New
Find
Notify
Tools

report on Uganda safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reported elsewhere on my "crashing and burning" in Uganda, but the safari itself is more worthy of comment!
A "new" African hunting destination is exciting; several AR guys have been to Uganda and reported, and I suspect a lot of us are interested!
Uganda is different. It's a very small country with (generally) good road networks, with too many people and limited room remaining for wildlife. It is also exceedingly beautiful and friendly. Winston Churchill didn't always get things right (as in the Gallipoli disaster), but he was dead right when he described Uganda as "the pearl of Africa." Despite its small size, game availability varies quite a bit from both north to south and east to west. There are currently five hunting outfitters, all pretty much fledgling operations; and there are definitely some good areas. With such a small industry, it would be sensible if the outfitters could get along--but there has been much disinformation promulgated by one operator or another about his competition. Rather than fall into that trap, I will restrict my comments to the outfitter I hunted with, Christian Weth of Uganda Wildlife Safaris; and the specific areas I hunted.
Despite suggestions to the contrary, Uganda Wildlife Safaris does have legal and viable hunting areas, both private land and public. My safari, with partner Bill Jones and led by veteran professional hunter Tony Moore, took place from March 8-March 24, 2011. We started in the Kafu River drainage, a vast area of private holdings about three hours north of Kampala. From there we went on north to the Aswa-Lolim area. This is a former game reserve, now private land, north of Murchison Falls National Park. While in this area we also went northwest to the Ajai Game Reserve, on the west bank of the Nile.
The Kafu River area is SUPERB. It holds hundreds of miles of papyrus-lined rivers with a limitless supply of sitatunga that have, literally, never been hunted. I am convinced this this is best place in Africa today to hunt sitatunga, and I'll be surprised if they don't pull out the world record East African sitatunga in short order. The variety of other game is not extreme, but what there is occurs in plenty. Nile bushbuck and East African bohor reedbuck wander about like goats. Oribi are legion, and there are lots of E.A. bush duiker.
The camp there was a tent camp, nothing fancy, but plenty comfortable and just fine. My partner, Bill Jones, got a lovely sitatunga there. I didn't hunt them--I have that variety and was watching my budget--but I would love to go back and look seriously for a monster sitatunga.
The Aswa-Lolim area has problems. Murchison Falls is a gorgeous National Park, almost certainly overstocked with every species present--but the hunting area to the north relies on game coming out of the park. This does happen. We got buffalo, Jackson's hartebeeste, and superb Uganda kob, so all went well. But Aswa-Lolim is very much a marginal buffalo area, and one cannot count on a lot of opportunity. On the other hand, these buffalo are very much within the boundaries established for Nile buffalo (north of the Victoria Nile, along the Albert Nile), which makes hunting them much more worth the risk than if they were the more common southern Cape buffalo. The outfitter had a beautiful camp sited on a ridge along the park boundary...but because of water and private land issues we had to sleep in an African guest house across the Albert Nile bridge. Accommodations were thus sub-standard, but food was consistently very good.
We took a day trip up to the Ajai Wildlife Reserve, on the west bank of the Albert Nile about two hours farther north. This area is a beautiful gallery forest with more colobus monkeys than I've ever seen...but as a hunting area it needs a whole lot of recovery. There are a few kob, waterbuck, and bushbuck, but Ajai is perhaps mostly famous as the site of Theodore Roosevelt's "Rhino Camp" in 1909!
My spin: Uganda Wildlife Safaris has unlimited potential for East African sitatunga and the general run of Uganda plains game. Nile buffalo are available, but far from certain, and that's probably where outfitter Christian Weth should focus his efforts.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Here are some of the first reports to come out of Uganda by AR member Don Hooker, aka 'ddrhook', whilst on safari with Steve "Shakari" Robinson of Kuduland Safaris:

Uganda Exploratory hunt: I dreamed of Africa

Bell’s Base Camp: The Greek River Area

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Craig, and happy to hear your doing OK. Very glad to see you posting here again...I guess the silver lining (mostly for us!) is that you have had to sit down long enough that you can play with us on the internet. Smiler

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and glad you are feeling well enough to post. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Back at the keyboard, that's a wonderful sign!

Thanks for the Uganda summary and hope you're out amongst them soon enough.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your hunt report and your honest assessment of the concessions you hunted and outfitter you hunted with. I echo the sentiments above and am glad you are feeling well enough to hit the PC!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Craig, great to hear from you! Get better fast, ya got a lot more hunting to do. Wink Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your buffalo and Royal...that was outstanding! Glad your up to writing some, take care of yourself, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Craig. I am also glad to hear that you are recovering well and I hope you find yourself back in the bush hunting once again as soon as possible saluteUBIQUE

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
You can't keep a good man down. Semper Fi patriot

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, my friend.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are feeling good enough to post a bit. Hope all is well and wish you the best.

At Dallas, you were thinking about Royal antelope in Ghana before Uganda. Did you connect?

Get well soon.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 2-fer. You are getting well enough to write and your trip report is very welcome. Certainly appreciate your sharing your trip and look forward to the pics either here or on TAA.

Great to have ya back.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great adventure -- you get to report on a brand new safari hunting area -- what could be better than that? Can't wait to read more specific details.

Next thing you know, We'll be reading about your exploratory safari to Sudan, or even Libya. However I suggest you get your ticker back up to snuff before biting off these adventures. I'm afraid you might find a mild heart attack to be the least of you problems in either one of these safari locales!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one great trophy in Libya that I would truly love to bag, but I fear it's one of a kind, and somebody is likely to beat me to him! Especially now with my wings clipped back a bit!

I did go to Ghana enroute to Uganda. Steve Kobrine is the outfitter there. He has his stuff together! I got a fantastic royal antelope right off the bat, then a Maxwell's duiker. We spent the rest of the hunt looking for black duiker. They are there: Lots of tracks, two quick glimpses. Royal antelope and Maxwell's duiker are pretty reliable, and I'm sure somebody will get a black duiker pretty soon.
It's a very interesting hunt!
Cheers, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see your are feeling well enough to write a great hunt report! Thanks to all your wonderful articles, shows and DVDs I will be on my first safari in less than 100 days. I cannot wait to see where your next hunt report comes from. From one retired U.S. military man to another; thanks for your service sir!

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. If I can figure out how to work my DVD player I am going to start watching and studying your elephant dvd today.

Glad you are out of the hospital and doing well.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for the report, craig. Would ove to see some pics!!
Glad to hear you are feeling well!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig:
Just received your Boddington on Lions and, as usual, a great job by all involved. Very informative, well narrated and some great visual scenes. brought back some memories.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report sir, and please keep feeling better.

"limitless supply of sitatunga" - now you've gone and done it. Uganda just moved way up on my list.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig: Thanks for the Uganda report. It does take a lot to keep you down. I'm very glad you are feeling well enough to return to the key board and hopefully soon to the bush. MMP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you like big number there are lots of record book animals in Uganda. Craig is a better judge of that than me Steve (shakari) Robinson and I talked about the numbers of record size animals we encountered while we where there. I'm Glad Craig made it this year I can't wait to see him in Dallas to swap stories about Uganda

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great report! Thanks and best wishes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig, Great report. Even more happy to hear you are doing fine. I am sure you are getting a bit bored playing handball with the hospital jello by now. I am also sure Donna isnt going to let you do anything until you are 100%. Roll Eyes You know they always have our best interests at heart even if we might not quite agree somtimes. Big Grin Keep us posted and I would also like to hear some more about the little ones in Ghana.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Glad but not surprised you had a great hunt but even more glad to hear you're on the road to recovery! tu2

The other thing about Uganda that really takes my breath away is the incredibly beautiful scenery. I've seen many good looking parts of Africa but nothing at all comes close to the beauty of Uganda.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Bunn:
Here are some of the first reports to come out of Uganda by AR member Don Hooker, aka 'ddrhook', whilst on safari with Steve "Shakari" Robinson of Kuduland Safaris:

Uganda Exploratory hunt: I dreamed of Africa

Bell’s Base Camp: The Greek River Area

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/4741047131/p/1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Uganda, seems to be the place to go if you want to see what is left of old Africa.

We had better all go soon, before it all disappears in front of our very eyes. beer

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great experience, great to hear from you.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig. It is great to hear you are doing so well. The Ghana trip is on my list in the next couple years. I really want that Royal.
That trophy in Libya you mentioned might be an exciting trip but that full mount would be the ugliest thing in any trophy room.

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one point of interest LANE was the second american to hunt the pian upe area of Uganda. as far as I know. and I was third meet Lane in camp a true gentleman

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Glad you're feeling a bit better!

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote