New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure this topic has been hashed and rehashed...but I'm ready to do this. I've been on a few guided big game hunts out West, but have always wanted to go to Africa and think that should be the next hunt that I plan. I am thinking Namibia is my best bet, but am open to any suggestions. I want to hunt plainsgame only (for my first trip), and would like to hunt kudu, Impala, warthog, gemsbok (I know if I decide to hunt South Africa instead this probably won't be on the list), and probably more. Any suggestions on outfitters? Also, I'm thinking either a 7- or 10-day hunt, hunting 1x1, I'm a little handicapped by how much time I can take off at one time, but I'm pretty sure I can swing this long at least. Is there much advantage to booking a package deal vs. booking a safari based on days hunted and just paying trophy fees as you hunt?How much do you guys think I should budget from door to door for this hunt, excluding taxidermy (being my first safari I am planning on getting most of the trophies mounted, though). Anyway, this is all pretty exciting for me and overwhelming at the same time, so I am looking forward to any advice you guys that have "been there and done it" can give me. What mistakes did you guys make when planning your first safari? Anything that is different from booking North American hunts? I will probably look to book the hunt for 2017, because I do have a hunt planned for next year in WY, but if a swinging deal comes along in 2016, I could probably make that happen, as well. Thanks in advance, I'm very excited to start this whole process!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
1. Namibia is the best (and probably most reasonably priced) destination for a first PG safari in my opinion. Plenty of good options out there but Westfalen Safaris is top shelf. http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/ Our own Greg Brownlee books for them. Truly good people, great area, lots of game.

2. 10 days is best. It's a long bunch of flights for just a week.

3. I would go a la carte rather than a package unless Westfalen is running a serious deal. Count on $300-$350 a day plus posted trophy fees for the species mentioned, plus flights, plus car rental/petrol (trust me, this is better than transfers), plus maybe an extra species or two, plus maybe a tour around Etosha and a couple days lodging and food. Figure what, about $12,500 or so all in and if you are careful you will come home with some change and not feel like you are cutting your budget too close while there.

4. When it comes to taxidermy, I would go strictly rugs and skull mounts. In the long term, you won't appreciate them any less and it leaves you money for the next hunt.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tendrams said it all. I would vote for SA as it is larger and more choices as to game and PHs. It also cuts off one extra flight, one day of travel, one hotel night, etc. The up side is Namibia is smaller and safer and you can see more. I hope you spend a few days seeing what ever country you are in to take in the sights, see the people, shop, etc.

Costs are: daily rate, trophy fees, hotel and meals before and after, shipping, dip and pack, taxidermy, freight, tips (there are 12 million pages on tipping here on AR!), and air fare.

An open hunt, compared to a package deal, is best as you are more free to pick and chose your animals.

Shop around and get references as there are a few bad apples out there. Most, however, are good. After taking three years off from hunting overseas I will be in SA for a plains game hunt this July. I've been with the same PH here four times now, he is retired and free lance. To me this is a good thing as he can shop around for better prices and we hunt several ranches. I see more of the country this way, and get a good saving on trophy fees (one ranch may have surplus kudu and their price is low but their nyala may be high so we move on for that one, etc.). I will be paying a daily rate of 200-250 per day and have been with the same gent since 2002.

What to take? Travel light. Rifle and ammo, all paperwork and documents, meds, toiletries, 2-3 changes of clothes (laundry is done every day) for warm weather and a jacket for cool nights, camera, binocs, knife (although you'll never use it) etc.

If you are interested in any of my details, PM me and I will give you the PHs name and contact details. He has been a PH for 45 years and can track as well as any black tracker.

What ever you do, take lots of pictures and if the question ever comes into your head, " should I do this", do it and you'll never regret it.
Good luck,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look really hard at Bubye Valley Conservancy, any of the PHs that are allowed to hunt there will do you a great job, or the Save with either Mokore or CM. The price will be a little higher but you will see the Big 5, lots of lions in the BVC, rhinos and the plains game is unbelievable. The experience is well worth the little extra cost. Being your first safari, be careful looking at the less expensive. You can also workout some fishing. TAKE IT ALL IN.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
The others have given you good advise. Just too add to Bama15 post. I will add this.

What is your vision of an African hunt?

If you dream of wild Africa with lions and elephants present. You might not be happy with a ranch hunt. I was not! I started planning my return on the way home.
Also spend a lot of time reading in the hunting reports section. It might give you a better prospective on what type of hunt you want to go on.

P.S. the search button is your friend. There is all the info you could ever need right at your finger tips.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia is best for plains game in my opinion.

Give yourself ten days of hunting and a day on each in in country to relax after the long flight. It's not expensive to stay or eat there.

I do skull mounts and have received many compliments even from non hunters.

Walk a lot before you go and be in shape it will add to the enjoyment of your hunt.

Make a set of shooting sticks and practice from them often you must get your shot off relatively quick.

Take two cameras and ask your PH to take shots of you along the way.

Enjoy your hunt and the memories that you will always have of it. PRICELESS !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt Zim or any of the other areas where a lot of the Big 5 are present. I always figured it would be a lot more expensive between getting there, getting trophies back, and the daily rates seem higher (trophy fees maybe too?), though. I also figured since no one seems to go once- when I return for my second safari (I think way too much about this)- I would go to one of those areas for buffalo, maybe even tuskless? Is there any chance of hearing wild lions roar in Namibia? As silly as that sounds- I'd love to hear that! I don't have very deep pockets to kill a truckload of game, but it seems like Namibia has a good variety of game to choose from and the prices are reasonable enough for me to at least get my fix of Africa that I have been dreaming of for 19 years (when I read my first African hunting book). Again- any advice on outfitters in Namibia or elsewhere would be appreciated, I know there are a ton of good ones out there, I just don't want to get stuck with a bad one on my first trip. Thanks again so far, guys- I love hearing from people that have been there and done it!

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I do not have the experience of most on AR, but the wife and I did our first safari in Namibia this year. After much research and asking a lot of questions, we hunted with http://otjandauehuntingsafaris.com/

We were very happy and will return to hunt with them again in the future. Added bonus is the property borders Erindi game preserve where you can visit to see elephants, lions, wild dogs, etc. Also, Janet does taxidermy. It was nice to be able to look at her exceptional work and talk in the evenings at our own leisure about how we want the trophies prepared.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of good information already posted. Depending on you budget and time schedule Namibia is a awesome choice but, more cost involved as Cal said. My wife and I did our first safari in 2010 (RSA). The area we hunted had 4 of the Big 5 and actually had lions roaring in the distance on my first stalk. We also had three Leopard sightings during daylight hours. Do diligent research on outfits to find what you are looking for.

We did a open package with some flexibility on animals. I'm glad I did. Had a Nyala as a possible animal and took a beauty on the stalk I mentioned above. Just over 29 inches and that was my very first African animal.

Take lots of pictures and I would recommend having a video camera or having some film your trip. The wife and I always watch our video a couple times a year.

Taxidermy. We had everything shipped back and done in the U.S. The shipping and tannery cost caught us by surprise so, please be aware of that. We hunted RSA again in 2014 and were shocked how much dip/pack and shipping have risen. It seems like everyone has their hand in the pocket. The price was the same as in 2010 for only half the number of animals (4 instead of 8). We tentatively have started planning our next trip and highly doubt we will bring anything back. Honestly believe the pictures and videos will have greater memories than something on the wall.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Good luck and don't try and do everything on the first trip. If you are hooked like most of the people you'll can't wait to go back.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
My thinking was very similar for my first safari. I chose Namibia because everything I read and was told, you will find better Kudu and Gemsbok in Namibia then anywhere else. I'm not saying the world records come from there, but in my opinion, if you want a Kudu over 50 inches, odds are a lot better that you will see a lot of them in Namibia, while depending on who you hunt with and how much you spend, you might never see a 50 inch Kudu in SA. Same thing with Gemsbok. Odds are much higher that you will find a lot of them close to 40 inches and a few over 40 inches there, but good luck finding anything close to that in SA.

I hunted with Peter Clausen of Okosongoro. His prices are reasonable, he hunts his own 30,000 acre property, his wife's families land and other properties for close to 100,000 acres of land. He is the first PH there to have black rhino and elephant on his properties. He has the largest herds of Sable and Roan, plus dozens of other species. He is huge, but he runs a family operation where you will be the only one in camp and you eat your meals with his family.

Every year he goes to SCI in either Reno or Las Vegas. I went there about half a dozen times and would have dinner with him and some of the other Namibia outfitters that where there. From what I've been able to observe, they are all a great group of PH's that all know each other, and they all get along with each other. I've never heard one talk bad about another, and instead, they all talk about helping each other out and doing favors each other. There doesn't seem to be any competition between them that I ever saw. Namibia is one probably the best country to go to and not get screwed over.

I've also hunted plains game in South Africa because there are some animals there that you cannot get anywhere else like the Vaal Rhebok. Which turned out to be my very favorite hunt of everything I've hunted in Africa!!!!

I would suggest looking up every website you can find, comparing prices, accommodations, number of other hunters there, and just an overall feel of what you think you will enjoy. Find out who is going to be at a hunting show near you and go meet them. I think that's important too. Some people just rub me the wrong way, others I enjoy being around and lose track of time talking to them.

Figure out what you want before you go. And most importantly, how much it will cost to get your animals home. I would strongly suggest not getting your mounts done in Africa. I've never seen one in person that was any good. Both there and people who have had them shipped back. I've seen too many at my taxidermist who is trying to fix them, but usually all he can do is touch up paint, or cut off the horns for you and through away the rest of it.

On my last trip to SA, I had 12 animals shipped back for mounts including two full hides. Total cost ended up being $4,500 by the time it was all said and done. You might save a little not shipping capes, but not a lot. And why shoot an african animal just for the horns, their faces are so amazing. Just look at a gemsbok set of horns and then a picture of it's face and try to imagine never seeing that on your wall? Not me, I went into debt for years to pay off my taxidermist!!!!

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
1. Namibia is the best (and probably most reasonably priced) destination for a first PG safari in my opinion. Plenty of good options out there but Westfalen Safaris is top shelf. http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/ Our own Greg Brownlee books for them. Truly good people, great area, lots of game.

2. 10 days is best. It's a long bunch of flights for just a week.

3. I would go a la carte rather than a package unless Westfalen is running a serious deal. Count on $300-$350 a day plus posted trophy fees for the species mentioned, plus flights, plus car rental/petrol (trust me, this is better than transfers), plus maybe an extra species or two, plus maybe a tour around Etosha and a couple days lodging and food. Figure what, about $12,500 or so all in and if you are careful you will come home with some change and not feel like you are cutting your budget too close while there.

4. When it comes to taxidermy, I would go strictly rugs and skull mounts. In the long term, you won't appreciate them any less and it leaves you money for the next hunt.

All of the above advise is excellent. Consider Kowas Safaris as well. They are top knotch.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Some good info from TenDrams and Cal. I was in the exact same boat as you back in early 2012, planning for my first African Safari (at the age of 65). After LOTS of research of both RSA and Namibia, I settled on Namibia.I looked at over a dozen Namibian operators, and the clear winner was Sebra Hunting Safaris near Kamanjab. I since have hunted three times with Sebra. Here is a synopsis of my 2015 hunt:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1021092212

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Here are some of my animals from July 2015

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I went in 2005, hunted in the Khomas mountains and the Kalahari. I had a very bad outfitter, shot a lot of species and had great time. I thought I would end up in a shallow grave a couple times, but that was the laziness of the outfitter and hunt problems not so much the country.

Namibia is a wonderful place, you will see wildlife the moment you land. Don't let the fact that you will be hunting a ranch in Namibia sway you. Namibian ranches are like Ranches in Wyoming. A good deal of them are unfenced.

Ranches in South Africa can be both high and low, but the majority are high fenced.

The smartest thing you can do, is not spend very much on taxidermy if you already think you are going back plan for skull mounts and a few flat skins and save yourself the drama.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, farm hunts in Namibia are less expensive and on larger acreages than in SA. Trophy fees are typically lower, also. You'll also generally see MUCH more in the way of shootable plains game on a farm hunt than on a hunt in an area where the Big 5 are located, simply because most of those areas are not nearly so well-adapted to plains game so game populations are less.

A Namibian farm may be 50,000 or even 200,000 acres, and may or may not be high fenced, but that makes little real difference since many of the species pay no attention to high fences. Warthogs go through them, kudu go over them, and baboons simply play on them. High fences are usually initially put in place to help establish a game species population, then fall into disrepair when no longer needed.

A farm hunt is usually COMFORTABLE. If you want to sleep in a tent with creepy-crawlies that's just fine, but clean sheets, a shower every night, and dinner at a real table without flies never detracts from a great hunt.

There's something to be said for 'roughing it', and for some of the dangerous game animals a tented hunt is both somewhat romantic and necessary to be in the area you need to hunt. But a farm hunt for plains game lets you concentrate on the hunt, not so much on the process, and can be more satisfying in that respect.

There are several hundred good hunting outfits in Namibia. Some are more or less full time, some combine hunting with raising livestock, and a few actually hunt the wilder conservacies. Most are very good and provide what you pay for. A very few are run by drunks or crooks, so watch for references.

When I get a chance to go back, I'll definitely go with http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/ again. Reasonable prices, delightful people, great hunting.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Dani and Ansie Strauss well, the family owners of Kowas Safaris in Namibia. I have sent quite a few folks there, and they gave it rave reviews. You'll stay in private cottages, and sit around the outdoor fire with sundowners before dinner. If interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason Bridger @ Tholo

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JustinL01
I envy your anticipation of your first safari. I took my first this year to RSA. The feedback that you got from all of the veterans on this site is invaluable. My advice is this: Either Namibia or RSA is a good destination for a first safari. Take at least 10 days, my hunt was 7 days, and went by much too fast. Paying a daily rate with trophy fees is the way to go. You can decide what you absolutely have to have, and then decide on which incidental game that you want. You will probably see game that you want to take that you didn't even consider before you booked your trip. Be flexible, and open minded, and don't let your quest for one particular animal get in the way of enjoying everything that the experience has to offer. If you think you might want a Nyala, hunt SA, and do it ASAP, as the prices are climbing fast. I did, and don't regret it. If you are someone who won't shoot from the truck, make that clear before booking the hunt, a good PH will respect that. Be prepared to work for your game, and you will have a great time. Best of luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia is a great destination for your first or 20th safari. There are plenty of outfitters that will provide a wonderful experience. Some may disagree but I found the help of a good booking agent to be very valuable especially for a first timer. You will most likely have a ton of questions and they'll be able to give good advice and take care of the process for you. Make sure you use a travel agency that specializes in traveling hunters and don't forget a global rescue membership.

You will most likely shoot more animals than you plan and if you need to cut some cost out...taxidermy would be the first to go IMO.

I used this site to plan my first and every hunt after. Spend lots of time reviewing hunt reports.

This hunt will change your life... Cool

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Botswana and Zambia also have ranch hunts. The Botswana Tuli block ranch hunts are priced similarly to South Africa and Namibia. The size of the property is probably bigger.

Zambia's ranch hunts are expensive in comparison, but usually offer things like cape buffalo.

Buffalo and Roan hunts in Burkina Faso and Benin can often be had on fairly cheap prices if you get a cancelation. This is real wild Africa, and if you haven't traveled much will open your brain pretty hard and fast.

I'd hunt Namibia, Botswana's Tuli Block or South Africa and be done with it.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was $5000 in 2005. Was a kudu, 3 oryx, 2 red hartbeast, 2 steinbok, a baboon, a blesbok, about a dozen hyrax, a night of spotlighting springhares & skunks, 2 springbok, a mountain zebra and some birds.

Need to go again soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra was the most underated animal I ever hunted. The kudu was probably the most over rated animal I ever hunted.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Zebra was the most underated animal I ever hunted. The kudu was probably the most over rated animal I ever hunted.

Man that sure looks like a wonderful safari & what a great price,that sure looks like a nice piece of Africa!!

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's possible, I'm envious of your first safari. It's an experience that cannot be repeated. You will be back, but it's just not the same.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if it sucks it will be wonderful. Trust me on this one, I went through it and a lot of people have problems. But there are far fewer dicked up African safari companies than American ones.

Especially Texas, show up, kill it, get the hell off my property.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Check out VanHeerden Safaries. Hentie is a great guy and has some nice animals. My son and I hunted with him a few years ago and had a great time.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you and remember to leave your watch behind.... you will be on African time!

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Good luck to you and remember to leave your watch behind.... you will be on African time!

Fantastic Suggestion.

We left camp sometime between 8 and 9, breakfast was cold cereal (Ooma's Rusk), nonpasturized goats milk, tea and a bit of biltong.

Sometimes we stopped for an hour or so to mend fences. Roll Eyes

Once I saw a absolutely wonderful old man of a bull eland and was told I couldn't shoot him, as he had already been sold to someone in Windhoek.

Tires will become flat, they might be late picking you up from the airport for an hour or so (happened to me).

Just roll with the punches and enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information, guys! Keep it coming too- I'm busily reading hunt reports and making a list of outfitters to contact. I would like to hunt a non high fenced area too, I understand that there will be fences on farms and what not just like where I hunt here, but I would like to know the animals can come and go as they please. Thanks again and it's going to be a long wait for me to get to Africa with this anticipation!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are the curious type, get "Africa: A Biography of the Continent" by John Reader. Has sections on political history, geology, economics, etc. Available hard or soft, new or used. Read a bit at a time-it's thick.

I agree on limiting taxidermy. After 10 safaris I have enough to fill my trophy room twice. Pick one trophy to commemorate your first safari.

Do use a travel agent who specializes in hunters and Africa.

DO have a wonderful trip!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Thanks for all the information, guys! Keep it coming too- I'm busily reading hunt reports and making a list of outfitters to contact. I would like to hunt a non high fenced area too, I understand that there will be fences on farms and what not just like where I hunt here, but I would like to know the animals can come and go as they please. Thanks again and it's going to be a long wait for me to get to Africa with this anticipation!

Gemsbok can be held in by sheep fence. The majority of everything else requires a high fence. Eland and Kudu could hop out of a 9 or 10 foot fence if they wanted to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia and SA are great options but I would second the Zimbabwe Bubye recommendation. A plains game only hunt is very reasonable. Zebra, kudu, eland, waterbuck, jackal, stenbuck, baboon, impala, warthog, and blue wildebeest, are very abundant. You also will see rhino, elephant, lion, and maybe cheetah and leopard. Hearing lion roar at night is a great part of the African experience. I recently hunted with a young PH Mark Bristow and he was terrific. Mark lives on a farm two hours away from the conservancy and knows the area well. Many good choices and none are bad. Your first safari is always the best. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
Namibia and SA are great options but I would second the Zimbabwe Bubye recommendation. A plains game only hunt is very reasonable.

I agree with those who assert that this area might be nice. That said, the practicality of this option might depend on how much the potential client wants a Gemsbok. I recall that they are $3000-$4000 (CORRECTION: $7000 now!) on Bubye for some reason as compared to less than $1000 throughout most of Namibia.

JMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
Namibia and SA are great options but I would second the Zimbabwe Bubye recommendation. A plains game only hunt is very reasonable.

I agree with those who assert that this area might be nice. That said, the practicality of this option might depend on how much the potential client wants a Gemsbok. I recall that they are $3000-$4000 (CORRECTION: $7000 now!) on Bubye for some reason as compared to less than $1000 throughout most of Namibia.

JMHO

I would not go to Bubye or Zim to shoot Gemsbok. I think Save or Bubye would make a great plains game hunt. Its more expensive than South Africa, Namibia or Botswana.

But the big conservancies are special - I think it worth being in them hunting plains game just for the experience.

I think Botswana with Jason Bridger at Tholo will give you one of the best bang for the buck hunts. Tim Herald does a group hunt there.

I would also stay away from all Taxidermy - but that is just me. End of day Taxidermy will add up real quickly.

I got to make a trip to Nambia one of these days. Given most of my future african hunting is going to be plains game with a occasional buff. DG for me is just not worth the money.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:

Be sure to price airfare to where the outfitter will pick you up and if you need to stay in a hotel or not. When I hunted Namibia, the outfitter picked us up in Windhoek the day after we landed, so a hotel was needed.

When I hunted in South Africa, my outfitter picked us up in Bloemfontein, which was a short flight from Johannesburg. They said if I landed in Johannesburg after the last flight to Bloemfontein, that I needed to spend the night in Johannesburg. We didn't want to deal with that, so it was a big deal to find a flight that worked with our schedule and was still affordable. Figure $2 grand on airfare round trip.

Be careful if you have to pay for a charter flight. That could easily double the cost of airfare. I found the best prices on Priceline dot com. The other sites where close, but for some reason, I would find a price and route on Priceline that I didn't find on Orbitz or any other online search. We also like to plan our trips with layovers in new places where we can go sightseeing if possible. It's nice to be able to get out of the airport, get something good to eat and just stretch your legs.

My fist time I brought my rifle and never had any issues. Friends went to that same outfitter the following year and they lost their rifles for a week. Huge pain in the butt and lost time from the hunt going to the airport to get their rifles. I know of others who have also had this happen to in other parts of Africa. When I went to New Zealand and South Africa, I borrowed their rifles. Part of the deal I made when booking those hunts was the free use of their rifles and I would pay for ammo. Both just gave me the ammo. The difference and ease of travel is night and day. Getting use to a new rifle took a little time, but in my experience, they where high quality rifles with great scopes.

There are very few native animals left in Namibia. Most have been brought in from other places and raised behind high fences. The ranches are huge and it's easy to go several days without seeing a fence. There are some animals outside the fences now and the numbers are increasing, but it really depends on who you hunt with as to what you might find outside the fence. In both my safaris, I hunted fenced and outside the fence taking more animals outside the fence. A good outfitter will go where the animals are and where you will get the best chance at the biggest trophy. If you want to turn down a monster inside the fence so you can shoot a smaller one outside the fence, that is always your choice.

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I would also stay away from all Taxidermy - but that is just me. End of day Taxidermy will add up real quickly.

My brother in law is a taxidermist, and my BIL discount is about what I would pay in Africa.

For me flat skins on things like zebras and cats and everything else is a skull mount.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My three plainsgame hunts have been in RSA, Namibia and Zimbabwe (the Save.) Certainly that short resume does not qualify me as an expert, but you did ask for my opinion.

I would not hunt RSA again. Yes, it is comfortable sleeping in the rancher/PH's guest house, but I've done lots of hunts like that in the western US. Yes, you can pick from a list of 30 species to shoot, but only a handful are actually native to the particular area you will hunt. And for me anyway, the notion of hunting specially-bred animals behind a game-proof fence just is not very appealing. I would liken a hunt in RSA to something like a pronghorn or mulie hunt in eastern Wyoming. Not a bad thing at all, just not worth travelling all that way for.

I loved Namibia! I hunted three different areas, an 800,000 acre communal conservancy on the edge of the Namib and two separate farms that were fenced in with three-strand barbed wire. In the conservancy I slept in a tent. Saw elephant and leopard tracks, but no elephants or leopards. Shot the species I wanted, but had to truly hunt for them. (There were no three head of game days on that trip!)

The best was the Save. I hunted plainsgame and got excellent representatives of the species I wanted. The camp was a comfortable chalet, but at night I could still hear lions, leopards and hyenas. I saw many elephants and giraffes, several black rhino, buffalo and lion, all in addition to many species of plainsgame, birds and reptiles. I liked it well enough that I am taking my son hunting there next year for the African hunt I promised him long ago when he was just a little guy and disappointed that he couldn't come with me.

It really depends on what sort of experience you want and what your priorities are: soft accommodations, or "rough?" Lots of different species or only what is native or even endemic? Is the non-hunting part of the trip important or do you just want to concentrate on shooting the species you have selected to chase? Bear in mind that once you add all the various costs up, a 7-10 day plainsgame hunt will not vary just too significantly from one place to the other.

I would also second those who advise the use of a travel agent. I would also highly recommend using an outfitter to book the hunt, as opposed to booking directly with the PH or concession-owner. I have done both. I have not had bad experiences; quite the opposite. It's just that you can communicate much more easily with an outfitter here in the US than with someone several time zones away who may also be out of e-mail contact for weeks at a time.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EddieWalker:
There are some animals outside the fences now

Some? Are you joking? In the northwest the Kudu and Gemsbok were a very legitimate road hazard! Further, I think the Loxodonta Africana conservancy is something like 650,000 acres and unfenced. Place is thick with game....so ya, you could say they have "some". LOL!