Find
Notify
Tools

Sight for AR-15.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I just ordered a Rock River AR-15 (Elite Operator 2) today and I'm debating which kind of sight to put on it soon. I plan to eventually put a 3x Trijicon ACOG on it at some point but I just don't have the money right now.

Right now, I'm thinking of putting an Aimpoint red-dot sight. Any suggestions on models??

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Rock River ARs but really haven't hammered them much so far. One is the Predator Pursuit model and the other is a mid-length. Though I don't have any experience with the Aimpoint, I really like my EOTech 512. The 1 moa dot plus larger 65 moa circle make the sight picture real quick. Of course, unless you buy an extra "magnifier", you'll just have 1x with the EOTech.

BTW, given your forum name, check out the picture of my hunting buddy's eland that he took under the Hunting->Photo Albums and Videos->Free State Eland thread.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Also.....looked at your buddy's Eland. WOW!! Eeker FINE bull!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For close up under 100 yards an Eotec, or an Aim Point...

For up to 100 yards and out an ACOG or a Leupold CQT...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock River sells a pretty sweet base for an EOTEC with a rear sight for cowitness. Nice set up for 100 meters n in.

You will really love the ACOG. I have a compact 4x model. Not so great for in close work like clearing a hallway or even a basement; but 25yards and out she's a dream.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a leupold 1.75x 5 MK 4 on mine works really well

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every Aimpoint I've owned has eventually had a problem with the battery compartment ... so I've stopped using them.

Have two EoTechs and two Vortex Strike Fire's. The EiTechs have 1 minute dots and work well. The Strike Fires are inexpensive but have 4 minute dots. Am able to get about a 2 MOA group with them.

Also use a couple of Burris Full Field II 3-9x40s and one 4.5-14x42 with their Ballistic Plex reticles. They work well for hunting with the 6.8 SPC IIs and the .300 BLK.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the AIMPOINT. I have had some that were beat and they worked fine.

"DRSS"

Posts: 74 | Location: FL | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that cheap ($250) leupold on a couple AR's. Have a horseshoe acog on 6.8 stag. Soon as our road opens end of March, I pick up an armalite 338 fed.

Wondering what scope I need? This 338 fed will be the beater on atv& snowmachine & roadhunting and maybe in the boat from time to time. Moose, bear, caribou, and occasional wolf we see out and about. I really like riding with AR across my chest, quick shooting, and nice. In fact nowadays, only use the 30-378, 7 mag, ect when I specifically go back, hunt up on summits. The AR's has become my go to gun most the time.

I like the acog, but I hear yu have to have them recharged every 7-8 years, costs 400 bucks now. I've never had to take a leupold off any gun yet to have it recharged.

I bought a VX3 Illuminated and like it, but wish leu had better, brighter glass.

Don't think I will ever buy a non-illum scope again.

Thinking about a 2-10, 1.5-6, something on that order. Would go up to 1400, but rather spend around 900-1100. In my head: Nightforce, Conquest, Leupold, and as much as I like the Acog, rather not get another over the recharge fee in 8 years.

Have to be Illuminated, 30 mm tube if possible, and in my dreams: Illum horseshoe around an Illum dot with crosshairs and the best glass that is available; no satisfyin some of us;;; I know. Which brand & model would you all choose for a 338 fed AR10.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO Nightforce 2x10! If weight is NOT a concern.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I really been kicking around the Nightforce; even called about their catalog and they are sending it.

Only draw back I can see with Nightforce is their reticles. From what I have seen on the computer, they are quite fine & not very intense; the red isn't that bright as with acog. Another thing about acog is that horseshoe; it really helps me with quick shots; pull up bang kinda thing.

What reticles does everybody like with their Nightforce scopes and why? How does Nightforce reticle Illumination compare with Leupold's illumination?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
Thanks, I really been kicking around the Nightforce; even called about their catalog and they are sending it.

Only draw back I can see with Nightforce is their reticles. From what I have seen on the computer, they are quite fine & not very intense; the red isn't that bright as with acog. Another thing about acog is that horseshoe; it really helps me with quick shots; pull up bang kinda thing.

What reticles does everybody like with their Nightforce scopes and why? How does Nightforce reticle Illumination compare with Leupold's illumination?

Thanks

ACOG is more of a quick fire arrangement...Nightfrce is based upon control fire precision. I have the NP1 Varmit reticle on a 300WSM tactical rig (NSX 3x15x50)-- love it. But my others are the NP2 reticle. So damn easy to use compared to mildot. Brightness is subjective. They are not going to cause you dialation issues under darker conditions. They are meant for tactical applications so don't expect them to light the sky.

Check out the specs on the reticles. They provide subtension information. The tactical reticles are IIRC a bit thicker than the bench rest reticles.

For me --- Nightforce over Leupold any day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the info & opinions. I really want to get the Nightforce, never had one; have a bunch of Leupolds; you know how that goes. I looked at website reticles, waiting on catalog to make a decision. Our road out of here doesn't open until early April, 338 fed armalite sitting at gun store now. I'll be using this gun for moose& bear, ect; mostly road hunting right before dusk & in the summer when it never gets dark anyway. We have a few 223 flat tops. I could always put the scope on one of them anyway if it doesn't work on 338.

What is the main attribute, Nightforce has in spades over Leupold? Better Glass, Reliability, Reticles or am I completely missing the point by getting a Nightforce for an AR-10 that will mostly be used for hunting? Thanks