Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunting Magazines
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
What African hunting magazines are still available?

I realise that Hatari Times is as good as dead.

What about the African Hunter? And African Fisherman? - I've been trying to find their website without success.

And South Africa's Magnum magazine? I can't seem to find it, either - is it still going and do they have a website?

I'm aware of the African Sporting Gazette, but are there any other magazines worth subscribing to?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bob,

African Hunter and African Fisherman had big trouble with their site and we now carry their web presence on our site at www.shakariconnection.com. You'll find the relevent section here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...hunter-magazine.html I should say we're still waiting for them to send us the fishing content.

If you need to contact them, you'll find their contact details at the bottom of the page.

I think you'll find that Man Magnum magazine don't have a website....... or at least, they never used to.

Hope that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a relatively new magazine called African Outfitter which is pretty good in my opinion.

African Sporting Gazette is no longer sold in South Africa.

Magnum is still going strong as is Tight Lines.

The African fisherman unfortunately is not what it used to be, presumably due to all the problems in Zim - half the size!

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the African Outfitter

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Where would one find subscription info for African Outfitter?

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
You can subscribe to Man Magnum magazine out of RSA at Amazon.com. I did. I buy African Sporting Gazette at Barnes and Noble. Of course, you always have SCI and DSC members' magazines too.

Thanks for the African Outfitter heads-up guys.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter is pretty good IMO...contact info
fishunt@zol.co.zw AR advertises in the magazine too.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I have had a subscription to African Sporting Gazette for several years and find it quite good.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get African Hunter, but the idea of sending my credit card data there is a little spooky.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I subscribed to African Hunter while at Dallas Safari Club Convention. I have had no problem with delivery etc. For me this is no less risky than using my credit card in Dar or Arusha, or Harare. Keep good records and watch your billing closely. My Cabelas Visa has been very good at contacting me with any questionable transactions, fortunately they were all legitimate. I find the magazine very enjoyable. Good luck and good reading.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Badger Matt,

quote:
You can subscribe to Man Magnum magazine out of RSA at Amazon.com.

Thanks for this, however Amazon.com will not ship magazines, on subscription, outside of the USA so I need to find another way to subscribe.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

quote:
African Hunter and African Fisherman had big trouble with their site and we now carry their web presence on our site at www.shakariconnection.com. You'll find the relevent section here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...hunter-magazine.html I should say we're still waiting for them to send us the fishing content.

Thanks for this info and link. I assume that I subscribe by just emailing them and asking to subscribe?

www.cybersafaris.com.au

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Kukhama and A. Dahlgren,

quote:
There is a relatively new magazine called African Outfitter which is pretty good in my opinion.

Thank you both for info on this magazine and it looks great - I think I am going to subscribe to this one.

www.cybersafaris.com.au

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
BwanaBob,

Bummer about Amazon. If you'd like to swap a half dozen or so magazines let me know. I can send a few African Hunter mags and others in exchange for any Australian hunting magazines you might have. Shipping can be a bear, but PM me if interested.

Matt

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hatari Times is by no means dead. Publisher/Editor Harald Wolfe has just had a bad run with serious medical issues recently. First, while wood cutting for the winter last year, the old fashioned way with maule and wedge, he had a razor sharp, bullet sized splinter of steel from the wedge penetrate his upper leg 4" missing the artery by 1/2"...then after a long period of getting worse and worse, like many of us old farts, he finally succumbed to a very serious back surgery to repair disc problems in his lower spine.
At this time, he is not able to do any rifle building which he is a master, sit at the computer to write, or endure 10 hour flights to get back intot he hunting fields he writes about. He has attained his leg strength back and will eventually get back to the gun bench and Hatari Times...Keep the Spirit, he will be back, and as you know, he writes much of the materials from field expereince...not Ney York high rises that lots of the media comes from...its the REAL STUFF!!

I really enjoy African Hunter and African Sporting Gazette. I would not be concerned about sending your CC# BY FAX to thier editorial offices in Zim...they are trustworthy and pretty tough to intercept this. ASG can be subscribed from NY or Ontario Canada sites, no problem. Both can be subscribed to at SCI or DSC conventions too.
I picked up a copy of African Professional Hunter in Walvis Bay, Namibia while cruising last year...great reading on the high seas after a wonderful trek in the Desert!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2568 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

The best way to subscribe to either the African Hunter or African Fisherman is via our main e-mail in Zimbabwe - fishunt@zol.co.zw. Jacqui is the best person to contact. We have had no security issues with credit cards, and these are in fact processed by our Cape Town office by African Sporting Publications. On occasion, transactions have been queried by the credit card company themselves - obviously their standard security practices.

An alternative e-mail is adhunt@mweb.co.za which is in South Africa and the contact there is Mickey. Her fax is more reliable than ours here in Zim, so that is an option too. The number is (+27-11) 3962729.

Alternatively, you can PM me through AR and I will pass the details on to Jacqui, however this interrupts the “paper trail” we like to have in order to track subscriptions accurately.

BwanaBob, if you want to have a look at a couple of recent issues, give me a mailing address and I will get the RSA office to send them along.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kukhama:

Don´t buy that magazine if you are allergic to Tony Sanchez-Arino´s bragging...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote