Find
Notify
Tools

First Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of good options in Namibia. There is no disputing that.

My favorite option is in Botswana though. Tholo Safaris is worth looking into.

Do a google search on the hunt section and shoot me an email and I will send you the price list. Very competitive on prices, and very few can beat their Kudu numbers and quality (I have never seen better anywhere).

Call or email with any questions.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
There are a ton of good options in Namibia. There is no disputing that.

My favorite option is in Botswana though. Tholo Safaris is worth looking into.

Do a google search on the hunt section and shoot me an email and I will send you the price list. Very competitive on prices, and very few can beat their Kudu numbers and quality (I have never seen better anywhere).

Call or email with any questions.

I booked my first safari through Wendell... He knows his stuff

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JustinLo1,

Your post is just like the one I posted in summer of 2011. I was like you, my first Safari to Africa and I didn't want to mess it up. I knew that this would be my one and only Safari because at the time of my hunt I was 73 years old, but I would go back in a heart beat.
I started asking about South Africa and Namibia. The vast majority of replies, since it was my first African hunt, was Namibia.
With Namibia my country of choice I started looking at Outfitters.
After much research and questions back and forth, I settled on Omujeve Hunting Safaris. I booked a 7 day, 7 animal Plains Game hunt for the last week of May 2013.
We hunted two areas with each area in excess of 150,000 acres and game everywhere. I took Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Mountain Zebra, Oryx, Blesbok, Springbuck and Impala.
Omujeve is top notch in accommodations, food and treating you like family.
I have great respect for Corne and Nick Kruger who own the place. These guys are so great that my wife and I are flying to Dallas for one day just to see them at the Dallas Safari Club Expo. in January 2016.

Good Luck
MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was where you are in 2010. I had the good fortune to know personally a couple of guys who had been to Africa more than once, and to more than one country. No substitution for that. Go to DSC or SCI and meet these people face to face. Talk to them frankly and tell them what you expect out of the whole experience. Went with CMS in 2011 to a safari area (Dande-no fences, very few people) because I wanted "wild" Africa, but I also wanted a buff. Got very lucky on plains game as well. Went back to Dande this year in April for ele. Shot a good impala on that hunt as well. Going back with them next June for leopard and buff. I was originally booked for Dande again, but when I found out CMS finally got their permits for Hammond in the Save I jumped at the chance to "upgrade". From what I hear the Save has plenty of plains game with enough dangerous game to get the full experience. WARNING: HUNTING AFRICA CAN BE EXTREMELY HABIT FORMING AND HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT (but the memories are worth every penny-I think about Africa literally at least once every day). Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 486 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EddieWalker:

There are very few native animals left in Namibia. Most have been brought in from other places and raised behind high fences. The ranches are huge and it's easy to go several days without seeing a fence. There are some animals outside the fences now and the numbers are increasing, but it really depends on who you hunt with as to what you might find outside the fence. In both my safaris, I hunted fenced and outside the fence taking more animals outside the fence. A good outfitter will go where the animals are and where you will get the best chance at the biggest trophy. If you want to turn down a monster inside the fence so you can shoot a smaller one outside the fence, that is always your choice.

I have to disagree with this statement about "few native animals left in Namibia". Where I hunt south of Kamanjab, there are TONS of free roaming wild critters, so much so that driving at night is dangerous. There are some high fence ranches, but where I hunt in northern Namibia, MOST are low or no fence. By "low fence" I mean smooth one meter high three strand wire fences designed to contain cattle. Where there are sheep or goats, there will be three foot high woven wire fences that wild critters can jump over with no effort.

As to the posters that recommend going to SCI or DSC shows to talk with safari companies, be aware that many of the top safari companies don't attend these shows because they have so much repeat business, they don't need to go to the considerable expense. I also must disagree with having to use a booking agent. If you're dealing with a reputable Namibian or RSA PH, you don't need an additional chunk of money going to a third party. I know booking agents advertise that their services don't add any cost to the hunter, which may be true, but many smaller Namibian or RSA PH's don't use booking agents because it lessens their profit.

Lastly, I neglected to mention the gourmet food that Mariesje du Plessis serves at Sebra. She could hold her own against any Michelin starred restaurant that I've eaten at in Paris or the USA.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1384 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Private message sent.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote