New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first African animal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tssesebe, 1988 Okavango Delta, Jao Camp, Allistair MacFarlane, Vira Safaris. Best move I ever made in my life! Leaving in 2 months for another injection of the African drug.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Impala for me.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
My first was a 54" Kudu bull, late morning of the first hunting day in Namibia back in 2003. Followed by a nice mountain zebra 2 days later.
5 days and a-wake-up to go before flying back for 15 days in Namibia and then 8 days in South Africa with a list from leopard, eland, waterbok, etc down to nyala, bushbuck in SA

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
An Impala for Leopard bait.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
38" Cape Eland for me, taken with a 358 STA, in 1995.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
A jackal, shooted for free while we were arriving at the first hunting area near Windoek.
the first of 18 animals bagged in that hunting trip.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blesbok ,October 2003, SA.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Warthog

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
First animal was this impala:

Followed by this zebra on the next day:

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boy that was a long time ago, but i believe it was a zebra

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I remember we arrived at Vic Falls from London. My PH pickd us up, and we headed to Rosslyn safaris in Matetsi.

We had lunch, and then went to sight in our rifles.

I had a Ruger 77 in 25-06 Remington, and a Remington Safari in 375 H&H.

After sighting in our rifles, we headed out to hunt.

We found a good waterbuck, which I duly dispatched.

My very first African animal. And I remember it like it was yesterday.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first animal was cape buffalo, 60 years old and was lifetime dream, followed by zebra, if I knew how to post pics I would.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Lion. Since I have hunted alot of North America Big Game I'm not really interested in hunting Plains Game. Going after a Buffalo in three weeks.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Kudu at last light after several failed stalks on gemsbok. Perfect ending to a perfect hunting day. At least until we got a flat tire after dark.

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Warthog taken on the first morning of the hunt in the Kafue region of Zambia. From l. to r., Brown, Jingo, myself and our trusty game scout Dan.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blesbok (good Silver medal) on the first day in travel clothes and with a borrowed Rifle as SAA had lost my luggage. Oh but the second day with all the proper gear 29 1/2" Nyala, man I din't know how lucky I was.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
My first was a Steinbuck my buddy wounded on the way to sight in the rifles (I had to make a 210 yard shot w/ my 375), and the first for my collection was a nice Gemsbuck bull, in RSA, somewhere between Bloemfontein and Kimberley. I was hooked...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Interesting mix and some very nice trophies. I was suprised on my first safari that the PH said we were going after buffalo on the first morning. It was my impression that the normal procedure was to take the client and get him or her blooded on something else before tackling DG. My first was this one on the first afternoon.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was a wildebeest Aug. 5, 1996 hunting with Ronnie McFarlane in business with Johan Calitz operating as Michelleti-Bates. Ronnie wouldn't let me buffalo hunt until I proved I could shoot. We were at Kubu Camp (an island) in the heart of the Okavango Delta. This area is now all photographic. Wow I was young then!!! It seems like yesterday! Sorry for all the photos, but the transportation logistics were impressive for my first trip to Africa.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok, July 07

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

My first, an ivory tipped kudu bull.

Kamanjab, Namibia 107*F, approximately 1300 hours, that's my sporterized 1909 in the back ground.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
This guy was my first African game animal.

He came after a couple of missed shots on Zebra, so it really took the pressure off.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Warthog in Namibia

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warthog - South Africa

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
A caged lioness or a high fenced lioness if you prefer.

I was the ultimate sucker...showed up the first day and uncased the 458 to sight it in for plainsgame (cant explain why a 458 - it seemed right for Africa at the time) and the first shot sailed about 2" right and an inch low and the PH said thats good.

Then he revealed that they were looking for someone to help them with a little problem of a lioness that had got in the fence and was feasting on their plainsgame. Of course there was a little trophy fee.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poorly shot, yet a nice Cape Buff Bull

Posts: 10797 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
A cow elephant at 9 paces.

Never said I was smart.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first was a cow cape buff. Bait for a leopard that never showed - and hasn't yet.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Impala, followed quickly by 16 other different plains game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First morning in in Namibia, I was going to say a blue wildebeast with my bow, but I actually shot a guinea fowl for my tracker with my bow because he wanted it for supper,, then I shot a really nice blue wildebeast with my bow, followed by 9 other plains game within the next two weeks, and leave again in August for another dose,,,drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Impala then Cape Buffalo

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gemsbok, I remember it like yesterday. It was about 70 yards, my first shot in Africa. It was facing us, and I took it in the chest. The animal took off in a hurry, and I could see the PH (now a good friend after 8 safaries together) was worried. He asked me about the shot, and I said I hit it 2 inches left of center at the base of the neck. We found the critter 50 yards away, with a hole just where I said. There was no more questioning the shots, but I wish they were all that good.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
A zebra in the Eastern Cape of South Africa on the first morning of my safari in 2004. Also was my 40th birthday that day. Enjoyed cuban cigars and Dom that evening! Like others, I remember it just as if it occured yesterday.... Smiler

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first trip to Africa and my PH left me in a blind with my bow and a radio. A couple hours later a herd of impala came to drink and I picked out the one with the best horns and whacked him. archer

The only time I can remember being so excited was the first time I saw a real live woman with her clothes off. Big Grin

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Elephant...But it wasn't for lack of effort or want on my part as I was trying to bag a blonded, double-breasted mattress thumper who was hanging out around the African Hunter Magazine headquarters...Trophy fees on those are just never ending though.
beer
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Impala. 2002. Still wearing my clothes from the flight to Jo-berg, and shooting a borrowed rifle...

Cheers
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Mine was a Stenbok, a 5" fellow and I have him full body mounted in a coffee table exactly like I saw him for the first time, resting in the shade of a small bush in the sands of the Kalahari.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cape buffalo with Russ Broom in 1994.