Luckily he changed direction, and came into the clear. I thought I better drop him in his tracks. I aimed for his neck, and fired. He dropped. The rest of them milled around him for a bit, then ran off. As we usually, do, I fired another shot into the bull.

When we got to him we found him stone dead from the first shot.

We skinned and cut him up, and took him to camp to have lunch.

After lunch we went to put up some baits. After that we drove around looking for a sable. We sae a terrapin, and we stopped to takes photos. While we were doing that, we heard elephants breaking branches close by, and a leopard calling.
We saw some oribi, but none was good enough to shoot - despite Walter screaming that they taste great, and he wants to have a BBQ.

We got back to camp, and found that Nelson has shot a zebra.

Posts: 67047 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Excellent real-time update. clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Since I will most likely not return to Tanzania, I especially enjoy your stories of the camp life. For reasons unknown your statement "
It is 4.30 on our second day. Breakfast is served at 5.30, and we then head out" really brought back memories I will never forget.

Thanks again for sharing, even Walter's adventures Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the updates Saeed. Good hunting.

Posts: 51 | Location: Las Vegas via Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
At this blistering pace, Saeed should shoot about 30 buffalo on this trip.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
At this blistering pace, Saeed should shoot about 30 buffalo on this trip.

If there is enough buffalo permits hopefully ! clap Well done

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Eventually we got very close to them, about 50 yards, and I managed to shoot two. We had both lying with a few feet of each other.

It was lunch time, so we set our table close by in the shade of a tree, and had lunch while the two buffalo were being skinned and cut up.

Ho, hum. You only managed to shoot two? I think you need to have a better lunch, as you seem to be slipping a bit, mate...

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
WTG, Saeed and Nelson! Four buff in two days - I almost feel sorry for the local nyati! thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would avoid hunting any block that Saeed has just hunted. There won't be enough buffalo left for any one else.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This daily update is pretty good but with all his gadgets, why doesn't Walter earn his keep and Twitter instantaneous results from the truck!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In another week One Shot Walter will start his "famous" stroll and slaughter.
Any Walterable animal in his sights, drop dead at the shot!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
The photo of the hartebeest is really fantastic.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

We could have shot a number of the buffalo from the bunch of bulls I shot the third one from, but, we wanted to spread the hunt a bit.
4.30 in the morning, and looking forward to another day of fun. Our camp is quite high, relatively, at 4500 feet. And evenings are rather cold, until last night. Now the temprature is just right, may be a tad warm in the day. Not many mosquitoes, and the tse tse flies aren't as bad as in some areas we have been in in the Selous. They tend to go a bit bersek just as the sun goes down though

May be they are trying to have a last meal before night fall.

Camp life couldn't be any better. Very comfortable, service is exceptional, food is great. Best of all is sharing a camp with friends one has been hunting with for 27 years. Walter is having every one in stitches, and the poor camp staff cannot make head or tails of what is going on.

About half an hour from camp we saw sone buffalo, and ran after them. They took us up a hillside, and we chased them for over an hour, then gave up as they headed downwind.

Back to truck. Not long after this we saw a herd of zebra, and the same thing happened. About an hour of chasing them and getting nothing.

Then we saw a herd of kongoni resting, and Roy crawled up an ant hill and shot one. Walter was very happy that he got something to BBQ.

We cut up the kongoni and hung him up in a tree, to be picked up on the way back to camp.

Just before one, Walter was complaing that he was hungry. We kept telling him no lunch will be served before one. Almost immediately we saw a herd of roan, and we left Walter to suffer his hunger pangs along, and we went after the roan.

There was a wide dry river bed between us and them, and the wind was quartering. We walked on one side of the river, and they on the other. They then got mixed up with some zebra and reedbuck, and the whole bunch seemed to just relax in a thicket. They were too far, and one is hard put picking a good trophy to shoot at because of the thick bush.

We thought we will try to get to their side of the river. There were the usual ant hills scattered around, and our hope was to manuever from one ant hill to another.

We did not know how many animals were making that particular area home. As soon as we manage to avoid a warthog, we see a reedbcuk. As soon as we manage to hide from the reedbuck, we find a warthog or two watching us. Eventually we got to an area where we could keep en eye on the roan. Then a kudu cow comes out feeding about 100 yards frok us. We were all in plain view of her, so remained motionless. Then two warthogs came along with 6 tiny piglets. They came to about 20 yards from us. The adults were feeding, and the little piglets were chasing each other all over the place.

We sat where we were, in the midday heat, for over an hour. We then decided to retrace our steps, and try another way of getting closer to the roan. Very slowly and carefully, we managed to evade all the eyes, and got to about 200 yards from the roan. They were still in the thicket, and one can only see glimpses of patches of skin. No way to tell which is which. The problem was solved when the roan must have sensed someting was wrong, and took off. We ran after them, then decided to give up and go have lunch with Walter.

We got to him at 3, and had a late lunch. There was no end of complaints from him. What is more, he missed his chance at his midday siesta too!

After lunch we heade out again, to a couple of springs we thought might have some sable around.

We got to the springs, and left Walter in the truck about a kilometer from the springs. He had a Garmin Rhino radio, and we were supposed to call him if shot anything, or for them to come pick us up.

At teh springs we found three kudu bulls, but they had already had their drink, and were in the bush. They saw us before we could get a chance at a shot at one of them.

We called Walter. No answer. We kept calling him. Still no answer. We walked back to the truck, and discovered that his lordship had set each radio to a different chanel!!?

We heade back to camp, and on the way we were going to pick the meat we had hung earlier.

We collected our meat, and found that a genet had eaten a but from it.

The sun was already down.

Six kilometers from camp, we saw a young leopard walkijg along the road. We stopped, and it did not seem to be unduly bothered by our presence. It just walked right becides us, and I managed to take a few photos despite the late hour.

Back to camp.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Another outstanding day in Africa.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Smiler Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
The daily reports are working great and the pictures you are posting are good quality your connection must be great this time Saaed. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
The reports and photos are great.

Thanks

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You think perhaps you got that first one in the lungs?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great picture of the leopard!

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to make the posts. i could feel the eyes watching as you were making the stalk on the roan.

tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote